Would it be that bad ?

RiddingsRam

Seen a lot of comments about a lack of activity regarding incoming transfers . No jumping the gun and a big what if ? But what if we didn't sign anyone ? Could we still compete ? I personally think so , look at the quality in the squad . Maybe all it needs is someone to get that quality to gel . Cue Frank and the boys ....... 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RiddingsRam said:

Seen a lot of comments about a lack of activity regarding incoming transfers . No jumping the gun and a big what if ? But what if we didn't sign anyone ? Could we still compete ? I personally think so , look at the quality in the squad . Maybe all it needs is someone to get that quality to gel . Cue Frank and the boys ....... 

Agree. It would not be an apocalyptic event if we didn't sign anyone.

Based on the current squad my only concern really would be our wingers - we currently only have Anya, Blackman, Bennett + Thomas - for me that isn't a strong enough 4 to help us push for top 6. Every other position we still have a pretty decent squad.

7 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Wouldn’t be a disaster would it

lost -wieman 

returned -forwards - Martin Blackman Bennett midfielders- Bryson  Elsnick Butterfield-defenders- lowe 

we have options of how to play and have the opportunity to replace wieman with the likes of Bennett and Thomas 

It's fairly quiet all over, only a handful that are chucking the money around.

0 Swansea, Villa, Derby, Sheff Wed

1 WBA, Millwall, Sheff Utd, Leeds, QPR, Birmingham

2 Boro, Brentord, Ipswich, Blackburn

3+ Preston, Bristol City, Norwich, Forest, Hull, Reading, Bolton, Wigan, Rotherham, Stoke

Over half the league haven't spent anything on permanent signings and brought in 2 or fewer players

(Figures taken from Transfermarkt)

Forest £27.1m
Stoke £20.70m
Boro £13.7m
Bristol City £9.05m
WBA £7.35m
Norwich £3.02m
Brentford £2.85m
Birmingham £2.5m
Hull £1.7m
Reading £1.35m
Preston £1.1m
Blackburn £0
Rotherham £0
Wigan £0
Bolton £0
QPR £0
Leeds £0
Ipswich Town £0
Sheff Utd £0
Millwall £0
Swansea £0
Villa £0
Derby £0
Sheff Wed £0

6 minutes ago, David said:

3+ Preston, Bristol City, Norwich, Forest, Hull, Reading, Bolton, Wigan, Rotherham, Stoke

Over half the league haven't spent anything on permanent signings and brought in 2 or fewer players

Forest £27.1m
Stoke £20.70m
Boro £13.7m
Bristol City £9.05m
WBA £7.35m
Norwich £3.02m
Brentford £2.85m
Birmingham £2.5m
Hull £1.7m
Reading £1.35m
Preston £1.1m
Blackburn £0
Rotherham £0
Wigan £0
Bolton £0
QPR £0
Leeds £0
Ipswich Town £0
Sheff Utd £0
Millwall £0
Swansea £0
Villa £0
Derby £0
Sheff Wed £0

By far the best Post yet, David. What a guy! 

Im sorry i disagree. This team would be mostly awful chucked together. People keep talking and hyping up the marvelous youth we have at our disposal however apart from Mason none have proved themselves at championship level, they could come into the side and get blown away. Sticking with old heads like Bryson, Martin and Forsyth would be a mistake they are not the same players as they were in 2014! Others like Anya, Nugent and Ledley would be earning a wage to do bugger all and all 3 are poor players now. We need to get players out asap and some quality in asap. Its a tough league we have to be prepared for it, If were all honest MM put us in this position.

14 minutes ago, David said:

Forest £27.1m
Stoke £20.70m
Boro £13.7m
Bristol City £9.05m
WBA £7.35m
Norwich £3.02m
Brentford £2.85m
Birmingham £2.5m
Hull £1.7m
Reading £1.35m
Preston £1.1m
Blackburn £0
Rotherham £0
Wigan £0
Bolton £0
QPR £0
Leeds £0
Ipswich Town £0
Sheff Utd £0
Millwall £0
Swansea £0
Villa £0
Derby £0
Sheff Wed £0

How the league table might look come next May ?

27 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Based on the current squad my only concern really would be our wingers - we currently only have Anya, Blackman, Bennett + Thomas - for me that isn't a strong enough 4 to help us push for top 6. Every other position we still have a pretty decent squad.

What about Lawrence ?

Depends on what you want to achieve , 

1. No Relegation battle - its not that Bad should have enough to achieve this
  2. Mid Table mediocrity - Ditto
  3. Top six finish - doubt it slightly bad
  4. Automatic - It would be that bad 

I respectfully disagree.

If we want to play an attacking brand of football then this squad as it is not good enough. If we want to play defensive, pragmatic football as we did last season then we’d have a better chance of getting into the top 6 but many people including myself want to move away from that and want to see more progressive football. There’s no energy in the team, particularly in midfield , genuine quality in the wide areas or quality in the full back areas in an attacking sense.

I despised Rowett’s football but I’d suggest that one of the reasons that he played that way is because he knew it was the only way that we would compete for a top 6 spot. We didnt have enough quality to go toe to toe with other teams in this league.

Archived