Jack Marriott - Signed on a 3 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, thederbyram said:

I take all of that on board mate and fair enough on Oliveira, but why do you doubt Frank would have a different way of playing 4-3-3 to Mac?

Because the 4-3-3, no matter where in the world it's played an no matter which division it's implemented in, tends to work the same way. And that way, is an attempt to implement "Total Football". I'll include a cracking video if you're interested in the ins and outs of this, but a quick summary would be:

- Fullbacks who join in the attack and link up with the wingers

-A CDM who sits back with the two centre-halves when the full-backs go forward.

- Central midfielders who press forward into the 18-yard box to support attacks.

- Wingers who have the aptitude of strikers: they will often play in an "inverted winger" role and cut inside often.

- A striker (often a big one with a height and weight advantage) who has the ability to hold up play, and link the midfield with the wings. 

So far, from the pre-season friendlies (not a great collection of evidence, I know) you could say that all of those things have been on show in Lampard's system, apart from the last one. Lampard's strikers so far (Nugent and Jerome) have pressed and hugged the last man in the same way Rowett's strikers played. 

It's for this reason that I wondered whether Lampard might attempt to implement a "different type" of 4-3-3, but I doubt it, mostly because so many of the traditional elements of the 4-3-3 are already on show, and that I couldn't name one 4-3-3 in the world (apart from perhaps Barca) where they can play without the big No.9.

6 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

I'll only tell you this once more... Chris Maguire was lethal. He was more than worthy of wearing that Ram on chest...

You've watched too much YouTube, mate. Next thing you'll be suggesting we sign KSI because he's decent on Fifa...

12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

... To my knowledge, Posh played 4-2-3-1 for most of the season. I'd imagine Marriott would fit into a Rowett system perfectly. But this Lampard one? I'm not so sure, yet.

I thought that just from watching a bit of the YouTube vid.

34 minutes ago, MauritianMonsta said:

Funny enough I quite like the look of Maddison from this too. Surprised nobody has made the move for £2.5m. Maybe Brentford has now it seems. Love getting it right they do.

Virtually every goal is either from the 6 yard box or one on ones from through balls.  Quite a difference to the areas Vydra plays and scores/ creates.  Different type of player.  There is no doubt about Vydra’s quality but I could see why Lampard may sacrifice him for the long term good of the team and also how Marriott would fit the style of play he is putting in place - high press and quality balls into the box.

some cracking goals from Vydra though

15 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Bare in mind that I have seen a lot more of Oliveira than I have of Marriott. Like many of here, my only knowledge of JM comes from YouTube highlight videos: a very poor place to form an opinion. YouTube could convince you that Chris Maguire was worth having a punt on. Anyway...

Oliveira can lead a line and play in a convential 4-3-3. I've seen him do it. He's much more physical than I would suspect Marriott is, and his link up play with midfielders has been very impressive. Worth remembering that, at the beginning of last season, Swansea wanted him to lead the line for them in the Premier League. It's also worth factoring in that, to my eye, Daniel Farke is perhaps the worst manager in the Championship. His tactics are so negative and dull and it's clear he doesn't get on with Oliveira. I'm certain the manager has affected his performances this season.

Also, I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that Marriott would fit into the 4-3-3 Lampard is trying to implement? To my knowledge, Posh played 4-2-3-1 for most of the season. I'd imagine Marriott would fit into a Rowett system perfectly. But this Lampard one? I'm not so sure, yet.

Perhaps Lampard's 4-3-3 will be different from McClaren's in that it wont need a big man in the No.9 position to link to the midfield. I doubt that, though.

Good points, obviously I am in a similar boat. I thought Nelson did a job on us last season at Pride Park, despite his penalty miss. I'd personally not be too over the moon with his signing, though, purely on his overall goal record. Marriott is definitely an unknown in this division, but if we've done our homework  - and I hope we have - and that's the reason he's been remarked as our 'number one target' then hopefully we've seen something in him, aside from the fact he's the top scorer from the league below. 

