v Blackburn Rovers (H) Match Thread

Boycie

With our forwards seemingly lacking nous against rotherham, Nuge will return to fill the void. With the quest for midfield balance ongoing, either Bryson or Wilson will come in there. And who is our best left back? Lawrence's suspension takes him out of the equation making room for experimentation.

Carson

Bogle     Keogh     Tomori     Forsyth

Huddlestone

Wilson/Bryson     Mount

Bennett     Nugent     Waghorn

Subs: Roos  Wisdom  Johnson  Bryson/Wilson  Holmes  Marriott  Josefzoon

Meaning Malone and Ledley are the ones to miss out.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

With our forwards seemingly lacking nous against rotherham, Nuge will return to fill the void. With the quest for midfield balance ongoing, either Bryson or Wilson will come in there. And who is our best left back? Lawrence's suspension takes him out of the equation making room for experimentation.

Carson

Huddlestone

Wilson/Bryson     Mount

Not sure Wilson is one of the midfield 3?

There’s no way Butterfield or Thorne should be suggested in these threads. We all know they’ve been ostracised for whatever reason. They aren’t even on the squad photos. No chance of Lampard bringing either in from the cold. 

Whether we agree with that or not, that’s all we have to go on. 

However, they’re both (when fit and on form) better than the players ahead of them. 

Those two with Mount would surely allow us to control midfield. Instead we will have to hope our forwards are on form. But yesterday really annoyed me and today I don’t even feel excited about this match. Embarrassing on and off the pitch.

I really am glad I’m not a football manager  ( salary apart ) 

on paper and on current form we should have had a comfortable win against Rotherham.

Each game seems to bring new things to think about. Putting the big and skilled Hudds and rough tough BJ in the mix to counter their size and game style and with our quick front men should have meant the right balance for what we were facing. It didn’t 

so what do you do ? is it attitude, “being at it” .. dunno .. no I mean I really dunno ?

Heck .. I’m just going to watch the game and see what Frankie and the boys come up with.

(Think Nuge will start though .. force of personality and reckon Mason will also be in the 11 while Tom is on the naughty step)

will Rovers have Kasey Palmer ? 

55 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not sure Wilson is one of the midfield 3?

Brought in as a wide forward but he sometimes played alongside Mount in midfield preseason (eg Southampton) and I thought it worked really well. We have a lot of good wide options but not many good midfield options, so I think he is well worth trying. Bags of energy, good passing, tough tackling and with an eye for goal.

20 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Brought in as a wide forward but he sometimes played alongside Mount in midfield preseason (eg Southampton) and I thought it worked really well. We have a lot of good wide options but not many good midfield options, so I think he is well worth trying. Bags of energy, good passing, tough tackling and with an eye for goal.

Is he fit again?

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Carson

Huddlestone

Wilson/Bryson     Mount

Forsyth should be the one to miss out he is pure poo on the ball and slows down the attacks, we signed Malone for a reason he should play.

My team line up:

Carson

Bogle Keogh  Tomori Malone

Huddlestone  Johnson

Jozefoon        Mount   Holmes

Marriot 

Forsyth is dire with the ball so doesn't suit our new style , Id like to see Holmes given a starts he seems a good player that could create something from nothing, Marriot has n't been given  start in the league yet, theres was no point signing him If he isn't going to get starts because really we could have done with a Cm as Johnson is n't good enough but has to play in this system and that 4mill could have bought  a quality midfielder like Norwood. Bennet I see more as impact Sub as his energy and pace of the bench makes big difference but from the start I'm not sure if he is clinical or composed enough in the final third. If Marriot is somehow still too unfit to start then Nugent should play.

24 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Forsyth should be the one to miss out he is pure poo on the ball and slows down the attacks, we signed Malone for a reason he should play.

13 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Forsyth is dire with the ball so doesn't suit our new style

So despite both of the league games that Malone has started and been poor in (and Forsyth had to replace him against Hull he was that bad) you would start him, even though Forsyth has been rather good this season?

Tough game vs a confident and good Blackburn team 

Carson

Bogle     Keogh.        Tomori.     Forsyth    

Huddlestone    

Mount.                Bryson 

waghorn        Bennett.         Flo jo 

subs roos johnson nugent wilson Marriott Wisdom malone 

i think we have been poor at centre forward this season and we need power and pace there so give a confident Bennett a good go with Marriott to take over when they tire whilst waghorn is better out wide and Wilson to replace either on the wings, we will need Bryson if fit to keep up with thier midfield 

(we will probably see nugent in the middle and Wilson out wide from the start )

4 minutes ago, rynny said:

So despite both of the league games that Malone has started and been poor in (and Forsyth had to replace him against Hull he was that bad) you would start him, even though Forsyth has been rather good this season?

And Millwall but that was described as an injury - if malone starts I expect wisdom on the other side and if bogle starts I expect Forsyth on the left as we would otherwise have very open spaces down both flanks 

Thought Malone was very good in the first half at Hull but tired in the second, Frank was right to pull him. He’s had 2 weeks training since then, hopefully he’s more up to speed now.

Don’t think Forsyth did much wrong at Rotherham (unlucky for the Pen), but perhaps right to go with the more attacking fullback at home? 

