Does Frank know his best 11 ?

RiddingsRam

Before anyone gets in there high horse this is not a dis Lampard thread . 

But serious question does he know his best 11 ? 

I certainly as a fan don't , could probably pick one on paper but as a blend and a balance I don't ! 

I think the back 5 are getting pretty settled , Mounts a certain starter apart from that ?? 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's an argument that he shouldn't have a best eleven. But rather a few combinations of different elevens that can perform at the same level. Using the full squad. I think we're close to that, there aren't many weak links, especially when you try and pick a front line on paper (recent form and impact aside).

Well on current form it should include Bogle and Bennett and Mount and Carson...

Forsyth or Malone (or Lowe after Jan) is arguable

2 from Keogh, Timori and Davies (with Pearce in reserve till Jan)

I suspect Johnson, Bryson, Mount is now his official first choice midfield though Johnson sets my teeth on edge (maybe Evans if fit to replace Johnson and Bird in the frame for next season) 

The issue’s more up front - 3 from 7 Bennett, Nugent, Lawrence, Flo Jo, Wilson, Marriot, Waghorn 

Long way from a settled team and for all the new manager aggression - be nice to bring on a creative midfield sub once in a while !! 

I thought no as well regarding the front line ! It's about the balance , playing g Nuge is all good and well and heolayed well but he will never be a 20 a goal striker , even 15 and that's fine if he's doing his job of winning the ball back high up the pitch and creating opportunities for others , but the goals need to come from somewhere ? 

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

I certainly as a fan don't , could probably pick one on paper but as a blend and a balance I don't ! 

I think the back 5 are getting pretty settled , Mounts a certain starter apart from that ?? 

No.. and he said as much himself in the an interview after Rotheram.  By mid-Oct I reckon his answer will be different.

Don't think so. To be fair he's been a tad hampered with injuries and now of course we have Lawrence out for 3 games. Hopefully by the time Tom's served his suspension we'll have Curtis and young George Evans back in full training. I'd hope that within 5 or 6 games thereafter, Frank would be in a better position to decide who his starting 11 should be, for most games if not all.

Yes this is an interesting thread - for all the talk of rotation are we supposed to know the best 11 and is that the same as the settled 11? 

Given we have to pick teams vs Brentford and Man Utd- how do we blend youth and experience to get something out of each game? 

Perhaps the back 5 picks itself - or do we bring Curtis in for the second half at Old Trafford? 

Midfield vs Brentford lets go with the same 3 : but lets play youth against man Utd.

Sttikeforce lets play Nugent on Tuesday  (after a rest) - with Bennett Flojo and waghorn this Saturday.

What do we need ?

3 points deffo

A good showing in the cup.good for future momentum even if we lose 4-2 ?

Can we have 11 players for both targets?

It's an interesting one ? 

No. Partly due to injuries, partly due to inconsistency of players, partly due to players coming to form that previously may not have been considered as a regular starter.

I don't think any of Bogle, Forsyth, Bennett or Nugent would have expected to find themselves starting games at this point of the season.

I think certain people’s form has meant he doesn’t but mostly in a positive way. Bennett for example was certainly a reserve until he did so well he couldn’t be left out! Bogle the same and arguably FloJo, Nugent and Tomori too. The opposite of Malone or Marriott but too early to judge them (especially after not so much pre season). 

23 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Of course not   ........ we have had significant change in players and a big change in playing style, and it is Lampards first managerial post.  We are just into the second month of the season , why even ask the question when the answer is obvious? It could be worse if he had already made the decision about this. There will come a point when we will need stability in selection but I don't think we have yet reached it.

Archived