10 years of the Big Flag

therams69

The Ramstrust were involved in raising money for the flag, along with quite a few who had nothing to do with the trust.

Originally the flag was stored under the East stand and Big John Richardson looked after it and a few of us would meet before games and take the flag into the West corner of the North stand and then walk, carrying the flags over everybodies heads from there to the South east corner before kick off.

Nicks done a great job since taking over and I can't imagine many would be able to match his commitment.

My only disapointment was that we did ask for the flag to be present at Big Johns funeral, but for some reason it didn't arrive.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick. I had the pleasure of travelling the country with you for a few years following the Rams. I can safely say your dedication to the cause is second to none. I know first hand the time and effort you have put into this club with no more reward than the desire to improve the atmosphere and experience for all Rams fans. The atmosphere is what differentiates football from other sports and their is no greater feeling than being in a stand full of fellow supporters in full voice. Although I can't get to games as often as I would like, my heart is never far from the cause. Myself, Nathan & Bailey will be making the trip from West Wales to Norwich so hopefully we can meet for a catch up there. Keep up the good work my friend, your efforts are greatly appreciated. Mark.

UTR

Great job Nick, respect your commitment. I love the flag, just a little piece of history and it's unique bits like that which define our club.

That flag will be around a long time I think. Even if you get sick of lugging it around, it'll end up somewhere in the ground permanently. Or in a DCFC museum with a little paragraph about it's history with your name on it!

Just a question though, how is the flag holding up? Any rips/tears you can see? Stains? Fading? Like I say, hopefully 10 years is just the start and the flag stays with us a long time. 

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 15:36, ossieram said:

The Ramstrust were involved in raising money for the flag, along with quite a few who had nothing to do with the trust.

Originally the flag was stored under the East stand and Big John Richardson looked after it and a few of us would meet before games and take the flag into the West corner of the North stand and then walk, carrying the flags over everybodies heads from there to the South east corner before kick off.

Nicks done a great job since taking over and I can't imagine many would be able to match his commitment.

My only disapointment was that we did ask for the flag to be present at Big Johns funeral, but for some reason it didn't arrive.

I do remember this Ossie but cant remember what happened and why it never happened. Naturally if it was my error then full apologies.

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 23:05, Bontddu Ram said:

Nick. I had the pleasure of travelling the country with you for a few years following the Rams. I can safely say your dedication to the cause is second to none. I know first hand the time and effort you have put into this club with no more reward than the desire to improve the atmosphere and experience for all Rams fans. The atmosphere is what differentiates football from other sports and their is no greater feeling than being in a stand full of fellow supporters in full voice. Although I can't get to games as often as I would like, my heart is never far from the cause. Myself, Nathan & Bailey will be making the trip from West Wales to Norwich so hopefully we can meet for a catch up there. Keep up the good work my friend, your efforts are greatly appreciated. Mark.

UTR

You know what i think of you mate, TOP top man! Thank you for your kind words but you were also part of the sterling effort all them years ago and very much the mainstream of it. I would go as far as saying that we had better atmospheres back then particularly at away games than we do now. Peterborough away was the one. Amazing!!!

Look forward to catching up at Norwich mate where we both know it wont be rocking! :-(

13 hours ago, Tombo said:

Great job Nick, respect your commitment. I love the flag, just a little piece of history and it's unique bits like that which define our club.

That flag will be around a long time I think. Even if you get sick of lugging it around, it'll end up somewhere in the ground permanently. Or in a DCFC museum with a little paragraph about it's history with your name on it!

Just a question though, how is the flag holding up? Any rips/tears you can see? Stains? Fading? Like I say, hopefully 10 years is just the start and the flag stays with us a long time. 

Absolutely Tombo. It is history like you say and stuff like that is always good. Did I mention that I have a dcfc flagman tattoo on my leg. Sad maybe I know!! To be fair I have an English rose and the ram on my leg so just added the words on some years later. More so of a cheeky little reminder for when I am older to look back on kinda thing.

Museum would be good. I know we have plans to do something along them lines when we eventually go up so would be the perfect place.

Its holding up very well. It has been stitched a fair few times for any major cuts which can always happen when setting up over seats. I take it to the place in Westfield now and they are really good at sorting it. Few other little cuts but nothing major. Stain wise also pretty good. If it can survive a Balti pie at Forest Green away it can survive the amount of coke thrown on it at Boro! Thankfully the washing machines at Moor Farm are really good and when it is washed it comes out really good so I would say very good condition for its age.

Other issue we have is that should we ever look at replacing it, the costs would be very high. Sure Ossie may be able to correct me if i am wrong but believe it cost £1800 when we bought it. I think a flag of this size would probably be around 3k now!

On 15/12/2018 at 15:36, ossieram said:

Was that Big John who posted as The Ram Ossie?

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

@therams69 can you explain how you went about upgrading the flag by replacing the old yellow Derby County scroll on it with the far better looking Est 1884 on it? 

2pyyref.jpg

Yeah sure... Obviously we changed our logo and the club wanted the flag replacing so they sorted it all out. Kinda think it looks better without the yellow when comparing in fairness.

They sent it off, had the yellow cut out and sown a new logo in...

Archived