Would it be that bad ?

RiddingsRam

12 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Im sorry i disagree. This team would be mostly awful chucked together. People keep talking and hyping up the marvelous youth we have at our disposal however apart from Mason none have proved themselves at championship level, they could come into the side and get blown away. Sticking with old heads like Bryson, Martin and Forsyth would be a mistake they are not the same players as they were in 2014! Others like Anya, Nugent and Ledley would be earning a wage to do bugger all and all 3 are poor players now. We need to get players out asap and some quality in asap. Its a tough league we have to be prepared for it, If were all honest MM put us in this position.

Warnock would get promotion with this squad plus or minus two or three astute cheap signings because he could see the problems straight away. You know it's true. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Im sorry i disagree. This team would be mostly awful chucked together. People keep talking and hyping up the marvelous youth we have at our disposal however apart from Mason none have proved themselves at championship level, they could come into the side and get blown away. Sticking with old heads like Bryson, Martin and Forsyth would be a mistake they are not the same players as they were in 2014! Others like Anya, Nugent and Ledley would be earning a wage to do bugger all and all 3 are poor players now. We need to get players out asap and some quality in asap. Its a tough league we have to be prepared for it, If were all honest MM put us in this position.

I agree with this and hope that Lampard doesn’t have the same view as some in this thread. If he does, he might end up like Nigel Pearson did where he thought there was quality in the squad but when he realised that improvements needed to be made, he panic bought Vydra and Anya after a poor start to the season. Lampard doesn’t have the luxury of the permanent transfer window being open like Pearson did after the season started. The squad that Pearson had was arguably in a better condition than this current one was too.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I respectfully disagree.

If we want to play an attacking brand of football then this squad as it is not good enough. If we want to play defensive, pragmatic football as we did last season then we’d have a better chance of getting into the top 6 but many people including myself want to move away from that and want to see more progressive football. There’s no energy in the team, particularly in midfield , genuine quality in the wide areas or quality in the full back areas in an attacking sense.

I despised Rowett’s football but I’d suggest that one of the reasons that he played that way is because he knew it was the only way that we would compete for a top 6 spot. We didnt have enough quality to go toe to toe with other teams in this league.

Squad looks 15 stone lighter to me. We need a lightweight squad. Not an ounce of fat on most premiership talents. 

I'd say we're stronger than last season. 

Out: Baird, Shackell, Bent, Weimann

In: Bryson, Martin, Blackman, Butterfield

Plus exciting developing youngsters who will challenge: Elsnik, Thomas, Guy, Bogle, Lowe, Bennett, Vernam, Zanzala, Babos, Bird

I'm happy for another half dozen senior pros to go. Depending which ones we may need one or two to come in. 

4 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Warnock would get promotion with this squad plus or minus two or three astute cheap signings because he could see the problems straight away. You know it's true. 

That may be true and I think Warnock’s a fantastic manager but Warnock doesn’t really care about the way his teams play. He doesn’t care about attractive football, as long as it gets the job done. However, I think many Derby fans want to see a more progressive style of football after seeing Rowett’s football last season.

2 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Also what if Frank's not planning on playing with wingers . 

A 352 or 41212 ? 

With the current squad i'd say a narrow 41212 would probably best suit us with Lawrence behind Martin + Vydra.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

That may be true and I think Warnock’s a fantastic manager but Warnock doesn’t really care about the way his teams play. He doesn’t care about attractive football, as long as it gets the job done. However, I think many Derby fans want to see a more progressive style of football after seeing Rowett’s football last season.

What do you mean Rowett's football? ?

If the dinosaur of England football can evolve into a new species then all things are possible because I am watching England and can still not believe my eyes. 

2 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

With the current squad i'd say a narrow 41212 would probably best suit us with Lawrence behind Martin + Vydra.

Even in that formation though we’d still need to buy new full backs and centre midfielders. The full backs in that formation need to be exceptional going forward to provide width in the team. As for the centre midfielders, they need to have lots of energy to cover the spaces vacated by the full backs and the two advanced midfielders must also be good technically.

Clement’s team in 15/16 was probably the squad that most suited the diamond.

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

That's a solid team , hence my point if we do actually need signings 

Carson

Wisdom.       Keogh.     Davies.    Lowe 

Huddlestone

Johnson.                  Bryson 

Lawrence 

Martin.        Vydra.   

Or even 

Carson 

Wisdom.  Keogh.   Davies

Anya.                                             Lowe 

Huddlestone

Lawrence            Johnson 

Vydra 

Martin 

On paper either of them teams are competitive in this league . Plus you've got 

Butterfield

Jerome 

Nugent 

Thorne 

Blackman

To name but a few who could seamlessly fit into them set ups.

