Could Vydra play False 9 like Firmino at Liverpool?

Gil

Could playing him that role be a decent alternative in case the Marriott deal doesn't come into fruition? He's a proven goalscorer at this level & contrary to popular belief his final pass is very good. Some of the passes in this video are ridiculous.

Wilson looks a top tier talent & Lawrence looks set to have a big season now he's been given more freedom to get into goalscoring positions. We could have a lethal attack if Vydra could adapt.

Wilson scored 7 goals in just 11 starts last season & looks incredible going by his highlights. Could have a season like Sessegnon just did last season with the right service

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure he can. The only time Vydra doesn’t do well is when he is isolated because he doesn’t have great physical presence and can’t hang on to the ball waiting for reinforcements to arrive.  But if we are playing high up with quick midfielders and wingers then he’d fit no probs. 

12 minutes ago, jono said:

Sure he can. The only time Vydra doesn’t do well is when he is isolated because he doesn’t have great physical presence and can’t hang on to the ball waiting for reinforcements to arrive.  But if we are playing high up with quick midfielders and wingers then he’d fit no probs. 

I want to preface what I'm going to say by saying that I hope your right and I can see where you coming from as to why you (And others) think he can play there. 

However I'm not so sure. Vydra is at his most dangerous when he's facing goal from about 20-25 yards out running at the defence. Usually he plays at his best with someone else linking the play and not him. The false 9 has to play quite a bit with back to goal and link play up with the midfield and that's where i think Vydra would struggle. I think he'd get easily dissposseed and quickly get isolated.

This is pretty much what happened when he started up front for Mac. He looked a player who didn't really know what to do or where to be, often getting caught between spinning behind or coming short. Now that could have been down to lack of confidence but I think it's telling that Bent was brought in because he could offer more all round to the team. 

With all that I said I hope I'm wrong because if you got it to click I think and you got Vydra to understand the role require then I think our attack would be absolutely lethal.

He’s nothing like Firmino, Firmino is Liverpool’s system. He never stops running and pressing opposition defences, his link and hold up play is excellent, he’s strong and makes plenty of assists. Vydra and Firmino are complete opposites. Firmino was a midfielder when he was at  Hoffenheim. That probably helped him when making the transition to false 9 as he knew when the right times would be to drop deep and link play to allow Salah and Mane to make runs in behind.

Just now, oldtimeram said:

What the heck is a false 9........please tell me 

A centre-forward who drops deep constantly. For a system deliberately set-up without a dedicated striker.

1 minute ago, oldtimeram said:

What the heck is a false 9........please tell me 

According to folklore, the false 9 was the first ever and original footballer who often drifted between the main striking role and  the number 10 role. Legend has it that he gifts special powers to players who play a similar roles to enhance their abilities to amazing heights. This is why Messi scores 91 goals for Barcelona in one year when occupying this role. Spooky isn’t it?

Archived