Academy Thread 2018/19

Carl Sagan

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dean_Saunders said:

Didn’t Delap senior play for ROI?

Yes, he was eligible because he was born in England to Irish parents, which also means Liam would have been eligible to play for them as well, and still would be at an older level.

4 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

u18s having a storming game today, great way to finish the season!

It's six now!

Would imagine that that secures them as winners of the North, would take Liverpool winning their last two games by an 11 goal margin to overtake them

Brilliant result today for the under 18s. I felt for them after the defeat to Man Utd. 

I think onext of Liverpool's two remaining matches is against Man City so hopefully Liverpool lose that one and our young Rams can win by a points margin rather than just on goal difference.  

As aboveLiam Delap scored one of the goals today - he is fifteen! 

45 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Not mathematically certain yet but an impressive performance nonetheless.

I'd be shocked if Liverpool can score 11 unanswered goals to overturn the goal difference in just 2 games, especially as they have to play Man City.

On 25/04/2019 at 11:33, Ghost of Clough said:

For reference, here's a list of the current youth players used during the season at U23 and U18 level and the number of league apps made.

U23

• Goalkeepers
    • Barnes (11 apps)
    • Ravas (6 apps)
    • Yates (1 app)
  • Defenders
    • C MacDonald (17 apps)
    • Bateman (12 apps)
    • Hunt (11 apps)
    • Karic (11 apps)
    • Wassall (10 apps)
    • Gordon (9 apps)
    • Buchanan ( 3 apps)
    • Minkley (1 app)
    • K MacDonald (1 app)
    • Rashid (1 app)
  • Midfielders
    • Sibley (16 apps)
    • Bird (10 apps)
    • Eyoma (10 apps)
    • Babos (9 apps)
    • Knight (7 apps)
    • J Brown (4 apps) - also plays in defence
    • Roache (4 apps) - on loan from Blackpool
    • Elsnik (2 apps)
    • Dixon (2 apps)
  • Forwards
    • Cresswell (20 apps)
    • Mitchell-Lawson (16 apps)
    • Shonibare (16 apps)
    • McAllister (13 apps)
    • Wilson (5 apps)
    • Whittaker (4 apps)
    • Stretton (1 app)

U18

• Goalkeepers
    • French (19 apps)
    • Foster-Theniger (2 apps)
  • Defenders
    • Minkley (19 apps)
    • Cashin (17 apps)
    • A Brown (16 apps)
    • Ebosele (16 apps) - also plays on wing
    • Buchanan (12 apps)
    • K MacDonald (10 apps)
  • Midfielders
    • Dixon (19 apps)
    • Thompson (18 apps)
    • Knight (17 apps)
    • J Brown (17 apps) - also plays in defence
    • Charles (13 apps) - also plays in defence
    • Sibley (6 apps)
    • Bird (5 apps)
    • Nto (4 apps)
    • Matthews (4 apps)
  • Forwards
    • Whittaker (18 apps)
    • Wilson (17 apps)
    • Stretton (14 apps)
    • Splatt (10 apps)
    • Delap (7 apps)
    • Greco (4 apps)

Nice work G of C. What a guy! 

7 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I always got the sense that he was there just to make up the numbers. Is he any good?

I've always thought he was one of the steady ones.

I've never thought to myself "Wassall's been the best player on the pitch today", but I've never thought "this lads just not at it" either.

For me though, gauging a players ability based solely on academy performances is really challenging. Players who were average at academy level have become stars, players who dominate academy games have gone on to do nothing. So far, for example, Elsnik is looking like one of the latter.

I've personally considered Max Hunt to be the better CB this year - but this guys a professional scout and I'm just a guy who watches football. The only player I've been right about, so far, has been Jayden Bogle ? I suppose there's still time for Elsnik to come good. Everyone else has let me down ? 

17 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I always got the sense that he was there just to make up the numbers. Is he any good?

10 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I've always thought he was one of the steady ones.

I've never thought to myself "Wassall's been the best player on the pitch today", but I've never thought "this lads just not at it" either.

For me though, gauging a players ability based solely on academy performances is really challenging. Players who were average at academy level have become stars, players who dominate academy games have gone on to do nothing. So far, for example, Elsnik is looking like one of the latter.

I've personally considered Max Hunt to be the better CB this year - but this guys a professional scout and I'm just a guy who watches football. The only player I've been right about, so far, has been Jayden Bogle ? I suppose there's still time for Elsnik to come good. Everyone else has let me down ? 

Certain scouts will put more emphasis towards 'the basics' whereas others value 'playing out from the back'.

To me, Wassall is our best defender at the basics (heading, tackling, reading play, etc) He's also a leader. But, he's not very quick, and playing with a high line means he gets exposed. His passing range is nowhere near the level of Hunt, instead typically sticking to short passes to a man in space. In a team set up more defensively, he'll do well and could have a solid career at League 2 level

Archived