Academy Thread 2018/19

Carl Sagan

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Young Lewis Walker made his first team debut for QPR today. I always liked him and thought we let him go a bit soon. I wonder how he'll perform long term? 

Felt he was behind the other forwards we had at the time (Zanzala, Jacobsen, Vernam). Had a fantastic game in a cup competition when he scored 4 goals but didn’t overly impress me as much as the other three mentioned players in his time here. 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Felt he was behind the other forwards we had at the time (Zanzala, Jacobsen, Vernam). Had a fantastic game in a cup competition when he scored 4 goals but didn’t overly impress me as much as the other three mentioned players in his time here. 

Talking of Charlie Vernam; he scored today. 

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

Young Lewis Walker made his first team debut for QPR today. I always liked him and thought we let him go a bit soon. I wonder how he'll perform long term? 

Something weird happened there. We were trying to find him a club in the SUmmer. No one would pay it would seem, so we cancelled his contract by mutual consent.  Seems to me he decided he didn't want to be at Derby any longer for some reason.

An early goal for Whittaker to put Derby 1-0 up wasn’t enough as the U18s lost 1-2 to Man Utd. It leaves us with 1 game left to play (Wolves away next Saturday) to be crowned the best team of the North. We’re 3 points and 5 goals better off than Liverpool who have a game in hand on us. 

On 20/04/2019 at 19:00, Ghost of Clough said:

An early goal for Whittaker to put Derby 1-0 up wasn’t enough as the U18s lost 1-2 to Man Utd. It leaves us with 1 game left to play (Wolves away next Saturday) to be crowned the best team of the North. We’re 3 points and 5 goals better off than Liverpool who have a game in hand on us. 

Watching the highlights from this game I can’t believe we lost. Whittaker could easily have had a hat trick (or more) including smashing the crossbar from the edge of the area. Minkley hit the crossbar with a header. There were also a number of goal mouth scrambles. 

Man Utd made their few efforts on goal count (maybe 3 or 4 shots in total). For the first, we were dispossessed on the edge of the area, they quickly crossed it in and scored an unchallenged header. The second was a fantastic curling effort just outside the area.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Delap sounds like a bright prospect. Hopefully he can do better next season than what Whittaker has done this season.

I hope you’re not suggesting that Whittaker has done poorly this season. Otherwise @angieram or another avid follower of the youth teams will be giving you some choice words.

Just now, BurtonRam7 said:

I hope you’re not suggesting that Whittaker has done poorly this season. Otherwise @angieram or another avid follower of the youth teams will be giving you some choice words.

I worded it badly ? Whittaker is doing fantastically well. Despite both being England youth internationals, Delap seems to be the more highly rated forward. It’ll be great if we have another natural scorer alongside Whittaker 

For reference, here's a list of the current youth players used during the season at U23 and U18 level and the number of league apps made.

U23

• Goalkeepers
    • Barnes (11 apps)
    • Ravas (6 apps)
    • Yates (1 app)
  • Defenders
    • C MacDonald (17 apps)
    • Bateman (12 apps)
    • Hunt (11 apps)
    • Karic (11 apps)
    • Wassall (10 apps)
    • Gordon (9 apps)
    • Buchanan ( 3 apps)
    • Minkley (1 app)
    • K MacDonald (1 app)
    • Rashid (1 app)
  • Midfielders
    • Sibley (16 apps)
    • Bird (10 apps)
    • Eyoma (10 apps)
    • Babos (9 apps)
    • Knight (7 apps)
    • J Brown (4 apps) - also plays in defence
    • Roache (4 apps) - on loan from Blackpool
    • Elsnik (2 apps)
    • Dixon (2 apps)
  • Forwards
    • Cresswell (20 apps)
    • Mitchell-Lawson (16 apps)
    • Shonibare (16 apps)
    • McAllister (13 apps)
    • Wilson (5 apps)
    • Whittaker (4 apps)
    • Stretton (1 app)

U18

• Goalkeepers
    • French (19 apps)
    • Foster-Theniger (2 apps)
  • Defenders
    • Minkley (19 apps)
    • Cashin (17 apps)
    • A Brown (16 apps)
    • Ebosele (16 apps) - also plays on wing
    • Buchanan (12 apps)
    • K MacDonald (10 apps)
  • Midfielders
    • Dixon (19 apps)
    • Thompson (18 apps)
    • Knight (17 apps)
    • J Brown (17 apps) - also plays in defence
    • Charles (13 apps) - also plays in defence
    • Sibley (6 apps)
    • Bird (5 apps)
    • Nto (4 apps)
    • Matthews (4 apps)
  • Forwards
    • Whittaker (18 apps)
    • Wilson (17 apps)
    • Stretton (14 apps)
    • Splatt (10 apps)
    • Delap (7 apps)
    • Greco (4 apps)

7 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Has young delap moved on?

Not unless it's happened in the last 3 days

I think he's still only 15, or something like that, so hasn't made his way into the U18s permanently yet. It's a good sign of ability that he's managing to get into that squad at all at his age.

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Has young delap moved on?

He's been away with England for a large part of the last 4 months (in their squad for 11 games, started 7, came on for 2, and scored 5). He spent March back at Derby and started 2 games. he came on as a sub for the last half our in the FA cup defeat vs Man City. Prior to that, he played in 4 games last season.

Archived