13 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I agree with this and hope that Lampard doesn’t have the same view as some in this thread. If he does, he might end up like Nigel Pearson did where he thought there was quality in the squad but when he realised that improvements needed to be made, he panic bought Vydra and Anya after a poor start to the season. Lampard doesn’t have the luxury of the permanent transfer window being open like Pearson did after the season started. The squad that Pearson had was arguably in a better condition than this current one was too.

If rumours are to be believed he doesn't have the money Pearson had either with out selling.

It is all conjecture as we will never know what is really happening behind the scenes.

What will be will be and I am positive it will all unfold in good time.

Chill everyone. 

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Based on the current squad my only concern really would be our wingers - we currently only have Anya, Blackman, Bennett + Thomas - for me that isn't a strong enough 4 to help us push for top 6. Every other position we still have a pretty decent squad.

Play without wingers then! (3-4-3 / 3-5-2)

If we stay as we are with Vydra, Bryson etc then I can see us competing with positive tactics, it could be an exciting season.

I've been saying it for the last 8 transfer windows now, we just lack a couple of quality players (actually 3), 1 winger, 1 left back and 1 young central midfielder, (Thorne would have been my man).

Only problem is we sell a good player to replace with a good player...we need to start adding to the good that we have.

The problem I have is that everyone else is improving apart from us, this season, the usual candidates will be around the top 6 like Middlesbrough, Bristol city, Preston and at least a couple relegated teams, not to mention the likes of Sheffield Wednesday who had an off year last year, and as much as we hate it, the red dogs will probably be up there as well. Can this squad do as well as it did last season? Maybe it can but I can’t see it, my point is I hope we don’t fall through the cracks and get leapfrogged by teams who finished 18th last season.

58 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Undisclosed = 0?

Blackburn signed davenport from man city 

Damn it, least you're awake. You are correct, kinda. ? is when nobody is reporting anything on the fee at all, majority of transfers are undisclosed these days. There is a few question marks which I didn't take into account. Quick Google shows it being a six figure sum plus add-on. Guess away.

There is also question marks on:

Adam Federici - Bournemouth to Stoke

Andrew Hughes - Peterborough to Preston
Graham Burke - Shamrock Rovers to Preston
Jordan Storey - Exeter to Preston

Murray Wallace - Scunthorpe to Millwall

Saïd Benrahma - Nice to Brentford

Moritz Leitner - Augsberg to Norwich

Costel Pantilimon - Watford to Forest

David Milinkovic - Genoa to Hull

Leonardo da Silva Lopes - Peterborough to Wigan

Joe Rothwell - Oxford to Blackburn
Jacob Davenport - Man City to Blackburn

Clark Robertson - Blackpool to Rotherham
Kyle Vassell - Blackpool to Rotherham

Sooooooooooooooo an updated list:

0 Swansea, Villa, Derby, Sheff Wed

1 WBA, Millwall, Sheff Utd, Leeds, QPR, Birmingham

2 Boro, Brentord, Ipswich, Blackburn

3+ Preston, Bristol City, Norwich, Forest, Hull, Reading, Bolton, Wigan, Rotherham, Stoke

Over half the league haven't spent anything on permanent signings and brought in 2 or fewer players

(Figures taken from Transfermarkt)

Forest £27.1m+
Stoke £20.70m+
Boro £13.7m
Bristol City £9.05m
WBA £7.35m
Norwich £3.02m+
Brentford £2.85m+
Birmingham £2.5m
Hull £1.7m+
Reading £1.35m
Preston £1.1m+
Blackburn ?
Rotherham ?
Wigan ?
Millwall ?
Bolton £0
QPR £0
Leeds £0
Ipswich Town £0
Sheff Utd £0
Swansea £0
Villa £0
Derby £0
Sheff Wed £0

Grab a cookie from the jar @RamNut

27 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Even in that formation though we’d still need to buy new full backs and centre midfielders. The full backs in that formation need to be exceptional going forward to provide width in the team. As for the centre midfielders, they need to have lots of energy to cover the spaces vacated by the full backs and the two advanced midfielders must also be good technically.

Clement’s team in 15/16 was probably the squad that most suited the diamond.

The thread is based on this current squad of players. Wisdom/Bogle + Forsyth/Lowe have enough about them to offer width going forward in a 41212 - i'm not saying this is my preferred formation just based on our current team it's probably the best suited. Unless we went 4-3-3 with Lawrence + Blackman out wide

Archived