3rd Round FA Cup Draw, Monday 3rd December

Day

I'm sure I'll be ripped for this, but if you offered me winning the FA Cup or getting promoted, I'd take the cup.

Going back to 1970 I have seen Derby play hundreds of games at the top level and all our home European games and other than obviously winning the 1st division twice, well over half of my most memorable games have been in cup competitions.

Benfica

Real Madrid

Atletico Madrid

Man Utd at Hillsborough (for the wrong reasons)

Plymouth (for the wrong reasons)

Forest when Peter Taylor and Roy Mac were in charge and Cloughie was humbled

Newcastle in the 6th round

The string of games against Wednesday played in freezing conditions

And I'm marginally to young to remember, but the older group will undoubtedly throw in Chelsea in the League Cup in 1967

And I'm 4,500 miles away so wasn't there, but I bet there are younger Derby fans who already have the Man Utd game on their list

You get promoted hoping to win stuff. Id take the winning stuff now.

Winning the cup would be a day we'd never forget.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'm sure I'll be ripped for this, but if you offered me winning the FA Cup or getting promoted, I'd take the cup.

Going back to 1970 I have seen Derby play hundreds of games at the top level and all our home European games and other than obviously winning the 1st division twice, well over half of my most memorable games have been in cup competitions.

Benfica

Real Madrid

Atletico Madrid

And I'm marginally to young to remember, but the older group will undoubtedly throw in Chelsea in the League Cup in 1967

And I'm 4,500 miles away so wasn't there, but I bet there are younger Derby fans who already have the Man Utd game on their list

No, i'm with you, I'd 100% take winning the cup over promotion. You play football to win trophies, that has to be the aim. Seeing us lift the FA cup at Wembley would be F-ing incredible. And it's much less likely to happen than promotion which would make it even sweeter. 

With both of you @MK and @Bob The Badger as well - even to get to play at Wembley (for something that actually means a damn) would be memorable enough. We get in the playoffs virtually every year it seems - an FA cup final would be far more memorable. (would also take the trophy for winning the league as well though)

2 minutes ago, David said:

Getting promoted = £££££

More £££££ = Better players

Better players = better chance of winning trophies

It’s basic mathematics.

So getting promoted is better than winning a trophy because it gives you a better chance of winning a trophy?! That's illogical

10 minutes ago, MK said:

So getting promoted is better than winning a trophy because it gives you a better chance of winning a trophy?! That's illogical

If offered this season the FA Cup or Promotion the logical choice would be to take promotion.

Being in the Championship is not sustainable, clubs are losing millions, or should I say club owners are losing millions each year just competing. I realise many care little for where that money comes from but at some point we will empty one owners pockets and have to move on to the next.

You only have to look at other clubs to see how poorly they are run, the close call we had ourselves being in Coventry City’s position.

So yes right now in 2018 soon to be 2019, promotion is more valuable to the future of this club over 1 trophy.

Of course we can go for both and there’s nothing to say we couldn’t win the cup this year and get promoted next season. But if this is a straight up would you take this or that, give me the Premier League because like it or not, that’s where clubs can prosper and compete for these trophies on a consistent basis and not rely on luck of the draw and avoiding the big clubs.

15 minutes ago, David said:

Getting promoted = £££££

It’s basic mathematics.

You didn't think that through, did you?

I said I'd take the F A Cup, so that makes it a 100% certainty.

Us going up and buying better players makes it more likely than it is now, but it's still highly unlikely.

Here's a list of cup winners going back 28 years to 1990.

There's a grand total of 2 smaller clubs won it.

I'll take the trophy now and worry about next season next season.

Because nobody starts off a conversation, 'wow, can you remember that season when we finished 16th. Wasn't it amazing?'

2018-12-04_11-32-34.jpg

Just now, Bob The Badger said:

You didn't think that through, did you?

I said I'd take the F A Cup, so that makes it a 100% certainty.

Us going up and buying better players makes it more likely than it is now, but it's still highly unlikely.

Here's a list of cup winners going back 28 years to 1990.

There's a grand total of 2 smaller clubs won it.

I'll take the trophy now and worry about next season next season.

2018-12-04_11-32-34.jpg

See my previous post, I would argue others haven’t thought it through. 

A better question would be, would you rather venture into the unknown with the club £200m better off in the Premier League.

Or take a FA Cup now and venture into the unknown with another 3 clubs coming down wallets bulging, hope we find a way under FFP with £7m prize money to strengthen the team to continue playing attractive football, and Mel is happy to stick another £10m out his back pocket to keep things ticking along.

