3rd Round FA Cup Draw, Monday 3rd December

Day

3 minutes ago, jono said:

I sort of agree. There’s always “next year” in a promotion race but The Cup ... well, unless you’re one of the half dozen or so elite clubs it is a once in a generation thing. It would light up the city, the fans and write some history. 

From an accountancy point of view this is stupid, but I’m not an accountant - I like the romance and legends writ in sporting contest to be in large letters with ooohs, ahhhs and all those unforgettable enduring feelings you get when something Corinthian happens 

COYR

Can I just point out we’re in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, there’s always next year unless we go down and get knocked out in round 2!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

I can't believe people are getting into disagreements about this like it would ever be a choice. 

It's like saying, Would you rather get married to the ugliest girl in the world who is a multi Billionaire or would you rather have a one night stand with your best mates mum who is unbelievably fit. 

My best mate's mum is in her 80's and dead.

So I'll roll the dice and take your best mates mum.

She'd better be hot!

21 minutes ago, David said:

In this hypothetical situation you are using negative examples of how promotion pan out, then talk of promotion the following season after the FA Cup, where was that even mentioned?

How about the club wins the FA Cup then fails FFP, Mel sells up to SISU 2 who asset strip us, send us into free fall to the point we’re battling with Grimsby Town to stay in the league.

You then have to explain to your grandkids why you chose that one day out at Wembley over following in the footsteps of Leicester City on dcfcfans.uk.

On your head be it!

I cannot be arsed to go and check, but I bet if you look at the last 20 clubs to get promotion from to the Premier league, none have won a damn thing.

We all know if we go up every season will then be a battle to stay up with maybe every 5 years the glimpse of European football.

Leicester probably pulled of the greatest upset and achievement in English football.....ever.

28 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

I can't believe people are getting into disagreements about this like it would ever be a choice. 

It's like saying, Would you rather get married to the ugliest girl in the world who is a multi Billionaire or would you rather have a one night stand with your best mates mum who is unbelievably fit. 

Is there something you want to confess to your best mate? 

2 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I cannot be arsed to go and check, but I bet if you look at the last 20 clubs to get promotion from to the Premier league, none have won a damn thing.

We all know if we go up every season will then be a battle to stay up with maybe every 5 years the glimpse of European football.

Leicester probably pulled of the greatest upset and achievement in English football.....ever.

And Leicester are in the last 20 you say haven’t won a damn thing, they only went up in 2014.

We have no idea what will happen, many expected the likes of Burnley and Bournemouth to drop straight back down, Burnley did but they went back up and qualified for Europe within 2 seasons. 

Bournemouth fans will have many stories to tell their grandkids without ever winning anything, it’s been a fairy tale for them, currently top 10 again. Did you see that happening?

Plenty of success stories out there on promotion. 

Jim Smith’s Derby, still talk about it today, all he did was finish 8th but what a team. 

2 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Which recently promoted sides  in last 5 years have won anything. How many are still in the Prem?

Leicester City, Premier League Champions

Burnley, qualified for Europe

Crystal Palace, FA Cup runners up

Bournemouth, Watford, Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield.

How many Championship clubs have won the FA Cup and gone on to be promoted within 5 years?

21 minutes ago, David said:

Burnley did but they went back up and qualified for Europe within 2 seasons. 

Bournemouth fans will have many stories to tell their grandkids without ever winning anything, it’s been a fairy tale for them, currently top 10 again. Did you see that happening?

Jim Smith’s Derby, still talk about it today, all he did was finish 8th but what a team. 

I bet Burnley fans would rather win the FA Cup than get knocked out of the Europa League Play-Offs.

I bet Bournemouth fans would rather win the FA Cup than finish midtable in the Premier League.

I don't see Derby fans talking about an 8th place finish; instead, it's all about Baiano, Igor, Wanchope etc. If we had won the FA Cup that season, we would talk about that a hell of a lot more than we talk about finishing 8th in the league.

8 minutes ago, David said:

Leicester City, Premier League Champions

Burnley, qualified for Europe

Crystal Palace, FA Cup runners up

Bournemouth, Watford, Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield.

How many Championship clubs have won the FA Cup and gone on to be promoted within 5 years?

They're no yardstick. We’ve probably won more trophies post war than that lot put together!?

10 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I bet Burnley fans would rather win the FA Cup than get knocked out of the Europa League Play-Offs.

