Who moves out?

Carl Sagan

So far we've brought in eight new players (unless I've lost count) and have sold two, from an already massive squad. Even if you count the three non-renewals at the end of last season we're still +3 on last season's vast squad.

I'm bound to forget people but looking at the squad (those with numbers) we now seem to have:

GK (3): Carson, Roos, Mitchell

Defence (10): Wisdom, Bogle, Tomori, Keogh, Davies, Pearce, Malone, Lowe, Forsyth, Olsson (injured)

Midfield (10): Mount, Bryson, Ledley, Huddlestone, Evans, Johnson, Thorne, Butterfield, Hanson, Elsnik

Forwards (12): Waghorn, Marriott, Nugent, Bennett, Martin, Jerome, Lawrence, Wilson, Josefzoon, Thomas, Blackman, Anya

That's 35 players with only one on the injury list. My guess is we shall try to move (where in brackets):

Pearce, Forsyth, Thorne (QPR), Butterfield (Hull), Hanson (Burton), Martin (QPR), Jerome (Preston NE), Blackman (Reading), Anya which would leave 25 fit players including five academy breakthroughs Bogle, Lowe, Elsnik, Bennett, Thomas, which would be healthy.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon Lampard will want the squad to end up looking something like this come the end of the loan window:

GK: Carson, Roos, Mitchell

RB: Wisdom, Bogle

LB: Lowe, Malone, Olsson

CB: Keogh, Davies ,Tomori, Pearce

DM: Evans, Huddlestone, Ledley

CM: Mount, Bryson, Johnson, (NEW), (NEW)

RW: Wilson, Jozefzoon, Bennett

LW: Lawrence, Thomas

ST: Waghorn, Marriott, Nugent, Wells

Don't see the need for Wells myself, but the interest is there so obviously Lampard wants him. I can see us bringing in at least one more centre mid if we manage to find a home for Thorne, Hanson and Butterfield. And it wouldn't surprise me to see us sign another winger what with the Holmes link still being around. We've been linked to a few centre backs in recent days, but I can't see us signing one myself, but who knows with the rate we're going

Although they say the window shots at 5pm today in reality it’s still open for another 3 weeks. Don’t be too disheartened if there hasn’t been a mass exodus by 5PM today, a lot of the players we don’t want are on big wages and now have less than 12 months on their contracts, clubs aren’t exactly queuing up to buy these unwanted player. I can see most leaving on loan deals in the next few weeks, clubs will take a punt of loan for a season especially one they could pick up for free next summer.

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

So far we've brought in eight new players (unless I've lost count) and have sold two, from an already massive squad. Even if you count the three non-renewals at the end of last season we're still +3 on last season's vast squad.

I'm bound to forget people but looking at the squad (those with numbers) we now seem to have:

Defence (10): Wisdom, Bogle, Tomori, Keogh, Davies, Pearce, Malone, Lowe, Forsyth, Olsson (injured)

Midfield (10): Mount, Bryson, Ledley, Huddlestone, Evans, Johnson, Thorne, Butterfield, Hanson, Elsnik

Forwards (12): Waghorn, Marriott, Nugent, Bennett, Martin, Jerome, Lawrence, Wilson, Josefzoon, Thomas, Blackman, Anya

That's 35 players with only one on the injury list. My guess is we shall try to move (where in brackets):

Pearce, Forsyth, Thorne (QPR), Butterfield (Hull), Hanson (Burton), Martin (QPR), Jerome (Preston NE), Blackman (Reading), Anya which would leave 25 fit players including five academy breakthroughs Bogle, Lowe, Elsnik, Bennett, Thomas, which would be healthy.

The players in bold can all go for me as I don’t see them in the starting 18 at any point.

any good offer for Hudds or Ledley and is let them go also.

still think we need another CM

The only player who looks close to a move is Hanson which adds weight to the idea that we might not see many outgoings until the end of the month is upon us, and even then only loans out, with perhaps permanent deals in place should they succeed. 

It’s as clear as a clear thing that we have far too many players in midfield and forward areas who aren’t even training with the first team. Players on good wages but whose stock in the football world has been ruined somewhat in the last couple of years. 

Hope I’m wrong and loads leave tonight.

I think all the outs will be loan deals probably the harsh reallity is we have given too many average players high wage contracts and the type of club looking to take these will not meet the wages hence we will have to part contribute.

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Defence = Pearce Forsyth = QPR 

midfield = thorne = Qpr Hanson = oxford Butterfield = anywhere ledley = Cardiff 

forwards = nugent = Sheffield United Martin = QPR Anya = anywhere Jerome = somewhere blackman = Reading ( come on Clement you know how much you rated him)

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

If QPR sell their winger to Blackburn for £4 million they may well be able to afford loans for Forsyth Martin Pearce thorne 

Why on earth would they loan two (expensive) crocks, possibly three and Pearce - just for numbers? If I were a QPR fan I'd rather put youngsters in - anybody's youngsters!

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think, as the transfer strategy twitter thread there's a post about inferred, we've resigned ourselves to being stuck with some players until their contracts expire. Making the decision that it's better to have too many right now, and their contract expiry setting us right; rather than not having enough players when their contracts end and having to panic buy.
I fully expect the vast majority of excess players to leave on loan over the next month.

Hanson looks likely to be moving to Oxford today permanently. Maybe a couple of others will too.

Sure someone on here who knows Anya personally was saying he had some MLS interest, so maybe that will show its face today too.

30 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Sure someone on here who knows Anya personally was saying he had some MLS interest, so maybe that will show its face today too.

I'm pretty sure MLS transfer window closed yesterday already, but basicly that's the only "meaningful" country which closes window this early along England.

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Defence (10): Wisdom, Bogle, Tomori, Keogh, Davies, Pearce, Malone, Lowe, Forsyth (eventual loan), Olsson (injured)

Forwards (12): Waghorn, Marriott, Nugent(eventual loan), Bennett, Martin, Jerome, Lawrence, Wilson, Josefzoon, Thomas, Blackman, Anya

Think that would do me for outs. For now at least. Forsyth although seeming surplus,and probably will go if I’m honest, at least provides cover for CB/LB/LM too (especially why Olsson is out so let’s say it might be one for Jan).

Dont think I have a big issue with having a few forwards, a lot of clubs do and aslong as you get the rotation then they all have different uses. One of Nugent/Martin you can predict will go, but if Martin is going to be building his fitness for any amount of time then again it may be that nothing will happen until Jan.

3 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

The players in bold can all go for me as I don’t see them in the starting 18 at any point.

any good offer for Hudds or Ledley and is let them go also.

still think we need another CM

Who might make the starting 18 is a good benchmark. But if Carson were to get injured or suspended (not unlikely over the course of a seasoon) then I think we'd want both Roos and Mitchell available. That said, at their stage of development they need to play so I wouldn't be surprised if one went and we brought in an experienced backup keeper. Or maybe, if it came to it, Shay would temporarily don the gloves?

15 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

First to leave, Jamie Hanson on a 4-year deal to League One Oxford United. Seems all the rest will have to be loan deals. I did hear that someone had bid for Forsyth, but no sign on the wires of that having gone through.

Mel Morris said at the forum yesterday that the window closing hasn't really done anything, because clubs are just planning on organising loans that include the compulsory purchase of the player in January.

Archived