Ultimately, I think that's what it boils down to. If Lampard and Co have really done their homework or just going off the numbers.  

EDIT: just to clarify everyone on here is just going off the numbers and/or previous (different) players that have made the step up. It's crazy to say Marriott will or won't make it because of Assombalonga and/or Billy Paynter - for example. 

All goals are good of course - most of those were six yard box or running through with no defenders in sight but the standard of defending on show was at best woeful - maybe that’s the difference between league one defenders - I don’t know but more than £3 million seems to be a very big gamble 

37 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Because the 4-3-3, no matter where in the world it's played an no matter which division it's implemented in, tends to work the same way. And that way, is an attempt to implement "Total Football". I'll include a cracking video if you're interested in the ins and outs of this, but a quick summary would be:

- Fullbacks who join in the attack and link up with the wingers

-A CDM who sits back with the two centre-halves when the full-backs go forward.

- Central midfielders who press forward into the 18-yard box to support attacks.

- Wingers who have the aptitude of strikers: they will often play in an "inverted winger" role and cut inside often.

- A striker (often a big one with a height and weight advantage) who has the ability to hold up play, and link the midfield with the wings. 

So far, from the pre-season friendlies (not a great collection of evidence, I know) you could say that all of those things have been on show in Lampard's system, apart from the last one. Lampard's strikers so far (Nugent and Jerome) have pressed and hugged the last man in the same way Rowett's strikers played. 

It's for this reason that I wondered whether Lampard might attempt to implement a "different type" of 4-3-3, but I doubt it, mostly because so many of the traditional elements of the 4-3-3 are already on show, and that I couldn't name one 4-3-3 in the world (apart from perhaps Barca) where they can play without the big No.9.

Barca it is then. 

47 minutes ago, Donnyram said:

Virtually every goal is either from the 6 yard box or one on ones from through balls.  Quite a difference to the areas Vydra plays and scores/ creates.  Different type of player.  There is no doubt about Vydra’s quality but I could see why Lampard may sacrifice him for the long term good of the team and also how Marriott would fit the style of play he is putting in place - high press and quality balls into the box.

some cracking goals from Vydra though

See that video of Mariott has the opposite effect on me. It makes him look very much a pure poacher who thrives with space to run into behind. Ideally you want a forward who can drop into midfield and make quick interchanges with the midfielders a la Firmino. 

Now I realise I'm judging him off a 3 minute video but I didn't see anything there to get excited over. So for those who've seen him play is that video a fair representation ? 

42 minutes ago, archied said:

The vyds clip shows that contrary to a lot of views ,there’s far more to vydra than just the goals 

I've been quite negative on Vydra of late but if you could get him to click in a false 9 role it'd certainly give us a strong attack. 

It's a big if though as most of the evidence points to him struggling without someone leading the line in front of him.

Even though I think Vydra was fantastic for us last season (and still think could be for us for this season) I do think Marriott would be a better fit for the system.

Watching the two YouTube compilations Marriott has more finesse and seems to be able to pick out where he wants the ball to go, even in close proximity to the goal. Vydra hits it wildly, and uses the pace of the ball to beat the keeper.

Peterborough chairman been on Twitter agsin tonight, interacted with a few derby fans, claims that the asking price isn't 6m and thats the price papers have made up. 

If its below 5m then we need to take a gamble on this lad.

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

Peterborough chairman been on Twitter agsin tonight, interacted with a few derby fans, claims that the asking price isn't 6m and thats the price papers have made up. 

This is what’s odd. Forest were said to be interested, again wouldn’t meet the asking price. They then sign Lewis Grabban for £5m, if it was lower than £6m they would have had the money.

Might be £5m, all down to the payment plan, maybe they want it all upfront where clubs are looking to get him on the monthly

4 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

It could be 5,999,999.99 and he’s having us all on ?

Archived