I bet Bournemouth fans would rather win the FA Cup than finish midtable in the Premier League.

I don't see Derby fans talking about an 8th place finish; instead, it's all about Baiano, Igor, Wanchope etc. If we had won the FA Cup that season, we would talk about that a hell of a lot more than we talk about finishing 8th in the league.

Go on to both Burnley and Bournemouth forums and pose the question, would you swap all your time in the Premier League for one FA Cup win. Why are we ignoring Leicester’s feat, because it’s somehow unattainable whilst at the same time choosing to win a cup that remind me when the last Championship club won that?

You’re right we talk about Baiano, Igor and Wanchope as it was a great time that you wouldn’t have seen unfortunately, watching Wanchope waltz his way through the United defence and slot it away is a memory I will hold on to as highly as any fan will their trophies. 

That’s what we’re talking about isn’t it, memories? You don’t need a trophy to remember the time you chucked your guts up outside Volvo before the game against Swansea. 

Some of our fans will not have seen us in the Premier League, we’ve been here for over 10 seasons now, so if we work on the basis of the first 4 or 5 years having little memory of anything, you have kids leaving school next year that will give anything to see us playing the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea week in week out. The superstars they can only watch on MOTD.

I know because back in 97 when Pride Park opened I was that kid, sat that in the North Stand as fans at the opposite ended shouted BALD EAGLE’S and we would return with BARMY ARMY.

No FA Cup but amazing memories and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. 

7 minutes ago, David said:

Go on to both Burnley and Bournemouth forums and pose the question, would you swap all your time in the Premier League for one FA Cup win. Why are we ignoring Leicester’s feat, because it’s somehow unattainable whilst at the same time choosing to win a cup that remind me when the last Championship club won that?

You’re right we talk about Baiano, Igor and Wanchope as it was a great time that you wouldn’t have seen unfortunately, watching Wanchope waltz his way through the United defence and slot it away is a memory I will hold on to as highly as any fan will their trophies. 

That’s what we’re talking about isn’t it, memories? You don’t need a trophy to remember the time you chucked your guts up outside Volvo before the game against Swansea. 

Some of our fans will not have seen us in the Premier League, we’ve been here for over 10 seasons now, so if we work on the basis of the first 4 or 5 years having little memory of anything, you have kids leaving school next year that will give anything to see us playing the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea week in week out. The superstars they can only watch on MOTD.

I know because back in 97 when Pride Park opened I was that kid, sat that in the North Stand as fans at the opposite ended shouted BALD EAGLE’S and we would return with BARMY ARMY.

No FA Cup but amazing memories and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. 

Call yourself the Overlord of these forums... and yet you know absolutely nothing, and spout utter rubbish...  IT WAS VOLKSWAGEN, NOT VOLVO!!!!  

Just been to the Bournemouth forum, see if I could find anything in their FA Cup draw thread. Cherry picked a few out...get it? Get it? Cherry, the Cherries. I crack myself up. Anyway, wasn’t much in there but....

”It would be nice to see some of our younger players getting a game.
But Eddie doesn't go down that route anymore. He sticks to the first team squad even if some youngsters are on the bench.”

”As good as a bye into the 4th round.......might be a chance to see some of the u21s.”

”Trouble is Eddie has put the reserves in and seen us crash out so maybe is less willing to field a weakened team. I think for fa cup it is sensible to rest players after about 8 games in a month.... even if big mouth on talksport calls him a useless cup manager!”

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/fa-cup-3rd-round-draw-tomorrow.7531/

9 minutes ago, David said:

1) Go on to both Burnley and Bournemouth forums and pose the question, would you swap all your time in the Premier League for one FA Cup win.

2) Why are we ignoring Leicester’s feat, because it’s somehow unattainable whilst at the same time choosing to win a cup that remind me when the last Championship club won that?

3) You’re right we talk about Baiano, Igor and Wanchope as it was a great time that you wouldn’t have seen unfortunately, watching Wanchope waltz his way through the United defence and slot it away is a memory I will hold on to as highly as any fan will their trophies. That’s what we’re talking about isn’t it, memories? You don’t need a trophy to remember the time you chucked your guts up outside Volvo before the game against Swansea. 

04) Some of our fans will not have seen us in the Premier League, we’ve been here for over 10 seasons now, so if we work on the basis of the first 4 or 5 years having little memory of anything, you have kids leaving school next year that will give anything to see us playing the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea week in week out. The superstars they can only watch on MOTD.

