Public Sector Pay Rise.

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Gritters said:

It's a bit difficult to gauge because I don't know if they were being over paid in the first place. The pay freeze may have realigned peoples pay to the industry standard. So a Council civil engineer gets about the same as one in the private sector. Of course I could be wrong but the councils I have dealt with have had loads of people moving to the private sector. 

been looking at jobs in public sector which i am not even close to being qualified for, which pay less than i get paid for in private sector. how those roles get any candidates is a mystery to me.

3 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

been looking at jobs in public sector which i am not even close to being qualified for, which pay less than i get paid for in private sector. how those roles get any candidates is a mystery to me.

May be it's a start for some people. Also there may be other benifits like good pensions, flexible hours etc.

57 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Your not mate . Average 1% with tie ins and after below inflation rises for 7 or 8 years.  Its very poor but there you go- so are the general destruction of work rights , less sick pay if any, longer waits till pension and the delight of zero hour contracts which has appeared over the last ten years. .  Work in this country has not been this bad for a long time .

But...but...but yesterday the Mail and the Express were saying how wonderful things were now that nearly everyone has a job. What they neglected to say was that an awful lot of people have two jobs just to make ends meet.

41 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Are they getting a pay rise too?

Bloody bankers!!!

Bloody bankers always get a rise.

Bank makes a profit? Bonus. Bank makes a loss but it wasn't as big as originally thought? Bonus. Bank makes a huge loss, far worse than anticipated? Sack the tellers, sack the cleaners, move everyone to online banking (even those who aren't computer-literate or don't even have an online presence), close the branches, sell the premises - bonus.

TobyWanKenobi
4 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Am I on my own in thinking this is a disgrace?

It's a terribly low offer, but I will accept it under duress.

Hopefully we get these Tories our sooner rather than later so we can talk about something more reasonable.

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

It's a bit difficult to gauge because I don't know if they were being over paid in the first place. The pay freeze may have realigned peoples pay to the industry standard. So a Council civil engineer gets about the same as one in the private sector. Of course I could be wrong but the councils I have dealt with have had loads of people moving to the private sector. 

An engineer in the public sector gets about 70% of equivalent in the private sector.....just saying.

11 minutes ago, RamNut said:

An engineer in the public sector gets about 70% of equivalent in the private sector.....just saying.

Same with car mechanics, and the place I work wonder why they can’t get them. Also where I work, there’s a big “Value Our Leaders” meeting/conference tomorrow, been there 3 years now and never heard of a Value Our Workforce meeting/conference. 

Funny that ? 

I'd love to know where all these so-called gold-plated pensions in the public sector are. Probably the case 10 or 15 years ago, with final salary schemes, but that's been put paid to in most places.

Been looking into the NHS pay rise recently and that ain't all it's cracked up to be either. Better than nothing, but will still probably work out at just about in line with inflation for current workers.

That said, job security is probably still a fair bit higher than in the Private Sector.

Teaching and Nursing are two jobs I'd never be able, or want to do, no matter how much you paid me, so no qualms with the inevitable tax increase to pay for that whatsoever.

Sith Happens

Its wrong if you ask me. There are management level employees who aren't getting the pay rises and bonuses they are used to. 

They have partially completed swimming pools and leases on Aston Martins to pay for.

Bout time people gave some thought to those in need.

5 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Am I on my own in thinking this is a disgrace?

It's an absolute, unadulterated disgrace and a classic example of Tory spinmeisters forcing the arm and taking the credit for it. Read the small print and it says clearly that the treasury is not paying - all pay rises have to be funded from existing budget lines. Because every hospital, school, prison and the like is just bursting with money and will be chuffed that eventually they've been given something to do with it? So, in conclusion, the government have released a press release saying that they are not funding any pay rises but that they expect all public sector budget owners to miraculousy find the funds from their already broken public sector institutes. Yes, it's a disgrace.

8 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Pay freeze totally. So the minimum wage earners have crept up on you all for 6 years?

nobody seems to be able to answer this question?

If you're that bothered about it, why don't you research it and post your findings?

4 hours ago, Boycie said:

No idea what it is, but it’s better than nowt isn’t it?

minimum wage goes up every year which must increase everyone’s wages accordingly.

Ive not put my charges up in over 10 years.

This might just be me failing to understand your wording, but are you saying that because minimum wage goes up, everyone who isn't on minimum wage's pay also goes up?

Because if so, that's not how it works.

As a teacher, I’d rather they gave something directly to pupils, seeing as its coming out of the D for E’s budget and not from the Treasury.

School’s don’t have enough money. Giving teachers a pay rise out of the education money pot may help recruitment and retention, but there’s more going on than that.

16 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

It's an absolute, unadulterated disgrace and a classic example of Tory spinmeisters forcing the arm and taking the credit for it. Read the small print and it says clearly that the treasury is not paying - all pay rises have to be funded from existing budget lines. Because every hospital, school, prison and the like is just bursting with money and will be chuffed that eventually they've been given something to do with it? So, in conclusion, the government have released a press release saying that they are not funding any pay rises but that they expect all public sector budget owners to miraculousy find the funds from their already broken public sector institutes. Yes, it's a disgrace.

Also, classic example of Government divide and rule. Get people saying "look at them public sector workers getting an x% pay rise, I've not had one like that for three years", whilst ignoring the fact they too are being screwed by diabolical conditions, contracts, pension provisions etc.

Archived