Christmas Dinner

Day

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

...Now I’ve settled down in a relationship, trying to choose where to go for Christmas is difficult. 4 sets of parents and ultimately someone will be disappointed...

Just tell 'em...  "Tough!  It's Christmas.  It's family time.  And we're coming to yours, whether you want us or not!

... Oh... Hang on...

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Turkey's so underrated. I'll be using a week Thursday's Thanksgiving (22nd November) as an excuse to have it then too, in solidarity with our American posters.

Turkey needs to be well basted. Put butter and salt under the skin then smother it with a favourite sauce and it will cook succulently like any other white meat.

If you cook it dry for hours it will be tasteless.

Christmas = Turkey....and that's the end of that. No other substitute I am afraid.

The reason we don't eat it any other day of the year is because it is Christmas dinner and no other day. (except thanksgiving of course!)

On the subject of weird additions people add on to their Christmas dinner, my Dad always has a big dollup of brown sauce on his plate, I have recently taken part in this ritual and have to say it is pretty nice..! My sister always has mint sauce.....weird

57 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Turkey needs to be well basted. Put butter and salt under the skin then smother it with a favourite sauce and it will cook succulently like any other white meat.

If you cook it dry for hours it will be tasteless.

Agree fully wih the butter side of this. Not sure about sauce smothering, but each to their own!

9 hours ago, David said:

I love sausages and pork scratchings but haggis takes the eat every last bit to the vile extremes. 

I would Turkey everyday of my life if it was that or you must have one mouthful of haggis.

Have you ever tasted it though?

15 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I’d just have all the cheese if I could.

I suppose the lads will want meat and potatoes.

@Mrs Cone will want to go over the top on everything and then cake after cake?

@Mrs Cone did a storming effort last year.

i'll probably just have a cheese sandwich.

There's good and bad haggis to be fair. Went to a wedding in Bute this time last year and they served the full tatties, neeps and haggis as a small starter and it was honestly one of the tastiest things I've ever eaten. Veggie haggis a pretty good too to be fair, same as some veggie sausages are as nice if not nicer than the offal filled equivalents. Think we're doing goose this year but as with any roast, for me it's all about the trimmings. Salivating like a hungry hound just thinking about it.                               

tinseltits.jpg

6 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

No, it uses non-meat alternatives to look like haggis. That’s why it’s called ‘vegetarian haggis’ and not ‘haggis’ much like we don’t call vegetarian sausages, ‘sausages’.

Don’t start him off, nobody mention Jaffa cakes.

2 minutes ago, David said:

I could fire back a bunch of inedible items and ask have you tried them, haggis is on the same inedible level as dog turd sandwiches 

Isn't it just like black pudding.

Saw Gordon Ramsey sprinkle some over scallops on TV the other week, looked gorgeous.

I went on a cruise a couple of years ago and at the posh dinner I had my first try of escargot. I was worried it was going to turn into a bushtucker challenge but I'll tell thee what, I could've eaten 200 of those succulent little gastropods!

Open your mind @David

Cruises are crap by the way.

Archived