Baked Beans

Angry Ram

17 minutes ago, Matt H said:

Talking of school meals, did anyone ever get bollocked for eating with their knife and fork in the 'wrong' hands. I swear I remember someone coming round and checking.

I've always had my fork in the right hand, logically I'm using my stronger hand to hold down the food while cutting it with my left, and why would I want to lift my food to my mouth with my weaker hand?

As a leftie I sort of agree, but I was broken at a young age, so I can see the logic of the right wingers...

It's to do with the serations on the knife normally being on the side that would aid cutting when held in the right hand.

Plus if you were sat at a round table, being left handed would result in banging arms with fellow diners when cutting your food.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

Same happened to me with liver at Reigate junior school in Mackworth, nearly 50 years ago. I hid it under my mashed potato and Mrs Kemp the dinner dragon lady sussed me and forced me to eat it, bitch. Never touched liver again.

I’ve got to agree with Angry though, Tesco own brand is a decent bean. ? 

Must be something about Mackworth. My incident took place at Brackensdale Infant.

3 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

Same happened to me with liver

#MeToo

Polam School, Bedford, in about 1970. I was made to sit all lunchtime and probably most of the afternoon because I refused to eat it. Never touched it since. Mrs Anthony was the embodiment of pure evil responsible. 

Don't like baked beans either. I can just about stomach them if they're heavily curried, but they ruin a full English. Don't touch my ducking bacon, aaaargh!!

2 foods I find totally bland are baked beans and tinned tomato soup and I'm constantly amazed people rate them so highly. I think there is a nostaglia factor that remains from people eating them as children, that is also passed down generations ie parents rave to children about them, who in turn, do the same. They are also dead easy to 'cook' which may also remind people of their first meals away from parents and their freedom.

However, I'm also the opposite of a super-taster and I much prefer strong and rich tastes and flavours to most people I know.

Do beans/tomato soup etc provide super tasters with a touch of the exotic, or do plenty of you love them as well as much stronger flavours?

I'm not trying to come across as some sort of foodie here, or the twit who always orders the hottest curry. If anything, my dislike of baked beans is due to a poor sense of taste/smell. Does anyone else lick the English mustard off a knife, but actually like baked beans too?

And as for @Angry Ram s point about beans go with anything. I argue that beans go with nothing.

On toast is bearable. Anything else is polluted by that orange watery semen swimming around the plate. The biggest offence is always when a beautiful female egg is invaded by said substance. Hashtag me too.

8 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

#MeToo

Polam School, Bedford, in about 1970. I was made to sit all lunchtime and probably most of the afternoon because I refused to eat it. Never touched it since. Mrs Anthony was the embodiment of pure evil responsible. 

Don't like baked beans either. I can just about stomach them if they're heavily curried, but they ruin a full English. Don't touch my ducking bacon, aaaargh!!

I posted, then read your response. This is not a proxy war. But if it was, it could have the satirical worth of Gulliver's Travels!!

7 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

#MeToo

Isn’t it strange how we remember these dinner time tyrants by name after all these years. ?

Must disagree re the beans on a full English mind, they’re an integral part of one for me as is black pudding. Aw man, I really fancy one right now. 

12 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

#MeToo

Hemp, Anthony and Hurst were just women paid a low salary to get abused by schoolkids. Whilst I fundamentaly disagree to their baked beans facism, I understand they were just doing a job to feed their families. Don't blame them, blame the lack of international cusine back in the day!

2 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Isn’t it strange how we remember these dinner time tyrants by name after all these years. ?

Must disagree re the beans on a full English mind, they’re an integral part of one for me as is black pudding. Aw man, I really fancy one right now. 

Black pudding is divine. Beans not so.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Anything else is polluted by that orange watery semen swimming around the plate. 

This is the thing, the 'sauce' is nothing but suboptimal jizz, an inferior and artificial assault on the mouth which has no business contaminating the perfection of eggs, bacon or black pudding. 

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Hemp, Anthony and Hurst were just women paid a low salary to get abused by schoolkids.

Anthony was the deputy head, and a liver fetishist of the worst stripe; her tyranny was both lucrative and sadistic. Routine humiliation was her daily bread, and she also taught something called 'verbal reasoning'. Irredeemable. 

10 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Hemp, Anthony and Hurst were just women paid a low salary to get abused by schoolkids. Whilst I fundamentaly disagree to their baked beans facism, I understand they were just doing a job to feed their families. Don't blame them, blame the lack of international cusine back in the day!

Pish in my case. It was a small village school and nobody got abused by the kids. To me it felt worse than any subsequent bullying I encountered in later years and I actually dreaded meal times and it did put me off veg for life.

Not wanting to get political but low pay does not excuse abuse and bullying - which is what it was.

At least I'm fairly confident that they wouldn't get away with it now.

14 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

Same happened to me with liver at Reigate junior school in Mackworth, nearly 50 years ago. I hid it under my mashed potato and Mrs Kemp the dinner dragon lady sussed me and forced me to eat it, bitch. Never touched liver again.

I’ve got to agree with Angry though, Tesco own brand is a decent bean. ? 

Same happened to me and matthew schofield at ravensdale, hiding liver. It would have been better to have just lobbed it.

beans....the sauce is too sweet.

32 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Pish in my case. It was a small village school and nobody got abused by the kids. To me it felt worse than any subsequent bullying I encountered in later years and I actually dreaded meal times and it did put me off veg for life.

Not wanting to get political but low pay does not excuse abuse and bullying - which is what it was.

At least I'm fairly confident that they wouldn't get away with it now.

Sorry mate, I was joking about how this thread would have got political before the Great Leap Forward.

Dinnerladies were either lovely or evil.

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Sorry mate, I was joking about how this thread would have got political before the Great Leap Forward.

Dinnerladies were either lovely or evil.

No worries fella.

Is that what we're calling it?. Though I suppose "Renaissance" and "Enlightenment" have already been taken

Archived