Academy Thread 2018/19

Carl Sagan

1 minute ago, therealhantsram said:

But confused. Thought is wasn't mathematically guaranteed. And yet there's celebrations on social media, and a final with Arsenal been announced. Can anyone explain? 

Yes. Liverpool beat Middlesbrough 1- 0 this afternoon when they needed to win by 10 goals.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

But confused. Thought is wasn't mathematically guaranteed. And yet there's celebrations on social media, and a final with Arsenal been announced. Can anyone explain? 

You have a Northern and Southern League, the winners of both leagues play in a final, Arsenal won the Southern league.

We get a silver dinner plate for winning the league, we'll get a trophy for winning the final.

2 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Liverpool won 1-0 earlier today so young Rams win on goal difference (comfortably)

Is it a one-off final then? Not two legged?

Winning the league without playing on GD on the last day because Liverpool couldn't get the result they needed - where have I heard that before? Wass should have sent the lads to Majorca with Shorty shouldn't he?

2 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

You would think if there is a process to appeal a decision at that level (no idea?), that video evidence alone will rescind the decision?

I don't think yellow cards can be appealed at any level, so as it's a second yellow it will probably have to stand. Very, very strange refereeing decision, though.

7 minutes ago, JfR said:

I don't think yellow cards can be appealed at any level, so as it's a second yellow it will probably have to stand. Very, very strange refereeing decision, though.

Very strange, no wonder he was off in a rage, his hands barely made contact, yet the Czech kid made out like he’d been hit in the midriff by Mike Tyson.

Leaves you wondering what hope to improve sportsmanship, if kids at that level think it’s acceptable to feign stuff and get opponents sent off that way.

19 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

From what I saw, Keogh, Roos, Bryson, Malone, BJ, FloJo and Mount were all supporting the U18s last night. Fantastic to see.

Ashley Cole was there too

The youth season has now finished with a number stepping up from the 18s to the 23s. Below you is possible squad lists for next season assuming none are released (and I don't know many of the youths stepping up to the U18s). I've treid to group them as best I could based on what I've seen of them. Some are difficult to assign positions due to versatility (J Brown RB/CB/CM, A Brown LB/LW, etc..). I expect a lot to gain a taste of men's football next season at football league clubs - Ravas, Barnes, Gordon, Wassall, Bateman, MacDonald, Karic, Elsnik, Babos, Mitchell-Lawson, McAllsiter and Cresswell must be prime candidates

U23 Squad

• GKs
    • Ravas
    • Barnes
    • Yates
    • French
  • Defenders
    • Gordon
    • J Brown
    • Hunt
    • Wassall
    • Bateman
    • Buchanan
    • Minkley
    • Rashid
    • Karic
    • C MacDonald
  • Midfielders
    • Bird
    • Sibley
    • Elsnik
    • Knight
    • Babos
    • Dixon
    • Eyoma
  • Forwards
    • Mitchell-Lawson
    • McAllister
    • Shonibare
    • Wilson
    • Cresswell
    • Whittaker
    • Greco

U18 Squad

• GKs
    • Foster-Theniger
    • Halwax
  • Defenders
    • K MacDonald
    • Cashin
    • A Brown
    • Charles
  • Midfielders
    • Thompson
    • Nto
    • Matthews
    • Jinkinson
  • Forwards
    • Ebosele
    • Stretton
    • Splatt
    • Delap
    • Solomon

Correct me if I’ve got this wrong, but it’s a bit odd that this U18 squad win the league and get into Europe, but the academy players below will reap the rewards and actually play abroad, as most of the U18 will probably step up into the U23. 

25 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Correct me if I’ve got this wrong, but it’s a bit odd that this U18 squad win the league and get into Europe, but the academy players below will reap the rewards and actually play abroad, as most of the U18 will probably step up into the U23. 

Hopefully we win the league every year so it won’t make a difference. 

Of the 23's you've listed @Ghost of Clough, I'd expect McAllister and Elsnik to either be promoted to 1st team duties or moved on, if they're not in Frank's plans now I don't see another year altering anything.

Wilson and Mitchell-Lawson I'd hope to see knocking on the 1st team squad door while playing for the 23's.

Bird should secure a 1st team squad number next season, dropping down only to keep his eye in as necessary.

Which leads me to Sibley. This boy looks the business to me, I'd say our equivalent of Phil Foden, and I'd treat him the same way. Lots of 1st team involvement, starts and appearances off the bench when appropriate, before pushing him towards the end of next season to become a regular.

I'm basing the above on being in the same division as now, it's ironic that the best thing for the club may be the worst thing for the academy, but that's life.

2 hours ago, cosmic said:

It’s u19’s in Europe I think. 

Archived