Watchable telly

dog

Thanks to the person who recommended Suburra Blood on Rome. 8 episodes in and enjoying it a lot. 

It would be unfair to Gomorrah but it's a lot like Gomorrah. 

Doesn't quite hit those lofty heights but if you like Italian gang stuff you'll enjoy it. Infinitely better than Ganglands the French drama I dragged myself through recently. 

On 04/03/2023 at 06:13, Chester40 said:

Sounds right up my street. Cheers.

Good recommendation @NottsRam....

Hopefully more of the Alex Murtagh story to come.

My eye has just been caught by the title 'The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker' which is possibly the greatest ever title for a documentary, I will watch and feed back!

Edited by Chester40

On 28/10/2021 at 17:19, therealhantsram said:

Only Murders In The Building. Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez in a parody of the true crime podcast genre that has been so popular in recent years.

Some episodes are a bit hit and miss, but taking the series overall, it's more hit than miss, and the finale is well worth the wait delivering  full-on farce and some real belly-laughs.

Find it on Disney+ 

Finally got on to this and I'm enjoying it so far (Season One). Always loved Steve Martin and Martin Short is excellent too. Selena Gomez is quite annoying though, but maybe that's testament to her acting skills!

19 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Good recommendation @NottsRam....

Hopefully more of the Alex Murtagh story to come.

My eye has just been caught by the title 'The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker' which is possibly the greatest ever title for a documentary, I will watch and feed back!

Glad you enjoyed it, i just happenend to watch it, was disappointed that it finished before the trial,  and the next day the court verdict came back.

I started watching the Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker but did not really get into it.  Let me know if you enjoy it as i may give it another go.

I have just put Dublin Narcos (Sky Documentaries) on my planner so that's next for me.

23 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

It’s a Sin on Netflix, drama set in the 80s with a group of gay friends as AIDS hit…harrowing and compelling…

17 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

In my top 5 dramas/mini-series of the last 5 years. Outstanding.

Watched it when it was aired on Ch4 a couple of years ago. Totally rocked me. Outstanding piece of work. Quite coincidentally, was watching an episode of Gogglebox the other night on E4, quite old episode, and it showed them watching the final episode and got me thinking about it. The young welsh lad who was taken advantage of by the Arsenal lad sticks in my mind as quite cruel.

21 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Watched it when it was aired on Ch4 a couple of years ago. Totally rocked me. Outstanding piece of work. Quite coincidentally, was watching an episode of Gogglebox the other night on E4, quite old episode, and it showed them watching the final episode and got me thinking about it. The young welsh lad who was taken advantage of by the Arsenal lad sticks in my mind as quite cruel.

All very sad really ?

16 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Semi-autobiographical writing from Russell T Davies, who is himself Welsh. The ending, he says, was based on the death of his own husband. 

There are people that on the face of it appear to "have it all", but you can never know what they are handling in their private lives. I am thankful that I have not had to deal with such trauma in my life.

Just finished series 2 of The Mayor of Kingstown. It's not quite as explosive as the first series, but it's pretty damn good all the same and it seems very much a tee-up for a third and final season which I have a hunch, will be an absolute belter. Sadly, Renner remains in physical rehab and will be for the foreseeable, but the show's producer is making all the right noises so there's hope that once the Renner is up and able, production will begin straight away. I hope so, as this is one of my favourite things on TV. Taylor Sheridan can seemingly do no wrong right now.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11712058/

On that note, his second Yellowstone spin-off, 1923 is also excellent. Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren take the leads and it fairly rattles along. Again, this was renewed before series 1 even finished and I'd give it a firm recommendation for anyone who enjoyed Yellowstone or the brilliant 1883 prequel.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13991232/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Just finished series 2 of The Mayor of Kingstown. It's not quite as explosive as the first series, but it's pretty damn good all the same and it seems very much a tee-up for a third and final season which I have a hunch, will be an absolute belter. Sadly, Renner remains in physical rehab and will be for the foreseeable, but the show's producer is making all the right noises so there's hope that once the Renner is up and able, production will begin straight away. I hope so, as this is one of my favourite things on TV. Taylor Sheridan can seemingly do no wrong right now.

On that note, his second Yellowstone spin-off, 1923 is also excellent. Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren take the leads and it fairly rattles along. Again, this was renewed before series 1 even finished and I'd give it a firm recommendation for anyone who enjoyed Yellowstone or the brilliant 1883 prequel.

