Commonly known phrases..

Lakes

6 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

Round our way, there was usually a second line: "Yer daft, miduk. Yer follow balloons, and wear ya faither's pantaloons."

We had a whole verse at my grandmas house, all I remember is...

Yer daft miduck, yer follow balloons, yer say pap pap t' motor cars...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

Round our way, there was usually a second line: "Yer daft, miduk. Yer follow balloons, and wear ya faither's pantaloons."

Pantaloons?

You must be one o'them posh uns from Crich.

10 hours ago, Parsnip said:

We had a whole verse at my grandmas house, all I remember is...

Yer daft miduck, yer follow balloons, yer say pap pap t' motor cars...

I have been trying to find this rhyme for years and years! My great-grandmother used to tell it me. She was from Burton but moved to "Allenton village" when it really was just a village outside Derby.

All I remember is... "you wear your dad's pantaloons" and something about "your mother's blouse". Nobody I've spoken to can remember it and I can't find reference to it on the internet anywhere. She was old so I put it down to something being lost over the years.

Anyone know the full rhyme?

On 06/09/2018 at 08:42, sawley_ram said:

The one we all know is "ey up mi duck".

I've seen it banded about a lot that the word "duck" came from a Saxon word, but I don't believe it (unintentional Victor Meldrew phase).

The story I was told by my historian grandfather was that the term "ey up mi duck" came straight out of Derby. In the mid-19th Century at the Morledge there used to be a group of young lads who would swim in the Derwent in the summer months. There was a Derby man called Joseph Masters who was at the Morledge one day and who overheard a lady say that the boys "look like ducks" bobbing about on the water. The boys overheard and caught onto this and started calling and greeting each other "duck", prefixing it with the phrase "ey up". This then presumably spread and became a common phrase in Derby.

If you read the diaries of Joseph Masters you can find his remark about the lady saying they look like ducks in there. He left England and went to New Zealand where he founded the town of Masterton. To this day the town is still there and even has a "Derby Street".

Nah!

My understanding is that it refers to 'Duke' or an old English (Saxon?) word Ducas. Both are terms of respect.

1 hour ago, RebelScum said:

Nah!

My understanding is that it refers to 'Duke' or an old English (Saxon?) word Ducas. Both are terms of respect.

I don't believe that one. It banded about on Facebook for a bit but it doesn't seem to have any founding other than that is sounds similar to another word. There's no written reference to it in any works or published diaries in the area before the mid-19th Century. If it was a word of Saxon origin it would be far more widespread than it is now -- none of the areas they first conquered use it.

Both only theories of course, but I prefer the Derby Ducks version.

Archived