Board.

Rev

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

On one hand, I already know I am heartless, but even so I didn't realise how charging him £23.07 per week made me such a see you next Tuesday.

On the other hand, I don't think it's such a high price to pay as it includes extra  over and above the normal board package, including Protein bars and special protein meals for lunchtime. 

Transport to and from work everyday.

Twenty quid a month on a phone contract, now replaced at his own cost with a £10 pay monthly, in return for a iPhone Xr SIM free.

A Season ticket, about 10 away days a season, travel and matchday food and drink both home and away, even home games involve 6 buses.

Pants, socks, deodorants and razorblades, aftershave and condoms.

€500 spending money for a lads holiday, Netflix, Prime, Apple music subscriptions, and Sky Q in his bedroom.

He's lost the 100% rebate he enjoyed previously due to Brexit*, but otherwise I think he's doing ok from the deal.

In fact, having listed it we should charge more!

*Not due to Brexit, but everyone else blames it.

When I was living at home and working full time I was paying board, £20 a week. If you are earning a full time wage then a contribution should be made, imo. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, rynny said:

When I was living at home and working full time I was paying board, £20 a week. If you are earning a full time wage then a contribution should be made, imo. 

It's a token, that's all.

It's not commercial, or exploitative, just something you do.

At least that's what I thought!

Exactly. It’s fair play, showing willing, acknowledging your parents, doing the right thing.

i don’t think any reasonable parent would suggest  a monthly itemised invoice. ?

I'm going to charge my 2 lads board when they turn 13 and start doing paper rounds. 

?

1 minute ago, rynny said:

I'm going to charge my 2 lads board when they turn 13 and start doing paper rounds. 

?

Wait for the family allowance to end then charge em £40 a week, call it a pay rise, 16 years in the job and all that, better than a carriage clock. 

6 hours ago, jono said:

Possibly, but from my lengthy post you selected a tiny semi political portion and ignored the fundamental basis of the argument. Your previous responses lacked detail or were one dimensional. your stance that taking money from family members for rent in the home was somehow wrong. Yet it didn’t reflect the additional information that they might have a job and if so, I proposed that they might reasonably be expected to show willing. Your previous arguments seemed to be proposing a free ride scenario for working adult progeny living at home  .. if that’s your opinion then fair enough but you don’t differentiate between circumstances or doesn’t that matter ? 

We are obviously going to disagree about political philosophy, vive la difference I say, but I am in essence discussing common sense and logic. ... living life has expenses .. if you are adult, have an income and are sound in mind an body then you should as a general rule contribute. 

I was making two simple points; that independent housing isn't so easily achievable for young people these days, and that I don't personally think charging them board teaches them anything of value. 

I'm not sure why that's proving to be so controversial, and you're not discussing common sense and logic at all, you're merely expressing a different opinion. 

5 hours ago, Lambchop said:

I was making two simple points; that independent housing isn't so easily achievable for young people these days, and that I don't personally think charging them board teaches them anything of value. 

I'm not sure why that's proving to be so controversial, and you're not discussing common sense and logic at all, you're merely expressing a different opinion. 

Have you ever thought it may be the way you communicate?

17 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Yoofs today make lifestyle choices, just like we did. In my day it was all about getting your own place and preparing for life. Nowadays other things are more important to them. Travel and material things especially seem more relevant to the younger generation. I was married quite young compared to what, seems to me, normal nowadays (30s). 

I dont agree with @Lambchop with her comment 

''It's not the fault of the younger generation now that they don't have the same opportunities for independence that their parents had. We all know where the responsibility lies for that, and it isn't with the young. Suggesting that they need to learn a lesson about being financially responsible is rather adding insult to injury.''

They do have the opportunities for independence today, just different priorities. Which is fine. Most of the youngsters I know are very cute with their money. They are not victims as the above suggests. We had our issues to deal with when we were their age. I don't remember blaming my baby boom parents that I did not have opportunities. 

Unrelated to the topic, but I think that's partly (if not mainly) due to the increase of students going to university (pushing the average age of marriage up at least 3 years)

14 hours ago, reveldevil said:

On one hand, I already know I am heartless, but even so I didn't realise how charging him £23.07 per week made me such a see you next Tuesday.

On the other hand, I don't think it's such a high price to pay as it includes extra  over and above the normal board package, including Protein bars and special protein meals for lunchtime. 

Transport to and from work everyday.

Twenty quid a month on a phone contract, now replaced at his own cost with a £10 pay monthly, in return for a iPhone Xr SIM free.

A Season ticket, about 10 away days a season, travel and matchday food and drink both home and away, even home games involve 6 buses.

Pants, socks, deodorants and razorblades, aftershave and condoms.

€500 spending money for a lads holiday, Netflix, Prime, Apple music subscriptions, and Sky Q in his bedroom.

He's lost the 100% rebate he enjoyed previously due to Brexit*, but otherwise I think he's doing ok from the deal.

In fact, having listed it we should charge more!

*Not due to Brexit, but everyone else blames it.

He should be buying all in bold, in my opinion.

7 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Not all .. I am discussing logic and common sense.

it is both logical and common that there is a fair exchange of resources within a family of adults 

a family member with other resources rather than property gives some of those resources in exchange for the use of the property.

Within a family the actual amount of the exchange is negotiable at a different level than a business transaction because they are  subject to family love and the desire for a young one to prosper, but that doesn’t alter the basic premis. 

There is also the idea of self respect.

my first job after college was at Halfords .. I think I got 16 quid a week 

I gave my mum 3 quid even though she didn’t ask for it and I probably ate that much anyway ! 

Thing is, It was a first step in the real world. 

It didn’t stop my parents being generous (or tight) in other ways, it was a nod to future responsibilities it made me feel “proper”

On 17 November 2018 at 18:54, reveldevil said:

What do people think is a reasonable amount of board to charge young adults for living at home?

Our lad has just turned 20, and takes home just under 1k a month, at the minimum wage.

We charge him £100 board, but I've just noticed on the bank statement we're still paying him the same in pocket money through a standing order, which is obviously getting cancelled asap!

What is a fair amount, should it be as little as possible seeing as we don't need the money?

Or should we charge more, to better prepare him for adult life, with a mortgage/rental to consider, while putting that aside to help him on his way?

I would love to hear what other parents think, and indeed those posters who pay board think?

I never managed to get far in this thread.

i got stuck at the concept of £100 pocket money

The next month's board has been cancelled as a mark of respect.

Earlier this morning, the present Mrs Devil sent me the following picture of one of our new sofas.

Screenshot_20181123-191445.thumb.png.ec9793fbad0a13a6e31c5ae653bf2eaa.png

My gaffer remarked it was a lovely shade of Forest red, which pissed me off no end, until our lad piped up he only liked it so much because it was an empty red seat, and so reminded him of the City Ground!

Archived