Board.

Rev

3 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

They do have the opportunities for independence today, just different priorities. Which is fine.

The issue being discussed is paying rent to parents when you can't afford to live independently.

The primary reason for that situation is the phenomenal rise in the cost of housing, which certainly wasn't caused by people who are only 18.

In that sense, they very much are the victims of their parents' generation's mishandling of the economy. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

The issue being discussed is paying rent to parents when you can't afford to live independently.

The primary reason for that situation is the phenomenal rise in the cost of housing, which certainly wasn't caused by people who are only 18.

In that sense, they very much are the victims of their parents' generation's mishandling of the economy. 

I think the original point was that if you could afford to spend £500 on a pair of trainers, you can afford to pay housekeeping. 

They have different options on home ownership now that we did not have available to us. Shared ownership for example. 

I don't deny that some cannot live independently now but that was no different in my day.

Buying a place was a challenge when I was young, I managed it. Medium Angry has managed it and litte Angry will no doubt be on the ladder next year and that is in London wher house prices are highest.

Stop making everyone into a victim,.

10 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

@reveldevil,I listened to your comments and  left Joel and Josh for an hour today to paint(I’d done most of it).

Anyway £20 quid each for one hours work tops,just so they’ve got extra cash.

Came home after an hour.

DCCMrVA.jpg

You failed to specify what exactly needed painting?

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

I totally understand the sentiment but if the barrier to moving out is the cost of living then surely it isn't just a pay or don't pay scenario.

If you have a job and / or income then you should contribute something to the cost of the household while you are living in it? ( or alternatively commit to save so that you can and with a plan in mind ) You're a grown up and that's life. 

I'm not saying it should be precise, or strictly economic  in any sense .. but if you have income and are using a "resource" provided by the rest of your tribe then a contribution in principal has to be right. .. Stiv's son clearly has a sensible head, sorts his own food out and is grateful for a bit of temporary help. That's great, I'd be the same in either his sons position or Stiv's  but there is a line surely ? 

I don't think its quite fair to say this generation has mismanaged the economy .. the world economy has changed beyond belief with so much labour intensive skilled work either leaving these shores or disappearing altogether with the arrival of new things. The advent of communication and web based technology has made us just another stop on the road rather than the economic centre of the world. We aren't as rich as a nation we were 100 years ago because we don't have an empire to pillage for low cost resources and other countries can now do what we taught them to do.   Then add in a population that is 3 times what it was when I was born.

Its changing times .. not some ideological issue or mismanagement. 

I trust the mods will see this as philosophy rather than politics ??

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

I think the original point was that if you could afford to spend £500 on a pair of trainers, you can afford to pay housekeeping. 

They have different options on home ownership now that we did not have available to us. Shared ownership for example. 

I don't deny that some cannot live independently now but that was no different in my day.

Buying a place was a challenge when I was young, I managed it. Medium Angry has managed it and litte Angry will no doubt be on the ladder next year and that is in London wher house prices are highest.

Stop making everyone into a victim,.

where'ya kids buyin? looking to get somethin in the next couple of years but atm looking like croydon, morden etc..

8 minutes ago, jono said:

Its changing times .. not some ideological issue or mismanagement. 

It's both. Selling the public housing stock was gross mismanagement, as is austerity. Treating housing as an investment commodity rather than a basic human necessity is an ideological choice. 

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Stop making everyone into a victim,

Housing costs have risen dramatically, and so has homelessness. Those are simply the facts. We have the highest level of inequality in the western world, by a long way. People aren't just poor because they aren't trying, even people in full time work are struggling. I don't care how well off you or your sons are, it's irrelevant. 

38 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Housing costs have risen dramatically, and so has homelessness. Those are simply the facts. We have the highest level of inequality in the western world, by a long way. People aren't just poor because they aren't trying, even people in full time work are struggling. I don't care how well off you or your sons are, it's irrelevant. 

It’s not just my sons.. Their piers as well. Some made choices to save and buy, some to travel and enjoy. That’s my point, it’s not always about wealth but what the individual decides. Kids have more options nowadays. 

You conveniently missed my comment acknowledging that some cannot afford. 

You turn everything into a boring debate which always ends up in the same boring place where you feel you have the moral high ground. Zzzz.

1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

where'ya kids buyin? looking to get somethin in the next couple of years but atm looking like croydon, morden etc..

