Commonly known phrases..

Lakes

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mother in law (who hailed from Whatstandwell), when questioning my sanity - which she used to frequently, I might add - used to say "Yer daft, miduk. Yer follow balloons" - which implied that I used to go whichever way the wind was blowing, I suppose.

My grandad, on the other hand, used to use an expression I have never heard anyone else use.

I was born in Kent, and gradually I lost my shandy-drinking Southern fairy accent in favour of the more friendly, Pedi-drinking Derbyshire accent, but when I started using Derbyshire colloquialisms (e.g. "Sintinintit?" "Naah, tintintin") he would ask "Doest come f'Obrook, surry?"

My gran, on the other hand, used to say "We use the Quane's English in this owse" when taking the Mickey out of me.

Bloody Little Eaton rotters.

Few our family have used over the years which I assume have derived from Lancashire as that's where their from.

Yur 9 nails short of a coffin.    pushing it, trying your luck ,close to the wind ,chancing your arm.

loose bread - small change ££

Tight as two coats of paint.

Dropping the kids off.                            ( Doing a number 2).

Oxygen theif.                                  Waste of space

Nine sheets to wind.                        Blind drunk

On 09/09/2018 at 05:46, Gritters said:

I suppose it depends where you are asking the directions from. If you're in Matlock Bath you could end up in Crich.

Well, I wouldn't have started from there.

My grannie had some odd expressions, one of which was 'as much use as a toad wi' side-pockets'.

I like the subtleties of expressions like

Nobbert middlin'

Middlin'

Fair ter middlin'.

I still have difficulties explaining to my wife the difference beween alright, alright and alright, given different inflections. Mind you, she's from Leicester.

18 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Well, I wouldn't have started from there.

My grannie had some odd expressions, one of which was 'as much use as a toad wi' side-pockets'.

I like the subtleties of expressions like

Nobbert middlin'

Middlin'

Fair ter middlin'.

I still have difficulties explaining to my wife the difference beween alright, alright and alright, given different inflections. Mind you, she's from Leicester.

It's alreet

Tenterhooks are hooks in a device called a tenter. Tenters were originally large wooden frames which were used as far back as the 14th century in the process of making woollen cloth. After a piece of cloth was woven, it still contained oil and dirt from the fleece. A craftsman called a fuller (also called a tucker or walker) cleaned the woollen cloth in a fulling mill, and then had to dry it carefully or the woollen fabric would shrink. To prevent this shrinkage, the fuller would place the wet cloth on a tenter, and leave it to dry outdoors. The lengths of wet cloth were stretched on the tenter (from Latin tendere, meaning 'to stretch') using tenterhooks (hooked nails driven through the wood) all around the perimeter of the frame to which the cloth's edges (selvedges) were fixed, so that as it dried the cloth would retain its shape and size.[1] In some manufacturing areas, entire tenter-fields, larger open spaces full of tenters, were once common.

By the mid-18th century, the phrase "on tenterhooks" came to mean being in a state of tension, uneasiness, anxiety, or suspense, i.e. figuratively stretched like the cloth on the tenter.

53 minutes ago, Owd miner said:

Anyone know whatthe saying " on tenter hooks " mean

My Gran - a mancunian ( long gone class of 1903 ) .. if you were dithering around ...always used to say “stop standing around like piffy on a rock bun” .. I know what it means but I really want to know who piffy was !  ... I am told ena sharples used to say it on Corrie. I am pretty sure it predates TV but from where I have no idea ?

On 09/09/2018 at 10:25, eddie said:

My mother in law (who hailed from Whatstandwell), when questioning my sanity - which she used to frequently, I might add - used to say "Yer daft, miduk. Yer follow balloons" - which implied that I used to go whichever way the wind was blowing, I suppose.

Round our way, there was usually a second line: "Yer daft, miduk. Yer follow balloons, and wear ya faither's pantaloons."

Archived