3rd Round FA Cup Draw, Monday 3rd December

Day

4 hours ago, CHCDerby said:

I can't believe people are getting into disagreements about this like it would ever be a choice. 

It's like saying, Would you rather get married to the ugliest girl in the world who is a multi Billionaire or would you rather have a one night stand with your best mates mum who is unbelievably fit. 

The mum... every time.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, David said:

Go on to both Burnley and Bournemouth forums and pose the question, would you swap all your time in the Premier League for one FA Cup win. Why are we ignoring Leicester’s feat, because it’s somehow unattainable whilst at the same time choosing to win a cup that remind me when the last Championship club won that?

You’re right we talk about Baiano, Igor and Wanchope as it was a great time that you wouldn’t have seen unfortunately, watching Wanchope waltz his way through the United defence and slot it away is a memory I will hold on to as highly as any fan will their trophies. 

That’s what we’re talking about isn’t it, memories? You don’t need a trophy to remember the time you chucked your guts up outside Volvo before the game against Swansea. 

Some of our fans will not have seen us in the Premier League, we’ve been here for over 10 seasons now, so if we work on the basis of the first 4 or 5 years having little memory of anything, you have kids leaving school next year that will give anything to see us playing the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea week in week out. The superstars they can only watch on MOTD.

I know because back in 97 when Pride Park opened I was that kid, sat that in the North Stand as fans at the opposite ended shouted BALD EAGLE’S and we would return with BARMY ARMY.

No FA Cup but amazing memories and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. 

Doesn’t everyone (including myself) talk about the Jim Smith era because most of our fan base have never seen Derby win anything and finishing 8th/9th in the Premier League is the best we’ve achieved since the 1970s? Aren’t you holding on to those memories because you’ve not seen us do any better?

Nobody talks about out FA Cup win because you’d have to be at least in your 80s to have seen it.

You’re saying today’s kids would like to see us play Man Utd, Liverpool etc, but surely winning something and seeing seeing us actually achieve something is more of a memory/landmark? If I was a kid now and we won something that team would be iconic and legendary. I would remember it forever. It’s quite depressing that the best I’ve seen is us finishing 8th. We didn’t even get into Europe!

Now I would like to see us in the top division one day because I was a kid during the Bald Eagle’s reign and wasn’t really old enough to fully appreciate it (and also to hopefully banish the “worst team” branding that we have) but I would take a guaranteed cup win over some unknown promotion.

I would hope that Wigan fans think that winning the FA Cup in 2013 is better than anything that they’ve achieved league wise.

14 hours ago, David said:

Leicester City, Premier League Champions

Burnley, qualified for Europe

Crystal Palace, FA Cup runners up

Bournemouth, Watford, Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield.

How many Championship clubs have won the FA Cup and gone on to be promoted within 5 years?

So of 12 (ignoring last years promotes,)promoted teams 1 has some Silverware and 8 are still there but many struggling at the bottom. 

I was in favour of "dumping the cup" for a shot at promotion, but thinking about it I'll take the Cup, if its an either or.

12 hours ago, reveldevil said:

If you couldn't be arsed to go for 3 play off finals, never mind the Anglo-Italian Cup, why should an FA Cup final be any different?

For the Leicester PO Final and AI Cup, I stopped going (for a good number of years).  Part skint/Part bringing up a young family/Part lost interest.

For the WBA & QPR Finals (By now, a STH again), we'd already got into the habit of holidaying abroad for the last 2 weeks of May... 

WBA:  Holiday booked in the January, on the cocky understanding that we were so far ahead of third place, auto's were guaranteed and Play-Offs were for the also-rans!  Thank You Billy!!  We (me & B-I-L) looked into still flying to Palma as planned on the Saturday, then adding a return (and back to Palma again!) for a two day jaunt for the Monday Final!  We even wangled a free flat in That London for a night, but still weren't prepared to pay the £500+ each it would have cost us, for just one game that, let's face it, we were underdogs!  Had a great day in the sun.  Sangria, beers, tears of joy, and SBW at full voice... shared with an unknown family from Spondon... whilst the baggies in the bar next door cried into their San Miguel!  Fantastic!

QPR:  Holiday booked the previous September with the PO final in mind, with deliberate consideration to arrive back in Blighty on the Saturday, leaving plenty of time for the Monday Final... which was played on the Saturday!  A very big "DOH" on my part, as up to that point, I was under the impression that the Championship PO Final was always on the Monday (I think it had been, up to that year?)  We landed at EMA at 13:55, and walked in the front door at 14:55... telly on, beer out... I was over the disappointment by 17:15, whilst the rest of you were still trundling back to the coaches in the rain!  So glad I wasn't there that day!  LOL!

Any holidays interfering with a real life actual FA Cup Final would be well and truly ignored/cancelled/Not taken!!

... I bet you're glad you asked now!!  Ha Ha!

7 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

For the Leicester PO Final and AI Cup, I stopped going (for a good number of years).  Part skint/Part bringing up a young family/Part lost interest.

