Scottish Winger we bought

oldtimeram

Can't remember the lads name (Callum or Kyle?) I heard he was injured for much of last season but I was led to believe he is good prospect.  Surely if he is fit now we should be looking to give him some time in the team this season.  Thoughts ladies and gents? 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Can't remember the lads name (Callum or Kyle?) I heard he was injured for much of last season but I was led to believe he is good prospect.  Surely if he is fit now we should be looking to give him some time in the team this season.  Thoughts ladies and gents? 

Yes hope he stays fit. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_McAllister

Feel gutted for the lad and really want to see him in action, but being out for what seems like an entire 1 - 2 seasons between the ages of 16 & 19 must really take a toll on the potential for development.

14 competitive games since 2015, and what, two/three for our U23s? 

4 minutes ago, Taribo said:

Feel gutted for the lad and really want to see him in action, but being out for what seems like an entire 1 - 2 seasons between the ages of 16 & 19 must really take a toll on the potential for development.

14 competitive games since 2015, and what, two/three for our U23s? 

sounds like the entire 1st team lol

Just because you have heard hes good in a Scottish league or U23's doesn't mean he deserves a start in the first team - we need quality. lets remember hes played the same amount of minutes in the championship as i have.......0

2 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

No harm in giving him a try surely. 

So you think we should be playing somebody whose name you didn't know and you have never seen play?

Maybe, if we were 20 points adrift at the bottom and going down, then yeh throw some kids in and see what happens, but other than that they should make the team based on merit not the fact that they're young and may have potential.

2 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

No harm in giving him a try surely. 

Depends how the season is going? Start the season with the best players out come January/February if it is evident that were not challenging for promotion and we should be safe from relegation then give him a go..... 

Got out of the wrong side of the bed today eh Bob? 

All I am saying is we should be encouraging some of the younger players to get some first team action. I am not saying throw all the youngsters in all at once but give them some game time whenever possible and when the circumstances are right e.g. 3 nil up with 20 mins to go, why not give the lad 20 mins on the pitch to see what he can do? Same goes for some of the other lads like Elsnik, Thomas and Gordon. If we do not try and blood some of these lads we might as well not have an Academy. 

He was bought to come in to the side late last season but his injury was too serious. He was stated as being beyond our current crop at the similar age for readiness for the first team. If fit i'd put him in with first team training and get him ready for the season at 1st team level. He's 19 now and has playing a good number of first team games for St Mirren.

The club themselves were making noises like he was closer to the first team than youth when he arrived.

14 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

He was bought to come in to the side late last season but his injury was too serious. He was stated as being beyond our current crop at the similar age for readiness for the first team. If fit i'd put him in with first team training and get him ready for the season at 1st team level. He's 19 now and has playing a good number of first team games for St Mirren.

The club themselves were making noises like he was closer to the first team than youth when he arrived.

was that in Rogery's time? If so there is no way he can be 19 and be close to the first team. 29 borderline.......39, prime.........

• 1 month later...

New interview with Kyle McAllister here. I like that he says he's learning how to manage his comeback gradually, but it is worrying that he says he's never been fully fit since he was a youngster. He looks to have real talent, so let's hope he does come back as he's yet another winger on our books.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/07/mcallister-feeling-mentally-tougher-and-physically-stronger-than-ever

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

New interview with Kyle McAllister here. I like that he says he's learning how to manage his comeback gradually, but it is worrying that he says he's never been fully fit since he was a youngster. He looks to have real talent, so let's hope he does come back as he's yet another winger on our books.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/07/mcallister-feeling-mentally-tougher-and-physically-stronger-than-ever

release him

Interesting interview. Explained that even playing in Scotland, he was never fit. Playing with constant niggles took its toll and he unfortunately paid the price. Michael Owen had loads of niggles at his peak, Liverpool gave him constant injections so he could get through and play 40+ games a season. His career was finished at 30 due his injuries never healing properly.

I'm glad the club weren't making Kyle play minutes when he isn't fit. 19 years old, give the lad a chance when he's ready to go. Hopefully this will prolong his career in the future.

Archived