Sign in to follow this  
86 points

Perspective

21 minutes ago, angieram said:

Life is really horrible at times; at others it is wonderful. It's how we react to both the bad and the good that makes us what we are.

Never be afraid to be sad or happy but embrace every moment.

Try to be strong for those around you when they need you most; we're here for when you need a break from real life. 

Thanks Angie - much appreciated.

Edited by 86 points

I wish you all the best, brother.

I know people say that balls when they don't exactly mean the words but I do mean the words.

All the best. From your posts, that I always read when I see the username, over all the topics you seem to me like a good bloke. You come across as a 'Dave'. I like that. 

Nowt wrong with a cry. 

7 hours ago, 86 points said:

Week from hell. Fortnight actually. Trying to get lawyers to pull their fingers out of their backsides on a property purchase, wisdom teeth making me want to tear half my face off, into third week of broadband issues... Very much an FML kind of period then. What else can go wrong, I found myself thinking. So then it not only rained, but it poured.

First, I got a call from my sister. Our step-brother’s wife had passed away. Transpires she was diagnosed with lung cancer a few months back but the family decided not to broadcast the news, as is their right. She went downhill fast and lost the unequal fight on Sunday night. Instead of going to a wedding this weekend, I’ll now be attending a funeral.

Fast forward a day and a half and whilst discussing arrangements with the old man, he drops the bombshell that he’s being biopsied tomorrow as it looks likely he has prostrate cancer. He too had decided not to say anything but felt that he should at this point. True hardman that I am, I burst out crying over the phone, like that’s really gonna help. WTF Pete, really! 

Sat here now thinking about stuff, mainly my thought processes these last few months and generally questioning my whole value system – what really matters and what really doesn’t. Suffice to say there’s been a seismic change in my mindset. Now I’m left thinking that I’m going to try and be the best I can be for dad, my stepbro for everyone I hold dear but I can’t help thinking why does it take events like these for me to think this way? I really can’t answer that one. I suppose I could if I wanted to, but the truth hurts, doesn’t it?

So there you have it folks, perspective. My advice from my personal little pit of despair is that if there’s anyone around you right now, anyone you care about at all, reach over, give them a hug and tell them that you love them. We all lose folk and we all face trails and tribulations, but taking less for granted will certainly make the inevitable bumps a tad easier to ride.

Mate, can’t add much to the sentiments of others. Only say whilst life is a bitch at times, by trying to remember the good things that get you through and keeping perspective as you say, you will somehow keep the ride smoother.

Just wish you all the best

10 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Mate, can’t add much to the sentiments of others. Only say whilst life is a bitch at times, by trying to remember the good things that get you through and keeping perspective as you say, you will somehow keep the ride smoother.

Just wish you all the best

Cheers Zag - much appreciated mate. Feeling much more positive today 👍

9 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Weirdly, sometimes it's the worst things which bring us the closest. No experience, however terrible, is ever wasted if it deepens your love for someone. 

I hope that doesn't sound like a platitude. I've lost nearly everyone now, but found it to be true over the years. 

Wishing you all the best, anyway. x

Thank you my dear! We'll see how things go. Reading up on the subject it's not all doom and gloom so I'll keep my fingers crossed and try not to cry like a baby again! 

3 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

I forgot to ask...How’s your Dad?

He seems OK thanks John. He's tough and made of sterner stuff than me. He'll know what's what end of week apparently but he's just carrying on as if nothing's happened at the moment which I guess is the right approach, for now at least. 

17 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

I don't know you other than through your posts on here. but through your posts on here, I like you and you come across like a really decent person across a number of different topics (you and @RamNut @reveldevil @i-Ram  @rynny  and others can get away with views others wouldn't because of your overall posts).

I'm sorry you've gone through what you've gone through, it really does hit hard.

Try to hold on to that feeling of wanting to be the best person you can be, don' let it slip away when things turn around. Too many of us are so focussed on things that in the grand scheme of things don't matter a jot, we sweat the little stuff.

You're already a good bloke, don't beat yourself up about that and it doesn't matter how or when you start trying to be nicer. Not too many people reflect enough to even bother trying.

I hope your dads appointment went well (or goes as well as it can), remember mate as long as it's caught early enough the survival rate is very high and usually for years. 

Give him a hug, get close to him again, tell him a couple of things he did that make you proud to be his son and don't neglect yourself or feel the need to be the rock for everyone else. Someone needs to give the cuddler and cuddle as well. If you ever want to chat to a stranger, drop me a pm. I'm happy to chat balls for ages, as you've ALL already seen for years.

All the best pal, keep smiling. Be Good x

There are some really nice people on here,it gladdens my heart to here peoples concerns,so 86,heres hoping everything turns out well for your father,remember there have been a lot of advancements in the treatment of prostrate cancer,thinking of you and your family,be positive,good luck to you all,remember the power of prayer.David

3 hours ago, Malagaram said:

There are some really nice people on here,it gladdens my heart to here peoples concerns,so 86,heres hoping everything turns out well for your father,remember there have been a lot of advancements in the treatment of prostrate cancer,thinking of you and your family,be positive,good luck to you all,remember the power of prayer.David

Totally agree, we may have our footballing differences from time to time but it always heartens me how people react on here. 

Edited by Angry Ram

23 hours ago, 86 points said:

Week from hell.

I haven't been on here much lately as have been touring with Chippendales; and not had much to say since we were stopped from brawling in 'The Pub' and I am largely delirious about Super Frank.

I shall try not to start to sound like Boyzone lyrics and keep it short.

When you meet someone you love that you don't see that often make the most of it. Every meeting is a gold coin.

Imagine your Dad's problem is a toothy little c**t wearing a Forest scarf and encourage everyone to help him fight it.

Good luck mate.

Just now, WhiteHorseRam said:

I haven't been on here much lately as have been touring with Chippendales; and not had much to say since we were stopped from brawling in 'The Pub' and I am largely delirious about Super Frank.

I shall try not to start to sound like Boyzone lyrics and keep it short.

When you meet someone you love that you don't see that often make the most of it. Every meeting is a gold coin.

Imagine your Dad's problem is a toothy little c**t wearing a Forest scarf and encourage everyone to help him fight it.

Good luck mate.

Love the analogy! This made me laugh, a much needed bit of brevity too. Cheers @WhiteHorseRam