Commonly known phrases..

Lakes

Afternoon all, im currently having a conversation with my colleague about commonly known phrases, he has used the phrase "Turn left at Cromford" when being asked for directions i have never heard this in my life has anyone else heard this? also please share your commonly know phrases.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lakes said:

Afternoon all, im currently having a conversation with my colleague about commonly known phrases, he has used the phrase "Turn left at Cromford" when being asked for directions i have never heard this in my life has anyone else heard this? also please share your commonly know phrases.

I heard it once when i asked for directions to Winster. ?

2 hours ago, Lakes said:

What does the phrase mean? 

2 hours ago, Lakes said:

'Ow much t'alfreton

The one we all know is "ey up mi duck".

I've seen it banded about a lot that the word "duck" came from a Saxon word, but I don't believe it (unintentional Victor Meldrew phase).

The story I was told by my historian grandfather was that the term "ey up mi duck" came straight out of Derby. In the mid-19th Century at the Morledge there used to be a group of young lads who would swim in the Derwent in the summer months. There was a Derby man called Joseph Masters who was at the Morledge one day and who overheard a lady say that the boys "look like ducks" bobbing about on the water. The boys overheard and caught onto this and started calling and greeting each other "duck", prefixing it with the phrase "ey up". This then presumably spread and became a common phrase in Derby.

If you read the diaries of Joseph Masters you can find his remark about the lady saying they look like ducks in there. He left England and went to New Zealand where he founded the town of Masterton. To this day the town is still there and even has a "Derby Street".

DH Lawrence set his short story, Wintry Peacock, at Ible. 

He described it thus:

“I felt like I was in a valley of the dead……I looked down into the white and black valley that was utterly motionless and beyond life, a hollow sarcophagus”.

In more recent times, Ible is famous for having a family who didn't go to bed for 60 years. Everyone used to peer through their window in the hope of seeing them, sat up in their rocking chairs. 

3 hours ago, Lakes said:

according to him its a joke response to being asked directions, i personally have never heard it, seems others have. 

A bit like bugs bunny saying he should’ve took a left at alberquerque. 

My auntie had loads of weird phrases that I’m pretty sure were unique to her. 

Thank you = merci buckets, buckets of mercy. 

Archived