v Hull City (A) Match Thread

Derby blood

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carson - did nothing wrong and plenty right today, especially keeping the ball out second half.

Wisdom - very sluggish, poor positioning, not enough support going forward. Looks distracted to me.

Keogh - best defender today, barely noticed him which is what you want.

Tomori - Jekyll and hyde. Some of bis play is great and he looks immense. BUT he needs to learn how to distribute from the back, gave the ball away so much trying hollywood passes. Part of that may be a lack of movement ahead of him, but needs to be more patient.

Malone - looked awkward, poor passing, caught out of position a lot. Not with it.

Johnson - still seemed to be part of a midfield that get caught too often, but didn't do too much wrong today.

Bryson - he's worrying me a bit. His passing and control is way off at the moment. No denying his tenacity, tackling and engine but needs to link the play better in that position.

Mount - so much talent, not on the same wavelength all the time but pleasure to have him in the team.

Josefzoon - refreshing to see a winger attack the defender, deserved his goal.

Waghorn - did well, should have had a penalty.

Nugent - ran his socks off, played well but should have scored really.

Lawrence - made a bit of a difference when he came on

Bennett - what an impact, showed a few seasoned pros up with his determination when he came on. He reinvigorated the Rams into wanting the win.

Forsyth - looked like he didn't want to put a foot in, not sure he's the sort of player who can get into a game quickly enough as a sub.

2 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Carson - did nothing wrong and plenty right today, especially keeping the ball out second half.

Wisdom - very sluggish, poor positioning, not enough support going forward. Looks distracted to me.

Keogh - best defender today, barely noticed him which is what you want.

Tomori - Jekyll and hyde. Some of bis play is great and he looks immense. BUT he needs to learn how to distribute from the back, gave the ball away so much trying hollywood passes. Part of that may be a lack of movement ahead of him, but needs to be more patient.

Malone - looked awkward, poor passing, caught out of position a lot. Not with it.

Johnson - still seemed to be part of a midfield that get caught too often, but didn't do too much wrong today.

Bryson - he's worrying me a bit. His passing and control is way off at the moment. No denying his tenacity, tackling and engine but needs to link the play better in that position.

Mount - so much talent, not on the same wavelength all the time but pleasure to have him in the team.

Josefzoon - refreshing to see a winger attack the defender, deserved his goal.

Waghorn - did well, should have had a penalty.

Nugent - ran his socks off, played well but should have scored really.

Lawrence - made a bit of a difference when he came on

Bennett - what an impact, showed a few seasoned pros up with his determination when he came on. He reinvigorated the Rams into wanting the win.

Forsyth - looked like he didn't want to put a foot in, not sure he's the sort of player who can get into a game quickly enough as a sub.

I'd agree with everyone apart from Keogh playing well and being barely noticeable, Keogh won some headers and made some blocks and did his part defensively but he was very poor on the ball as usual, with him taking 10 seconds just to make a simple pass and then most of the time he screwed up when trying a long pass and in general did something to sabotage our play every time he got the ball either too slow or gives it away , or back to Carson . He wasn't bad I'd give him a 7 out of 10 for not making many mistakes in defence and winning some good headers but I think davies and tomori should be our first choice partnership in the coming games.

17 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Just got back from the game,  I thought we played well first half with waghorn, mount and jozefoon looking lively but we just needed that second goal to kill it off, the midfield played poorly second half especially Bryson and Johnson who never showed for the ball and were generally pretty poor and uncreative on the ball. Forsyth coming on helped steady the ship as Malone was good first half but second half he got done far too many times as he's probably not match fit yet. Bennet made a great impact off the bench, and it was fitting that our best player today  jozefoon stepped up with the winner.  Mount and tomori were also good for us today, and nugent wasn't clinical but put in 110% effort as he always does and got in some good positions. We weren't at our best today but a sign of a good team is a team that can win games when not at our best and we have snatched late winners in these types of away games twice already this season, once davies and Huddlestone come back in the team with Keogh and Bryson  making way for them , with maybe marriot starting upfront  we will be a real force and I can see this game giving us the confidence to go on one of our McLaren style long win streaks

Keogh will not make way for him and neither should he. Lampard appreciates his contribution, shame some of our fans don't.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Keogh will not make way for him and neither should he. Lampard appreciates his contribution, shame some of our fans don't.

