Frank - The Signings So Far...

Sheikh n Bake

What are everyone's thoughts on his ability in the transfer market so far? Whilst Pep can sign whoever he likes for Man City, lower league managers even with an open cheque book may struggle to attract a good calibre of player, so its not just value for money that signings should be graded on. Here are my thoughts so far:

Harry Wilson: This lad is exciting to watch. He's clearly more than good enough for this level and Frank did well to sign him over plenty of competition.

Mason Mount: Another class signing in my opinion.  A future England international. Great to see him in a Derby shirt working his magic.

Florian Jozefzoon: 6 Doesn't quite have the end product for me. I'm not writing him off yet, but I reckon he'll make a decent squad player at best. Probably out shined by Wilson.

Jack Marriott: 9 He's hit some real form. I also love his movement off the ball. Looks like he's got a real future and signed permanent, which means we can only profit from this deal. 

George Evans: Signed for very little, but achieved very little. I'll give him time.

Duane Holmes: An exciting player who is yet to stamp his mark as a regular. I reckon his time will come down the season to stamp his mark.

Scott Malone: An integral part of the team now. An exciting player to watch and has made a real impact already, Would have liked to have seen Lowe given a chance, but can't be relied upon alongside Fozzy to remain injury free.

Martyn Waghorn: Cost a lot of money and simply hasn't delivered to his price tag so far. Still willing to give the lad time, but I think this is Franks worst signing (not in terms of quality, but the cost associated with the deal).

Fikayo Tomori: I wanted to cry after watching him on his debut, he looked all over the place. However, ever since he's continued to prove me wrong. His pace at the back is refreshing and has saved our bacon on numerous occasions.

Just my view so far. I think Wilson, Mount and Marriott have been some of the best signings we've made in previous years. I also think the loan market has been great value and may be the only way we can add real quality in January. If I was to make a permanent signing, it would be Centre Mid with  most of our CM's going out of contract in the summer.

What are everyone elses thoughts? 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A fair assessment, he’s been very astute so far for only one window. The best part of his vision is buying quality with resale value (or adding it to existing players). So the likes of Bogle, Lowe, Marriott and Holmes (and Mount and Wilson for their parent clubs) are now increased in quality and value. That bodes well for young talent coming in on future loans and younger promising signings wanting to play for him to propel their career.

He is doing ok but so far

wilson - excellent as expected by me

mount - very promising player 

tomari - I have been surprised how well he has done but still not great in the air 

malone - decidingly average - going forward ok but defensively very questionable 

holmes - not scared to play but so far hasn’t showed enough 

waghorn - yes we paid to much but the right side of midfield is his best option but not a centre forward 

Marriott- l like the type of goals he scores and we will make money of him

jo flo - quick yes but disappears just as quick so no more than a sub for me 

Evans - basically seen nothing of him in a derby shirt 

2 bonuses - bogle playing and Bennett looking decent and contributing and others possibly going to be coming through 

For me:

Wilson 8- Slow start turned into quality, unbelievable technique on the football and looks to be producing more week in, week out now.

Mount 9- Incrdible potential and all round midfielder, impact was more noticeable at the start of the season but even more quietly recently he goes about his business superbly.

Josefzoon 4- Theres ability there but he hasn’t really shown it enough, granted having not been given much chance. His general play concerns me a bit.

Evans 6- No chance yet, looks like a solid player from the little I’ve seen.

Marriott 9- Immense all round striker, after a quiet start getting fit. Could be our best striker this century imo. Has the best parts of all the others rolled into one.

Tomori 8- Prem quality defender on the ground, conference quality in the air. Dodgy but a great player, wonder what Chelsea’s future plans for him are?

Waghorn 7- Since this ain’t about value for money, he’s looked a solid player who brings balance to the side. Needs to be played more.

Malone 7-  Great in attack, defensive liability at times. Got better in recent weeks than when he first joined

Holmes 6- Little chance to impress yet but looks to have real potential in the way he glides round the pitch. Big future imo.

Some great moves in there on a limited budget so well done to the recruitment team, much better than recent years. Only flojo sticks out as being a poor move so far, but the concern is not many of the permanent signings are established yet, tho perhaps given their ages (Evans for example) this is by design. Sounds like we have no money again in January so the loan market it’ll have to be, beyond cover for injuries I’d prioritise a will Hughes type centre mid and proper RB competition for bogle.

5 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Some great moves in there on a limited budget...

What?!

Not that old chestnut again. How much did we spend on Flo-Jo, Waghorn, Malone and Marriott. Of them all Marriott was a good buy and was always going to be a good gamble.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What?!

Not that old chestnut again. How much did we spend on Flo-Jo, Waghorn, Malone and Marriott. Of them all Marriott was a good buy and was always going to be a good gamble.

Pretty much all covered fee wise by Vydra. 

Wages wise Vydra, Bent, Warnock and Wiemann should cover it, so I'd say limited budget is appropriate.

13 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Pretty much all covered fee wise by Vydra. 

Wages wise Vydra, Bent, Warnock and Wiemann should cover it, so I'd say limited budget is appropriate.

Nope, the amount spent was not that little - how much were all four of those signings plus the loans.

In my opinion Tomori is fine in the air...only struggles against big strikers whose strength it is...Keogh is similar.On ly Curtis is happy against them and he is more a old school centre half.

Evans is a poor signing so far injury prone and was before his signing..cheap so maybe worth taking a chance.Shown nothing yet in any game including U23 where Thorne shows he is in a different class to Evans.

Jofezoon needs games similar at Brentford till he got a run of games

Waghorn and Holmes ok need more game time before a full judgement can be made.

Malone just has advertised by his previous clubs good going forward defensively suspect.

Wilson, Marriott and Mount excellent and can and will get better.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

What?!

We spent a lot of money, but that money was raised by Vydra. Lampards actual budget to start the season with was nothing, probably even negative. That’s the definition of a limited budget in my book. 

Best piece of business was shifting Martin off the wage bill, probably enabled Mount and Wilson coming in for the season in my opinion, judging by what they’ve achieved so far.... and what Martin has, it’s a good deal 

3 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Best piece of business was shifting Martin off the wage bill, probably enabled Mount and Wilson coming in for the season in my opinion, judging by what they’ve achieved so far.... and what Martin has, it’s a good deal 

I’m not sure Hull will be paying 100% of his wages mate? Unless I’ve missed something. 

But you’re right, a good chunk saved can help lots.  I wouldn’t have thought our loans cost us lots of money either.  It’s the Frank discount init.

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yep. How it's funded isn't the point.

Well, yes it is. I said a tight budget, the budget is what you have to spend without bringing money in. If you bring money in to supplement it and spend big then that’s down to you and believing you don’t need whatever assets you have to sell. Doesn’t change the fact that the budget was small to start with.

Archived