34 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

My team line up:

Carson

Bogle Keogh  Tomori Malone

Huddlestone  Johnson

Jozefoon        Mount   Holmes

Marriot 

Forsyth is dire with the ball so doesn't suit our new style , Id like to see Holmes given a starts he seems a good player that could create something from nothing, Marriot has n't been given  start in the league yet, theres was no point signing him If he isn't going to get starts because really we could have done with a Cm as Johnson is n't good enough but has to play in this system and that 4mill could have bought  a quality midfielder like Norwood. Bennet I see more as impact Sub as his energy and pace of the bench makes big difference but from the start I'm not sure if he is clinical or composed enough in the final third. If Marriot is somehow still too unfit to start then Nugent should play.

Frank was very abrupt in his post match RD interview about Nugent? (quote “no injury but someone has to be left out”.) Anyway the above is too many significant changes and surely Frank and co must now have a good idea of their best starting 11, which I assume was pretty much yesterday. If so let’s just stick with them whether win or not and try and get some stability. However in my opinion Hudds and Brad is a no goer which was proved yesterday. 

1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Thought Malone was very good in the first half at Hull but tired in the second, Frank was right to pull him. He’s had 2 weeks training since then, hopefully he’s more up to speed now.

Don’t think Forsyth did much wrong at Rotherham (unlucky for the Pen), but perhaps right to go with the more attacking fullback at home? 

I usually agree with everything you normally say SDSR but I too was at hull and I thought Malone was very poor and to back that up he was leaving players to run in behind him as well as standing six feet away allowing crosses all the time by never getting close to his player and not bothering to actually jump for headers despite his size, when Forsyth came on all that just stopped.

I like my defenders to be able to actually defend ! Malone also did nothing going forward that I noticed ( I know he had one ball go in on goal which looked like a mishit cross to me and those around me) 

24 minutes ago, rynny said:

Malone was good in the cup vs Hull and then decent first half against them in the league but was gassed second half and started to play poorly but I think that was down to a lack of match fitness, Forsyth hasn't been good , I wouldn't call good winning the odd header and making the odd tackle and looking a 7 out of 10 player (at times) but mostly  hoofing it anywhere and hoping for the best any time there is even a bit of pressure on him not offering much on the overlap  and getting skinned every time he plays against anyone fast and agile. We need attacking fullbacks to run up and down to compensate for Our centre backs not being that good on the ball  for a team trying to play out from the back and also we have players like Johnson and Bryson who can't create much and are sloppy on the ball .

53 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Actually, I  think Malone is pure poo at defending! 

Which we seem to be doing quite a lot of at the moment.

13 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Frank was very abrupt in his post match RD interview about Nugent? (quote “no injury but someone has to be left out”.) Anyway the above is too many significant changes and surely Frank and co must now have a good idea of their best starting 11, which I assume was pretty much yesterday. If so let’s just stick with them whether win or not and try and get some stability. However in my opinion Hudds and Brad is a no goer which was proved yesterday. 

Holmes and Marriot have n't even been given a league start yet so I don't think he can form an opinion of his first 11 until they have played the odd league game, unless they have only been bought in for bit part roles and for their potential to improve. We beat Hull 4 0 in the cup with hudds and Johnson and Bryson offers next to nothing defensively so I think we would be a bit lightweight with him in, I wouldn't mind Ledley being given another chance either.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Actually, I  think Malone is pure poo at defending! 

Which we seem to be doing quite a lot of at the moment.

100% agree - we don’t hold the ball up in the frontal positions so we will be looking to counter punch most of the season

2 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Holmes and Marriot have n't even been given a league start yet so I don't think he can form an opinion of his first 11 until they have played the odd league game, unless they have only been bought in for bit part roles and for their potential to improve. We beat Hull 4 0 in the cup with hudds and Johnson and Bryson offers next to nothing defensively so I think we would be a bit lightweight with him in, I wouldn't mind Ledley being given another chance either.

Marriott was described by lampard as a project when he signed him I believe which hints that he may not think he is ready yet, and Holmes will do well to find a place on a league bench currently and as for beating hull reserves 4-0 yes that was nice ? but we were with fortune to walk away from hull in the league game with the points and lampard has hinted several times that he wants his team highly mobile and with at least two of Huddlestone ledley and Johnson playing we won’t be

1 minute ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Holmes and Marriot have n't even been given a league start yet so I don't think he can form an opinion of his first 11 until they have played the odd league game, unless they have only been bought in for bit part roles and for their potential to improve. We beat Hull 4 0 in the cup with hudds and Johnson and offers nothing defensively so I think we would be a bit lightweight with him in, I wouldn't mind Ledley being given another chance either.

We are very much lightweight in midfield. Hudds and Brad played in the Hull 4-0 but against a bunch of kids. Mount is a talent but if we carry on with the 433 (which undoubtedly we will) I don’t see a pair in the current squad to compliment him. To me it looked that Frank and co thought Ledley and Bryson were the answer looking at preseason and the Reading game but now Frank 7 games in is none the wiser with all the changes that keep getting made. When is George Evans back. Not tried him and Hudds yet?

Archived