v Hull City (A) Match Thread

Derby blood

10 hours ago, Ram8 said:

Carson .. 7 .. did everything expected of him, but not his busiest afternoon ..                  

Wisdom ..  3 .. incapable of receiving the ball and passing it forward if there’s an opposing player within ten feet of him. Becoming a liability. We should make a bid for the return of Cyrus Christie, who would flourish in this team and style ..                        

Keogh .. 8 .. some great tackles, won nearly every header and brought the ball out of defence creatively on numerous occasions ..                

Tomori .. 6 .. won headers and tackles, but distribution and positioning still leaves a lot to be desired .. 

Malone .. 6 .. decent enough game, but jury still out on whether he’s a better option than Forsyth .. 

Johnson .. 7 .. puzzled as to why Huddlestone didn’t start as he’s our best CDM (not far ahead of a fully fit Thorne though), but BJ put in a sterling performance nonetheless, winning headers, tackles and not many misplaced passes either .. 

Bryson .. 5 .. as usual, running, commitment, but not really enough of a contribution to the midfield cause to secure a regular place ahead of other midfield options .. 

Mount .. 8 .. another excellent performance, a real nuisance for opposing defenders, and a contrast achievement-wise with Bryson’s midfield contribution .. 

Waghorn .. 6 .. a combative performance, not appreciated by the Hull fans sat around me, but we haven’t seen enough of him to assess his future value .. 

Nugent .. 6 .. energetic running and some momentary quality, but not fit enough any more to last long enough to make a lasting contribution .. 

Josefzoon .. 8 .. at last a genuine winger, capable of taking on his full back and delivering a quality cross. Busy, doesn’t shirk his defensive responsibilities and reads the game well in addition to his dribbling skills .. 

Subs .. Lawrence, Forsyth, Bennett .. positive contributions from all three. 

Jesus are things that bad already!

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What has Keogh done/not done to warrant losing the shirt? Is it just Keogh's longevity that pins him as a scapegoat? 

I think Tomori has been the weaker link - you can tell he's young, has some ability on the ball, but relies on a bit of pace to cover up his naivety. Quite often dives in, leaving us a little exposed from free kicks. After Wisdom's poor showing, I'd be half tempted to stick Tomori at right back, if Bogle's out for any great length of time.

I also thought leaving Malone in was a bit of an error. Really started to tire in that second half, often got caught so far up the pitch, but that's not totally his fault. Was unlucky not to score.

What's happened to Wisdom? Used to be a real tank - perhaps a loss of confidence? Really struggled with distribution, seemed to take ages to sort his feet out. Done badly for the Hull equaliser, but that was a quality ball from Evandro, and a neat finish.

Thought Bradley did well, adds some much needed physicality with Mount and Bryson in there, really broke their play up, neat passing too. Brilliant goal-line block at the death too.

Mount really started to dictate play in that first half. Want to see him do that more regularly now. Another good shot foiled by the keeper, and cleverly left it for Jozefzoon to stick the late winner in.

Really like that front three. Waghorn is a battering ram, but with some real quality. Need to see the no-penalty incident again. Nugent never gives up. Could have had a brace. Then Jozefzoon. Ties players up in knots, isn't afraid of some defensive work, a real menace.

Credit to Lamps and the subs. All of them the right thing at the right time. Especially Bennett.

All in all, a very good first half, should have had more than the 1 goal. Hull really came out fighting in the second half, and we lost our composure. Stuck at it to the end, and some real persistence from Bennett got us that second goal.

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

What has Keogh done/not done to warrant losing the shirt? Is it just Keogh's longevity that pins him as a scapegoat? 

I think Tomori has been the weaker link - you can tell he's young, has some ability on the ball, but relies on a bit of pace to cover up his naivety. Quite often dives in, leaving us a little exposed from free kicks. After Wisdom's poor showing, I'd be half tempted to stick Tomori at right back, if Bogle's out for any great length of time.

I also thought leaving Malone in was a bit of an error. Really started to tire in that second half, often got caught so far up the pitch, but that's not totally his fault. Was unlucky not to score.

What's happened to Wisdom? Used to be a real tank - perhaps a loss of confidence? Really struggled with distribution, seemed to take ages to sort his feet out. Done badly for the Hull equaliser, but that was a quality ball from Evandro, and a neat finish.

Thought Bradley did well, adds some much needed physicality with Mount and Bryson in there, really broke their play up, neat passing too. Brilliant goal-line block at the death too.

Mount really started to dictate play in that first half. Want to see him do that more regularly now. Another good shot foiled by the keeper, and cleverly left it for Jozefzoon to stick the late winner in.

