Who moves out?

Carl Sagan

On 08/08/2018 at 23:40, Carl Sagan said:

So far we've brought in eight new players (unless I've lost count) and have sold two, from an already massive squad. Even if you count the three non-renewals at the end of last season we're still +3 on last season's vast squad.

I'm bound to forget people but looking at the squad (those with numbers) we now seem to have:

GK (3): Carson, Roos, Mitchell

Defence (10): Wisdom, Bogle, Tomori, Keogh, Davies, Pearce, Malone, Lowe, Forsyth, Olsson (injured)

Midfield (10): Mount, Bryson, Ledley, Huddlestone, Evans, Johnson, Thorne, Butterfield, Hanson, Elsnik

Forwards (12): Waghorn, Marriott, Nugent, Bennett, Martin, Jerome, Lawrence, Wilson, Josefzoon, Thomas, Blackman, Anya

That's 35 players with only one on the injury list. My guess is we shall try to move (where in brackets):

Pearce, Forsyth, Thorne (QPR), Butterfield (Hull), Hanson (Burton), Martin (QPR), Jerome (Preston NE), Blackman (Reading), Anya which would leave 25 fit players including five academy breakthroughs Bogle, Lowe, Elsnik, Bennett, Thomas, which would be healthy.

I totally agree with the players you've selected to go, not sure how disruptive it will be having so many players in training who are not in the frame at all to be included in the matchday squad but i can imagine its not healthy unfortunately Elsnik seems no nearer the first team so maybe a loan abroad or in championship might benefit him

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be good if we could help Burton out with a few loans not to far away so it doesn't disrupt anyone's living arrangements  we have plenty they could take for example kellan Gordon, Callum Guy, that McAllister chap and Elsnik or even Max Bird. I think playing league 1 or 2 is much better than u23's especially as they seem to have very little chance of getting any minutes here.

Ideal squad size of 23-25 according to Frank's press conference ("20-22 outfield players").

Current squad size: 35 (inc Guy, exc Olsson).

10 outs?

Pearce, Forsyth, Thorne, Butterfield, Guy, Elsnik, Anya, Blackman, Jerome & Martin I guess.

Maybe Nugent too with Wells replacing him?

Of all of the more longstanding players who we could all hazard a guess as to whether they’re on their way out or not, the one I still would really like to come good again in a Derby shirt is Thorne. I know I may be nostalgic for his pre-injury days. Maybe his best days are behind him, who knows?

But in a 4-3-3, we do need a strong DM who can get the play going and Hudds is great at a creative pass, but getting slower with every day, Ledley is a great disrupter, but better in a DM pairing and Bradley still feels like a square peg in a round hole.

George is still young and hopefully all his bad luck is behind him and when fit is an all round great DM

i’d  understand a loan to QPR, let them get him fit -but I really don’t want to sell him.

As for Butterfield, Anya, Blackman, (Christ, think of the millions wasted on them) they have to go out on Loan as soon as poss.

Is Martin ill? Injured? Face doesn’t fit? 

In a 4-3-3 he’s been a great servant of the club and now he’s nowhere to be seen. I know Rowett couldn’t/wouldn’t use him, but why not Frank?

I’d get Nudge gone as soon as poss as well. Never really done it for me.

Forsyth should go out on Loan, as, unlike some on here, I’d rather give a previously ‘premiership standard’ left back a bit more time to get up to scratch, having had 2 years out of the game, before snubbing him completely.

And as far as championship standard replacement CB’s go, I think Pearce is pretty good.

@Stripperg-ram yes a loan for George is what i'd hope were looking to do, it would do him the world of good and if he can prove himself over 30+ games this season then we'll still have a gem on our hands.

I don't think anyone would advocate selling him at this stage as with his last 2-3 years his transfer value will be near zero, yet with a full season behind him he could be worth £5m again next summer.

Jerome, Nuge, Blackman and Martin to go on loan with perms in January. 

Butterfield, Anya, fozzy and Pearce the same.

thirne on loan TIL jan then comes back after getting fit and sharp.

if a loan to buy cane in for Ledley or Hudds id take it and replace them with a younger hungrier all rounder. Someone to control the game.

9 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Jerome, Nuge, Blackman and Martin to go on loan with perms in January. 

Butterfield, Anya, fozzy and Pearce the same.

thirne on loan TIL jan then comes back after getting fit and sharp.

if a loan to buy cane in for Ledley or Hudds id take it and replace them with a younger hungrier all rounder. Someone to control the game.

Looking like we’ll need Martin, Fozzy and Pearce.

6 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Bit harsh, he hasn't played. Will take him 2 or 3 games to get match fit.

I don't think it's harsh....you can see the similar style of play but done with less finesse,similar speed and less ability to use his strength to hold off a defender/go down under pressure and get a free kick.

A slightly pointless purchase to my mind.

Archived