For the WBA & QPR Finals (By now, a STH again), we'd already got into the habit of holidaying abroad for the last 2 weeks of May... 

WBA:  Holiday booked in the January, on the cocky understanding that we were so far ahead of third place, auto's were guaranteed and Play-Offs were for the also-rans!  Thank You Billy!!  We (me & B-I-L) looked into still flying to Palma as planned on the Saturday, then adding a return (and back to Palma again!) for a two day jaunt for the Monday Final!  We even wangled a free flat in That London for a night, but still weren't prepared to pay the £500+ each it would have cost us, for just one game that, let's face it, we were underdogs!  Had a great day in the sun.  Sangria, beers, tears of joy, and SBW at full voice... shared with an unknown family from Spondon... whilst the baggies in the bar next door cried into their San Miguel!  Fantastic!

QPR:  Holiday booked the previous September with the PO final in mind, with deliberate consideration to arrive back in Blighty on the Saturday, leaving plenty of time for the Monday Final... which was played on the Saturday!  A very big "DOH" on my part, as up to that point, I was under the impression that the Championship PO Final was always on the Monday (I think it had been, up to that year?)  We landed at EMA at 13:55, and walked in the front door at 14:55... telly on, beer out... I was over the disappointment by 17:15, whilst the rest of you were still trundling back to the coaches in the rain!  So glad I wasn't there that day!  LOL!

Any holidays interfering with a real life actual FA Cup Final would be well and truly ignored/cancelled/Not taken!!

Brings back memories this does.

2B96C844-CB81-4A2C-8860-88C65417F976.jpeg

Used to love watching this is your life 

6 minutes ago, David said:

Brings back memories this does.

2B96C844-CB81-4A2C-8860-88C65417F976.jpeg

Used to love watching this is your life 

In light of the "Can't be arsed" comment, I thought a detailed but brief explanation was called for!  LOL!

Did I ever tell you about the time we got all 4 tyres slashed, and half the windows put through on the mini-bus at Cambridge Utd back in the day?  T'was a cold trip home, I can tell you!  

And the funny thing was... no, we must meet up some time... I'll tell you all about it then!

11 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

If there’s a World Cup or Euros that summer then the Play-Off Final is on a Saturday. If there isn’t it’s on the Monday.

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

So every alternate even number years then?

You'd have thought we'd notice.....?

Maybe it started from our 2007 year, when it returned to Wembley?

The 2006 finals was the last year at Cardiff, and the Championship final was on the Sunday (21st) according to wiki.

... Actually, surprisingly (to me!) it looks like some fell on the week before the Bank Holiday weekend, as that usually falls on the last Monday in the month each year, doesn't it?

... Quick wiki/calendar combo check (For Championship final):

2005 - 30/5 - Mon

2006 - 21/5 - Sun

2007 - 28/5 - Mon

2008 - 24/5 - Sat

2009 - 25/5 - Mon

2010 - 22/5 - Sat

2011 - 30/5 - Mon

2012 - 19/5 - Sat (*No late May BH - Was moved to 4th June for Lizzie's Diamond Jubilee!)

2013 - 27/5 - Mon

2014 - 24/5 - Sat

Bored now...  

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

The 2006 finals was the last year at Cardiff, and the Championship final was on the Sunday (21st) according to wiki.

... Actually, surprisingly (to me!) it looks like some fell on the week before the Bank Holiday weekend, as that usually falls on the last Monday in the month each year, doesn't it?

2005 - 30/5 - Mon

2006 - 21/5 - Sun

2007 - 28/5 - Mon

2008 - 24/5 - Sat

2009 - 25/5 - Mon

2010 - 22/5 - Sat

2011 - 30/5 - Mon

2012 - 19/5 - Sat (*No late May BH - Was moved to 4th June for Lizzie's Diamond Jubilee!)

2013 - 27/5 - Mon

2014 - 24/5 - Sat

Bored now...  

But there's a stat that can never be taken away from us  - 1st team to win playoff final at new Wembley. 

It shall proudly stand for posterity. 

(Let's just gloss over the next season.....)?

9 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

2005 - 30/5 - Mon

2006 - 21/5 - Sun

2007 - 28/5 - Mon

2008 - 24/5 - Sat

2009 - 25/5 - Mon

2010 - 22/5 - Sat

2011 - 30/5 - Mon

2013 - 27/5 - Mon

2014 - 24/5 - Sat

Bored now...  

The 2002 & 2006 PO Final were played earlier in the month on a Sunday for some reason. The only 2 this century to not be Saturday or Monday.

1 minute ago, OohMartWright said:

Are they using the North Stand for the away fans for this game?

No, I think it's just shut. 

They sometimes only open lower tier in early rounds of cup but last time I remember it shut in a competitive game was a League Cup tie against Scunthorpe when we lost on penalties.

26 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Makes perfect sense to close a stand if their expecting a sub 20k crowd. Helps the atmosphere if the attendees aren't as spread out and saves on stewarding etc.

I know. I don't have to like it, though! When is it South Stand's turn to shut? 

Archived