Currently about 6 episodes in to 1923. I find these things captivating and the casting has been excellent in all three branches of the 'franchise' (if that's the right word!)

51 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Currently about 6 episodes in to 1923. I find these things captivating and the casting has been excellent in all three branches of the 'franchise' (if that's the right word!)

Never realised I want to be a cowboy until I started watching this stuff ? 

Looks a hard life, but a pretty amazing one all the same. The writer grew up a cowboy himself which I think is why all these series seem to feel so authentic. 

10 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Just watching Tulsa King. Same geezer created it. 

Finally got around to Clarksons Farm II and watched 4 episodes.

Somewhat disappointed tbh.

It feels very contrived. Whereas it was funny seeing him make basic and understandable rookie mistakes in the first series, you now know they are intentional and scripted.

Does anybody really think he still doesn't know how to operate a hitch, that he doesn't know cows will get out of a field or that the thumb accident wasn't filmed after the event?

And why did they show the cocks crowing at 4.07 am with the sun rising in late September/early October?  Ok, we get it cocks crow (although the only crow at dawn is largely an urban myth), but at that time of year it would have been 6.30 or so. It probably didn't seem funny, I dunno.

It was Caleb's innocence and rural charm and Clarkson's genuine ignorance that made the first one so brilliant, but that is no longer present and what was a fly-on-the-wall documentary has turned into a sitcom.

I highly doubt Clarkson will get his Flying the Flag for British Agriculture this year with his ability to just buy more and more expensive kit with his Amazon chequebook. Farmers are on their arse and him spending cash on more and more exotic projects will (I think) just make them frustrated.

Having said ALL that, I'm quite enjoying it, just that now much of the novelty has evaporated it's gone from being excellent to not bad.

Based on the high standards of the first one, 6/10. Based on its own merits, 6.5 or 7/10.

On 10/03/2023 at 13:12, Bob The Badger said:

Finally got around to Clarksons Farm II and watched 4 episodes.

Somewhat disappointed tbh.

It feels very contrived. Whereas it was funny seeing him make basic and understandable rookie mistakes in the first series, you now know they are intentional and scripted.

Does anybody really think he still doesn't know how to operate a hitch, that he doesn't know cows will get out of a field or that the thumb accident wasn't filmed after the event?

And why did they show the cocks crowing at 4.07 am with the sun rising in late September/early October?  Ok, we get it cocks crow (although the only crow at dawn is largely an urban myth), but at that time of year it would have been 6.30 or so. It probably didn't seem funny, I dunno.

It was Caleb's innocence and rural charm and Clarkson's genuine ignorance that made the first one so brilliant, but that is no longer present and what was a fly-on-the-wall documentary has turned into a sitcom.

I highly doubt Clarkson will get his Flying the Flag for British Agriculture this year with his ability to just buy more and more expensive kit with his Amazon chequebook. Farmers are on their arse and him spending cash on more and more exotic projects will (I think) just make them frustrated.

Having said ALL that, I'm quite enjoying it, just that now much of the novelty has evaporated it's gone from being excellent to not bad.

Based on the high standards of the first one, 6/10. Based on its own merits, 6.5 or 7/10.

I actually preferred the second series.

Yes, it’s contrived, like all reality TV. However, he knows how to draw an audience. He also knows how to play us so we  root for him against the village. In spite of all of that, he seems quite an affable character.

I found the series hugely entertaining, even though it’s part comedy, part reality.

On 06/03/2023 at 14:02, 86 Hair Islands said:

Never realised I want to be a cowboy until I started watching this stuff ? 

Looks a hard life, but a pretty amazing one all the same. The writer grew up a cowboy himself which I think is why all these series seem to feel so authentic. 

Did you watch "the making of" programme after Yellowstone - Taylor Sheridan is one talented guy - writer and actor. The attention to detail, the need for all the actors to go on intensive horsemanship training, the authenticity of the clothes, wagons etc.  It's no wonder Yellowstone, 1883 and 1923 are all so good.   

2 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Did you watch "the making of" programme after Yellowstone - Taylor Sheridan is one talented guy - writer and actor. The attention to detail, the need for all the actors to go on intensive horsemanship training, the authenticity of the clothes, wagons etc.  It's no wonder Yellowstone, 1883 and 1923 are all so good.   

I haven't seen it, indeed I didn't even know it existed. I probably won't either because absurdly talented, good-looking and successful people are annoying bar-stewards ?