Could Vydra play False 9 like Firmino at Liverpool?

Gil

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

The answer is in the name Firm No for me, not strong enough. It's the championship, CB are there to kick the False/True 9, and the ball sometimes

This is the whole point of a false 9. Being clever and drawing defenders out of position for other attacking players to run in behind? so with your theory (which I don't believe to be true) surely it would work even better in the Championship?

14 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I want to preface what I'm going to say by saying that I hope your right and I can see where you coming from as to why you (And others) think he can play there. 

However I'm not so sure. Vydra is at his most dangerous when he's facing goal from about 20-25 yards out running at the defence. Usually he plays at his best with someone else linking the play and not him. The false 9 has to play quite a bit with back to goal and link play up with the midfield and that's where i think Vydra would struggle. I think he'd get easily dissposseed and quickly get isolated.

This is pretty much what happened when he started up front for Mac. He looked a player who didn't really know what to do or where to be, often getting caught between spinning behind or coming short. Now that could have been down to lack of confidence but I think it's telling that Bent was brought in because he could offer more all round to the team. 

With all that I said I hope I'm wrong because if you got it to click I think and you got Vydra to understand the role require then I think our attack would be absolutely lethal.

Great thoughtful post Brady - actually made me go and look what false 9 means ? .. going back to my original post I tend to agree with you if using the strict definition. Now I know what it is, false 9 is almost what Pearson tried to do with him and it didn’t work. ... there are 2 riders though. 1) Voldemort tried it he didn’t have the quality of wingers/wide forwards or type of midfielders to come in to space created by a false 9. They never got close enough to him. Secondly, Vydra has learned over the last season to drop deep. He’d be better at it now than 2 years ago. I think Franks system will be much more fluid and we see with the high press that we almost played 424 at times against Soton, but in any case we were very lose in formation. with mids and wingers roaming freely rather than in fixed positions

Vydra can work in most systems with the proviso that he needs support. Either with a paired striker or close quarters midfield and wide players to bounce off. (Unlike a traditional front men who have greater physical strength or can hold a ball. Jerome in the first case or Martin in the second - nuge being a bit of an all rounder ) so pure false 9 in a 433 would be a waste .. but we aren’t going to that anyway. 

48 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Why not call it 10 then? Bloody stupid if you ask me 

Because a 10 implies someone is playing in front of them.

Archived