John Terry v Vicki Sparks

Parsnip

Same in Germany with Claudia Neumann. It's not about her beeing a female. She's just so annoying, changing player's clubs etc.

But yeah. In 2018 you call 'criticism' of course 'sexist'.

Btw the worst German ref in 1.Bundesliga is a female - but don't even try to critize her ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

They're just not given the same respect and chance as others because of their gender so are always p1ssing against the wind so to speak. 

Some of us would pay good money to see Alex Scott p1ssing against the wind.

9 hours ago, McLovin said:

I managed to watch some of the game earlier and I can understand why people complained, including Terry. She was terrible and Keown had to correct her on a number of occasions. 

She kept on screeching and called Portugal, ‘Porto’ and said ‘Coutinho is about to take the corner.’ She was out of her depth. Unpopular opinion but you can call a woman commmentator rubbish without being sexist. She’s a poor commentator as is Mark Lawrenson.

Keown should be sacked immediately for the egregious crime of "mansplaining".

Vicki Sparks wasn't that bad imo, I was talking about her commentary with friends during the match and the only comment we had of note was disappointment that she uses all of the same clichés as everyone else. There were a few incorrect statements, but that happens a lot with commentary in general, with the exception of the household names, with whom it still happens occasionally. There were also a couple of times where she was determined to finish her general chatter even when an attack was progressing (not that that happened often in that game), but again; this is quite common with less well known commentators. RamsTV's poor man's Partridge has been interrupted by a goal on more than one occasion. 

She is the only commentator I've heard that has pronounced Benatia's name correctly, so there's a plus.

Based on Terry's wording I think it is more likely that he genuinely had no volume, rather than turning it off due to commentary. Not that it would be some heinous act to have done so.

47 minutes ago, angieram said:

She is now in the Prem - seen her a couple of times on tv.

Do remember when she got loads of abuse for an offside that looked onside and then replays showed she was spot on. Think it was Man United fans.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Do remember when she got loads of abuse for an offside that looked onside and then replays showed she was spot on. Think it was Man United fans.

We just need to judge everyone on their merits.

I'm just a bit sad that people are commenting because it is relatively unusual still so we do notice it. Slow progress but definitely progress.

I find it all a bit ugh. 

I thought she was crap, not because she’s a woman, she was just crap, but it’s difficult to come out and say that without being labelled a sexist.

You then have to chuck male commentators in like Lawrenson and says he’s crap as well, which feels like you’re doing the my mates black so I can’t be racist routine. 

I have zero issues with women in football, none at all, but the quota thing feels forced and as a result the game you’re watching suffers.

I’m sure women would like to be there on merit, not to fill a quota and be open to the same criticism. She was crap.

By the way Kelly Cates, she’s great, not seen her anywhere near the World Cup, maybe she didn’t want to, family and that.

And I have 2 nieces and a nephew that are mixed race.

48 minutes ago, David said:

I have zero issues with women in football, none at all.

Me neither. They pull a decent pint and typically take more care making sure a pie is hot. I particularly like the ones who wear low cut tops, and say things laden with innuendo. Just a personal preference though. I fully accept different viewpoints of course. I am not a caveman.

57 minutes ago, David said:

By the way Kelly Cates, she’s great, not seen her anywhere near the World Cup, maybe she didn’t want to, family and that.

And I have 2 nieces and a nephew that are mixed race.

She’s doing 5 Live

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Me neither. They pull a decent pint and typically take more care making sure a pie is hot. I particularly like the ones who wear low cut tops, and say things laden with innuendo. Just a personal preference though. I fully accept different viewpoints of course. I am not a caveman.

If my missus could hear you talk like that she'd put you in your place mate.

She's hoovering though

On 20/06/2018 at 18:39, RadioactiveWaste said:

I often turn the commentators off.

Even radio Derby.

The general level of punditry this WC seems particularly bad/irritating and the contributions of the female pundits are the least of the concerns.

It’s not just me then ?

I also watch most matches with a 15 minute delay, to avoid all the none sense being spouted at Half time too. 

It;s not diificult -

If you say you don't like a commentator and make reference to her gender then you should probably pause to ask yourself if there is a sexist undercurrent to what you are saying. Because if you don't then someone else is sure as hell going to point it out. If you can't deal with that then don't say it in the first place. There is real value in keeping some thoughts internal. It's sad that the majority of people who come out with this sort of thing do it to deliberately start arguments

If you say you don't like a commentator because they are crap then that's OK.

Archived