Medium Angry went for Sunbury but has now gone to Suffolk.

Little Angry won’t stray far from mummy, so SW of London probably.

It's both. Selling the public housing stock was gross mismanagement, as is austerity. Treating housing as an investment commodity rather than a basic human necessity is an ideological choice. 

Why select a difference of opinion over the changing world and not address the issue of an adult with an income paying a contribution to household costs ? .. that’s the main issue on this topic surely ? 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

Why select a difference of opinion over the changing world and not address the issue of an adult with an income paying a contribution to household costs ? .. that’s the main issue on this topic surely ? 

I've addressed that several times already. 

13 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

It’s not just my sons.. Their piers as well. Some made choices to save and buy, some to travel and enjoy. That’s my point, it’s not always about wealth but what the individual decides. Kids have more options nowadays. 

You conveniently missed my comment acknowledging that some cannot afford. 

You turn everything into a boring debate which always ends up in the same boring place where you feel you have the moral high ground. Zzzz.

Maybe I'm wrong in assuming that 20 year olds living at home paying board would prefer to choose something else if they could then. 

As for the last point, you always refuse to acknowledge that there are situations which affect other people if they don't happen to affect you, which is equally tedious. I'm happy to concede the low ground under those circumstances. 

Your sons bought piers?

If the cost of houses increasing and homeless figures increasing as a direct correlation is a simple fact how do you explain that at the turn of the century housing prices were significantly lower but homelessness was significantly higher than today?

Must be many other factors involved

On one hand, I already know I am heartless, but even so I didn't realise how charging him £23.07 per week made me such a see you next Tuesday.

On the other hand, I don't think it's such a high price to pay as it includes extra  over and above the normal board package, including Protein bars and special protein meals for lunchtime. 

Transport to and from work everyday.

Twenty quid a month on a phone contract, now replaced at his own cost with a £10 pay monthly, in return for a iPhone Xr SIM free.

A Season ticket, about 10 away days a season, travel and matchday food and drink both home and away, even home games involve 6 buses.

Pants, socks, deodorants and razorblades, aftershave and condoms.

€500 spending money for a lads holiday, Netflix, Prime, Apple music subscriptions, and Sky Q in his bedroom.

He's lost the 100% rebate he enjoyed previously due to Brexit*, but otherwise I think he's doing ok from the deal.

In fact, having listed it we should charge more!

*Not due to Brexit, but everyone else blames it.

2 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I've addressed that several times already. 

Possibly, but from my lengthy post you selected a tiny semi political portion and ignored the fundamental basis of the argument. Your previous responses lacked detail or were one dimensional. your stance that taking money from family members for rent in the home was somehow wrong. Yet it didn’t reflect the additional information that they might have a job and if so, I proposed that they might reasonably be expected to show willing. Your previous arguments seemed to be proposing a free ride scenario for working adult progeny living at home  .. if that’s your opinion then fair enough but you don’t differentiate between circumstances or doesn’t that matter ? 

We are obviously going to disagree about political philosophy, vive la difference I say, but I am in essence discussing common sense and logic. ... living life has expenses .. if you are adult, have an income and are sound in mind an body then you should as a general rule contribute. 

My brother was living at home for a bit while he was saving up to go travelling (before going into the army). My mum offered him the choice of paying a bit of board or doing extra jobs e.g. walking the dog. He took the latter.

I left the nest a couple of months ago but I think my dad might start charging for laundry if I keep dropping my washing off before home games?

25 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

My brother was living at home for a bit while he was saving up to go travelling (before going into the army). My mum offered him the choice of paying a bit of board or doing extra jobs e.g. walking the dog. He took the latter.

I left the nest a couple of months ago but I think my dad might start charging for laundry if I keep dropping my washing off before home games?

Don't fret, i took my work shirts to my mum to wash and iron until a couple of years back and im 48.

Sometimes its not just about getting something done but your parents still want to be your parents no matter how old you are. 

30 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Maybe I'm wrong in assuming that 20 year olds living at home paying board would prefer to choose something else if they could then. 

As for the last point, you always refuse to acknowledge that there are situations which affect other people if they don't happen to affect you, which is equally tedious. I'm happy to concede the low ground under those circumstances. 

Your sons bought piers?

Yet I acknowledged the very point you say I always refuse to acknowledge... You need another career, you ain’t very good at this.

Brighton and Southand are now in the angry estate, yes..

Archived