Would it be that bad ?

RiddingsRam

3 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Is there a limit to first team squad size by EFL? If there is and we don't lose anybody no young player is going to get a sniff!

No

EDIT: Well, there is, but it's on players over the age of 21. So doesn't effect the youth.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, McLovin said:

Because of how fantastic form at the start of the season is what saw us through in the end.

The way I see it is that not a lot changed between when we were in fantastic form and when we went two months without a win. The main difference was that Vydra’s goals dried up and Carson’s and Davies’ performances dipped and the team as a whole felt the consequences of that due to the reliance particularly on these three players.

We didn't have fantastic form at the start of the season, not by a long shot. 3 wins, 4 draws and 3 defeats in the 1st 10 games with those defeats being paired with alarmingly poor performances where the opposition (Wolves/Sheff Utd/Bristol) swarmed our midfield pairing of Huddlestone/Johnson, creating chance after chance. We were lucky to only concede 4 against Bristol City! I'd call it an average start with some very worrying signs.

Then we signed Ledley, 20th September. He was a feature in the team up until the end of December - 16 games, 11 wins, 4 draws & just 1 defeat. Then he got injured. I'm not saying it was all down to him, but he made a big difference. We also had Winnall from 8th September, & Russell. Those 2 scored 11 goals between them.

After that it was back to the Huddlestone/Johnson & Huddlestone/Thorne combos (neither work), there was no Russell so Weimann became our default starting winger, Winnall did manage another 6 appearances in Jan/Feb - his final game for us was our last win (3-0 at home to Brentford) before we went 2 months without a win.

I'd say that quite a lot had changed between our poor start, our great run and then again for our poo run, and then our final jolt of form only came about because of the change of formation, so another big change.

That's without factoring in Nugent's legs catching up with him and Jerome failing to make an impression until the change in formation. Loads of things were different, far more than the form of Carson/Davies/Vydra,

On 11/07/2018 at 18:33, McLovin said:

That may be true and I think Warnock’s a fantastic manager but Warnock doesn’t really care about the way his teams play. He doesn’t care about attractive football, as long as it gets the job done. However, I think many Derby fans want to see a more progressive style of football after seeing Rowett’s football last season.

Nor does he care about the medium or long term.

As best as I can work out, of his eight career promotions, three of those eight were to the Premier League.

And he’s managed to stay up on precisely none of those three.

On 11/07/2018 at 08:54, Sparkle said:

Wouldn’t be a disaster would it

lost -wieman 

returned -forwards - Martin Blackman Bennett midfielders- Bryson  Elsnick Butterfield-defenders- lowe 

we have options of how to play and have the opportunity to replace wieman with the likes of Bennett and Thomas 

How many chances can Bennett have? Not good enough, move on 

25 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

How many chances can Bennett have? Not good enough, move on 

Don't talk rubbish, until the lad has been given a proper run of 8-10 starts then nobody should make such an ignorant sweeping statement.

I hope we give the lad a chance and he rams those words back down your throat.

46 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Don't talk rubbish, until the lad has been given a proper run of 8-10 starts then nobody should make such an ignorant sweeping statement.

I hope we give the lad a chance and he rams those words back down your throat.

Ohhhhhh sorry Mason didn’t realise you were on the forum. 

Nothing sweeping or ignorant about the statement, he’s  been given several chances over several seasons.  He’s been on loan in the lower leagues and not got great feedback. He’s not showed anything to suggest he’ll make it at this level, time to move on and give our other youth a chance or bring in better.  We have to improve the squad, not be statisfied with mediocrity. 

Archived