01) I can't speak for them but I know what I would rather have. To be honest, I couldn't care less about playing in the Premier League week in week out - I love the Championship. The reason I want us to get promoted is to finally be able to say "we've done it" (and it would feel like a trophy of sorts).

02) To say that we could win the Premier League after promotion is pure guesswork and incredibly unlikely. In this discussion, we have a guaranteed FA Cup win, remember. Anyway, we would have a better chance of getting promoted the season after an FA Cup win than winning the league after promotion.

03) Fair point, memories don't just come from trophies. I've got some great memories from my 13 years as a Derby fan and we've won duck all in the last 12.

04) Again, I'm not fussed about actually playing in the Premier League. After playing a big team or visiting a big ground once, the novelty wears off and it becomes just another team/ground. I'd be far more starstruck if I saw Jack Marriott in the street than if I saw Eden Hazard. I'd genuinely rather go to Blundell Park in the FA Cup than Old Trafford. The two trips I took to the former last season were brilliant.

Good debate though and good points made on both sides.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

You didn't think that through, did you?

I said I'd take the F A Cup, so that makes it a 100% certainty.

Us going up and buying better players makes it more likely than it is now, but it's still highly unlikely.

Here's a list of cup winners going back 28 years to 1990.

There's a grand total of 2 smaller clubs won it.

I'll take the trophy now and worry about next season next season.

Because nobody starts off a conversation, 'wow, can you remember that season when we finished 16th. Wasn't it amazing?'

Must be just me then?

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that those of us who are perhaps nearer to the end of life than the start of it have a little more respect and adoration for the FA Cup.  There was a time when it really mattered.  It was the biggest day in the sporting calendar bar none.  And for those that made it, quite possibly the biggest day in some lives!

The kudos.  The romance. The glamour.  The glory.  The whole spectacle  of the occasion.

I'm not certain if that holds anymore, what with the financial benefits of the Prem, and the fact we all get a chance to go to Wembley every other year!

The nearest we got was my first full season... that's over 40 years of dreaming.  Over 40 years of disappointment.  My biggest FA Cup memory is seeing all those blue and white balloons on MOTD, as a 13 year old, and thinking "Next time, I'll be there!"  ... It ain't happened yet! 

I've actually never been to Wembley... old or new... and despite having ticket priority (STH), I've had "better things to do" on the few recent trips we've made there. 

Without doubt, I'd put everything and everyone on hold... and even walk there if need be... should we ever get there for The FA Cup Final!

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that those of us who are perhaps nearer to the end of life than the start of it have a little more respect and adoration for the FA Cup. 

I think you make a great point and I'll take it further.

Fans in their twenties and even thirties see their life going on for decades and just presume it will happen one day.

I, and I suspect you too, have sat through seasons of mediocrity and even in the top flight it's not much fun.

The seasons we went up under Cox and Jim Smith were infinitely better and more exciting than a dozen I could mention in the 1st Division or Premier League.

If you said to me you can only have a chance of going up at the start of the season. Or only have a chance of winning the F A Cup, AND you can start in the quarter final, I'd still take the league because I doubt we'd win the cup.

But the certainty of winning something we have only won once in 130 years is much more exciting, at least to a few of us.

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that those of us who are perhaps nearer to the end of life than the start of it have a little more respect and adoration for the FA Cup.  There was a time when it really mattered.  It was the biggest day in the sporting calendar bar none.  And for those that made it, quite possibly the biggest day in some lives!

The kudos.  The romance. The glamour.  The glory.  The whole spectacle  of the occasion.

I'm not certain if that holds anymore, what with the financial benefits of the Prem, and the fact we all get a chance to go to Wembley every other year!

The nearest we got was my first full season... that's over 40 years of dreaming.  Over 40 years of disappointment.  My biggest FA Cup memory is seeing all those blue and white balloons on MOTD, as a 13 year old, and thinking "Next time, I'll be there!"  ... It ain't happened yet! 

I've actually never been to Wembley... old or new... and despite having ticket priority (STH), I've had "better things to do" on the few recent trips we've made there. 

Without doubt, I'd put everything and everyone on hold... and even walk there if need be... should we ever get there for The FA Cup Final!

If you couldn't be arsed to go for 3 play off finals, never mind the Anglo-Italian Cup, why should an FA Cup final be any different?

Archived