Who would make way then tomori? Because not a prayer should the best CB in the league be on the bench. Tomori is better in every way than Keogh apart from in the air so only against teams like Boro and millwall Keogh would better but other than in the air I can't see why people would prefer him to tomori.

6 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I'd agree with everyone apart from Keogh playing well and being barely noticeable, Keogh won some headers and made some blocks and did his part defensively but he was very poor on the ball as usual, with him taking 10 seconds just to make a simple pass and then most of the time he screwed up when trying a long pass and in general did something to sabotage our play every time he got the ball either too slow or gives it away , or back to Carson . He wasn't bad I'd give him a 7 out of 10 for not making many mistakes in defence and winning some good headers but I think davies and tomori should be our first choice partnership in the coming games.

He can only pass quickly if there is someone to pass it to or would you rather he revert to hoof ball?

14 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

... who was brought on to stop Hull marauding down our left, and possibly winning the game, and did his job very well.

3 minutes ago, Bigfella said:

He can only pass quickly if there is someone to pass it to or would you rather he revert to hoof ball?

Id rather him play a ball in the channel for jozefoon or nugent to chase and win a throw or corner not just hoof and hope but a ball over the top for someone to chase.

2 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

... who was brought on to stop Hull marauding down our left, and possibly winning the game, and did his job very well.

Hmmm, I know that's what he was brought on to do, in my view, he didn't make much of an impact, they still kept getting in. Not singling him out, I'm a massive Fozzy fan, just wasn't at his best to do imho.

2 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Who would make way then tomori? Because not a prayer should the best CB in the league be on the bench.

Probably will be Tomori. You've already said Keogh made some headers and blocks but was poor in his distribution, yet gave him a 7 out of 10. I like Davies, he's an excellent defender but his distribution let's him down far more often than Keoghs' does. When Huddlestone isn't playing, Keogh is the only central defender with the bottle to frequently bring the ball out of defence and find a pass - something he shouldn't have to be doing as often as he does - that should be primarily one of the main functions of a controlling CDM, where only Huddlestone and Thorne truly fit the bill.

As for Keogh vs Tomori. 

I feel Keoghs distribution was much better than Tomoris today. 

Sometimes passing it sideways or backwards is better if a successful pass isn't on going forward. Possession is important. Tomori tried to do too much today and lost it in dangerous situations several times.

Having said that, second half there wasn't much movement from the forward players so you can't blame either of them too much.

Anyway, we won, I had a great day in Hull so I'm happy!

47 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Who would make way then tomori? Because not a prayer should the best CB in the league be on the bench. Tomori is better in every way than Keogh apart from in the air so only against teams like Boro and millwall Keogh would better but other than in the air I can't see why people would prefer him to tomori.

I don’t think Davies is the best cb in this team let alone the league and I expect him to be third choice.

back in the 80’s he’d have been number 1 but his technical ability is way below Keogh and Tomori’s and that is more important nowadays.

11 minutes ago, Ramsam said:

I don’t think Davies is the best cb in this team let alone the league and I expect him to be third choice.

back in the 80’s he’d have been number 1 but his technical ability is way below Keogh and Tomori’s and that is more important nowadays.

No the most important thing for a defender is and always will be defending huddlestone's job is to play make not your centre back other wise we would play Huddlestone centre back.

38 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

As for Keogh vs Tomori. 

I feel Keoghs distribution was much better than Tomoris today. 

Sometimes passing it sideways or backwards is better if a successful pass isn't on going forward. Possession is important. Tomori tried to do too much today and lost it in dangerous situations several times.

Having said that, second half there wasn't much movement from the forward players so you can't blame either of them too much.

Anyway, we won, I had a great day in Hull so I'm happy!

Seems to me they're basically the same player 12 years apart, although Tomori's better at 20 than Keogh was at 20. He's probably at about the standard Keogh was when he first came here as a 25 year old.

The bit in bold is funny when used as a comparison, it's pretty much trademark Keogh from a few years ago (and occasionally now)

Archived