Really like that front three. Waghorn is a battering ram, but with some real quality. Need to see the no-penalty incident again. Nugent never gives up. Could have had a brace. Then Jozefzoon. Ties players up in knots, isn't afraid of some defensive work, a real menace.

Credit to Lamps and the subs. All of them the right thing at the right time. Especially Bennett.

All in all, a very good first half, should have had more than the 1 goal. Hull really came out fighting in the second half, and we lost our composure. Stuck at it to the end, and some real persistence from Bennett got us that second goal.

After the Leeds game , I was really starting to question Keogh's mentality and if that was the problem because as a player , technically he's quality . But he's proved everyone wrong again and stepped up a level ! Sorry for questioning you big Rich ! 

18 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

After the Leeds game , I was really starting to question Keogh's mentality and if that was the problem because as a player , technically he's quality . But he's proved everyone wrong again and stepped up a level ! Sorry for questioning you big Rich ! 

I was away for the Leeds game, but it sounds like everyone's mentality was being questioned after that game!

2 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

The most important thing for a defender is defending but Keogh isn't that good on the ball and is n't as good at defending as Davies so I can't understand people saying they would rather Keogh play over Davies, I 'd play a partnership of davies and tomori against Rotherham just to see how they play together as you would have the pace and ball playing ability of tomori with the solid defending of davies making a good partnership. But I reckon Lampard will play Keogh no matter how he plays becuause he is a senior figure in the team and is more experienced than tomori.

Davies has been one of the best defenders in the premiership mainly in the past ten years and still is very good Keogh has been one of the best defenders in the championship for the past ten years and is still very good and together they are very good - tomori is a decent prospect ( for Chelsea) and has proved his usefulness and can help out over the season. The reality is that we need to distribute the ball better with quality and Huddlestone in front of them is one of the best around and even thorne is decent and Evans might do well also and we will see. So far this season we have played a lot of games without our better players which bodes well 

At the match against Hull City on Saturday, I was early into the ground, behind the home dugout, and about half an hour before kickoff who should amble into the home dugout, not looking entirely comfortable, but Chris Martin. Our best striker for the past decade, in someone else’s dugout !

After about 10 minutes one of the Hull substitutes came out and they had an animated conversation. I wasn’t close enough to overhear, but it looked as though they had played together at a previous club, and CB was telling him the sad story of his exclusion from the Derby County fold by two hapless, hopeless, now thankfully ex managers. 

If I knew how to insert a photograph of the incident into this post, then I could do so, but I don’t !

1 hour ago, Ram8 said:

At the match against Hull City on Saturday, I was early into the ground, behind the home dugout, and about half an hour before kickoff who should amble into the home dugout, not looking entirely comfortable, but Chris Martin. Our best striker for the past decade, in someone else’s dugout !

After about 10 minutes one of the Hull substitutes came out and they had an animated conversation. I wasn’t close enough to overhear, but it looked as though they had played together at a previous club, and CB was telling him the sad story of his exclusion from the Derby County fold by two hapless, hopeless, now thankfully ex managers. 

If I knew how to insert a photograph of the incident into this post, then I could do so, but I don’t !

I think a photo would help me know if it ‘looked as though’ Martin and the other player had played together at a previous club. I doubt though it would back-up the sad story of his exclusion from the club, which you weren’t close enough to overhear ?

1 hour ago, Ram8 said:

It pretty easy mate. Just click on the part where it says "click to  choose files," then click on "files." This should bring up your gallery  where the photo is stored. Choose your selected photo and it should then upload for you. It's a lot more simple than it sounds. Hope this helps. Sounds like CM has never wanted to leave us. He's definitely been a victim of circumstance. Cheers for sharing that story with us. ?

9 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

This is the image of Chris Martin in conversation with a Hull City player in front of the dugout prior to Saturday’s match (CM with back to camera) .. B95EC876-BE50-48B7-84B2-CD3CD8DAF62E.thumb.jpeg.79fe581d8a55f1ef6bab5e15df9e79c8.jpeg

Yep a picture speaks a 1000 word. Unfortunately not this one though.

From what I can make out he is saying what a shithole Hull is.

29 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Looks like he’s talking to Chris Jones, one of our coaches. 

It looks like Chris Jones to me too, but why would they be having a conversation, which Ram8 couldn’t hear, about Chris Martin being at Hull because previous Derby managers mistreated him?  I wonder if the woman In green could help us out here?

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

It looks like Chris Jones to me too, but why would they be having a conversation, which Ram8 couldn’t hear, about Chris Martin being at Hull because previous Derby managers mistreated him?  I wonder if the woman In green could help us out here?

That's yellow innit?

23 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Might be, but l have looked back at Chris Martin’s career record and l can find no mention of a team mate of that name.

If you Google Chris Martin and "Yellow" I think you'll find they do have history. 

Archived