That’s really what this would you rather take the cup or promotion question really is.

21 minutes ago, David said:

Getting promoted = £££££

It’s basic mathematics.

Depends what trophy we are talking about...

We could also have trophy dropping to League One and having a go at EFL trophy. Surely notts forest won it when we were in Premier League? Would be surprised if not, European Champions and all.

Or even easier, but a bit too obvious is beat them 17th of December.

Our current team would be good enough to compete with both of them...

26 minutes ago, David said:

If offered this season the FA Cup or Promotion the logical choice would be to take promotion.

Being in the Championship is not sustainable, clubs are losing millions, or should I say club owners are losing millions each year just competing. I realise many care little for where that money comes from but at some point we will empty one owners pockets and have to move on to the next.

You only have to look at other clubs to see how poorly they are run, the close call we had ourselves being in Coventry City’s position.

So yes right now in 2018 soon to be 2019, promotion is more valuable to the future of this club over 1 trophy.

Of course we can go for both and there’s nothing to say we couldn’t win the cup this year and get promoted next season. But if this is a straight up would you take this or that, give me the Premier League because like it or not, that’s where clubs can prosper and compete for these trophies on a consistent basis and not rely on luck of the draw and avoiding the big clubs.

Fair enough.  I do get this argument and put that way it seems a lot more logical.

But for me personally I want to see us win something and trust the owners to keep us on the right track financially. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Getting promoted = £££££

It’s basic mathematics.

Yeah because it worked for QPR and all the other teams that have gone straight back down.

Money guarentees nothing in football.

7 minutes ago, Will the Ram said:

Yeah because it worked for QPR and all the other teams that have gone straight back down.

Money guarentees nothing in football.

Of course, but it’s a hypothetical question and which ever you choose there’s no guarantee that the club wouldn’t collapse the next day.

Personally I would take the £200m and the possibilities that come with that over the one guaranteed trophy.

No bad thing about Mark Hughes being sacked in that he saw us dismantle his team in preseason so might have been better prepared for it. We're more of an unknown to the new guy. 

It's a pretty good draw. A chance of beating a lower Prem team at home and the sort of team we hope to be competing well against next season. If we win it's a boost. If we don't, then we can move on with full focus on the league for the rest of the season. 

59 minutes ago, David said:

A better question would be, would you rather venture into the unknown with the club £200m better off in the Premier League.

Or take a FA Cup now and venture into the unknown with another 3 clubs coming down wallets bulging, hope we find a way under FFP with £7m prize money to strengthen the team to continue playing attractive football, and Mel is happy to stick another £10m out his back pocket to keep things ticking along.

That’s really what this would you rather take the cup or promotion question really is.

Stoke have a bulging wallet as do Swansea and a team we put to the sword from the west midlands.

Hull had a bulging wallet too as did Sunderland, it hasn't done either of them much good.

Give me the silverware, a day to tell our grandkids about and European football next season and I'll love you forever.

And just because we don't go up now, doesn't mean we can't next season.

I've watched Derby for far too long to turn down a big success today for potential success tomorrow.

As Ian Hall used to say, 'everybody wants jam tomorrow'

7 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Stoke have a bulging wallet as do Swansea and a team we put to the sword from the west midlands.

Hull had a bulging wallet too as did Sunderland, it hasn't done either of them much good.

Give me the silverware, a day to tell our grandkids about and European football next season and I'll love you forever.

And just because we don't go up now, doesn't mean we can't next season.

I've watched Derby for far too long to turn down a big success today for potential success tomorrow.

As Ian Hall used to say, 'everybody wants jam tomorrow'

In this hypothetical situation you are using negative examples of how promotion pan out, then talk of promotion the following season after the FA Cup, where was that even mentioned?

How about the club wins the FA Cup then fails FFP, Mel sells up to SISU 2 who asset strip us, send us into free fall to the point we’re battling with Grimsby Town to stay in the league.

You then have to explain to your grandkids why you chose that one day out at Wembley over following in the footsteps of Leicester City on dcfcfans.uk.

On your head be it!

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Benfica

Real Madrid

Atletico Madrid

I sort of agree. There’s always “next year” in a promotion race but The Cup ... well, unless you’re one of the half dozen or so elite clubs it is a once in a generation thing. It would light up the city, the fans and write some history. 

From an accountancy point of view this is stupid, but I’m not an accountant - I like the romance and legends writ in sporting contest to be in large letters with ooohs, ahhhs and all those unforgettable enduring feelings you get when something Corinthian happens 

COYR

Archived