World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

Justice prevailed in the end!

Tunisia were anti football and deserved absolutely nothing from the game. Fouling, time wasting and gamesmanship galore and a ref that was so poor he couldn't see it. 

In fact there were 8/9 officials with VAR last night and none of them could see the 2 blatant penalties on Kane? Very convenient that it wouldn't work for England. 

We're basically the Millwall of international football 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought, like many, that Trippier was our motm. Naturally the award went to Kane but Trippier didn't put a foot wrong all game.

Also:

Worth adding, that's the highest number of chances one player has created in this World Cup so far.

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Panama are dirge. We will beat them comfortably.

First statement correct. Second statement worries me.

We bloody well should, we are significantly better than they are. But a complacent half assed england don't get the early goal and fade in ideas and belief as time wears on is a depressing scene we've had from England teams before.

TO make it worse, you know Rowett was cheering every Panama foul and txting his stokiemon hoards "that's how to play my boys"

51 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

I think playing a back four against such opposition is antiquated and shows little logic ……………. but football is a game of opinions 

Antiquated? It's not a fashion parade, its a sport. So rather play a system we don't have the players for and play it averagely? That shows no logic. 

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Am curious that everyone has assumed we'll beat Panama.

OK, we probably will,  but until we have, lets not get crazy.

A nil nil v Panama and we would need a point v Belgium to be sure. 

Did you watch them? They were poor, nothing to be surprised about. They won 3 games in the whole of qualifying and had a -1 goal difference.

Nothing is guaranteed but we have to be pretty bloody confident of beating them. They tried to counter Belgium & played for the draw which is fair enough. Now they need to win or they’re effectively out. A draw for us, although not being a “good” result, is still likely to be enough to qualify assuming Belgium beat Tunisia.

They’ll need to go for it at some point & we should pick them off without too many problems.

Kane has got his tail up after a brace in the opener and a late winner has a way of lifting the mood. There were periods of the game when we huffed and puffed against Tunisia so Southgate will no doubt make them fully aware of that this week. 

The problem is that Panama will stick men behind the ball so it might not be pretty, but international football against teams sitting deep rarely is.

England by 2 or more for me.

6 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Kane has got his tail up after a brace in the opener and a late winner has a way of lifting the mood. There were periods of the game when we huffed and puffed against Tunisia so Southgate will no doubt make them fully aware of that this week. 

The problem is that Panama will stick men behind the ball so it might not be pretty, but international football against teams sitting deep rarely is.

England by 2 or more for me.

As well as our general attacking display I thought we were very dangerous from set pieces. Panama will concede against us if only from a set piece. Can they score against us? I doubt it.

4 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

Finishing machine ? Calm down , i think even Mikkel Beck would have put those gifts away !!! 

The second goal was a pretty good header actually, it wasn't as easy as you're implying. Alongside being in the right place at the right time.

14 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The second goal was a pretty good header actually, it wasn't as easy as you're implying. Alongside being in the right place at the right time.

I thought it was a terrific header, took a lot of skill for me. Glad it was Kane who was in the right place. Think it’s been underrated so far 

37 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Did you watch them? They were poor, nothing to be surprised about. They won 3 games in the whole of qualifying and had a -1 goal difference.

Nothing is guaranteed but we have to be pretty bloody confident of beating them. They tried to counter Belgium & played for the draw which is fair enough. Now they need to win or they’re effectively out. A draw for us, although not being a “good” result, is still likely to be enough to qualify assuming Belgium beat Tunisia.

They’ll need to go for it at some point & we should pick them off without too many problems.

Yeah I did watch it.

Yeah, I think they are exactly the sort of team England think they'll just turn up and beat and then be really disappointing against. Until they are beat, I don't trust the whatever it is that niggles me about having confidence in England. 

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Yeah I did watch it.

Yeah, I think they are exactly the sort of team England think they'll just turn up and beat and then be really disappointing against. Until they are beat, I don't trust the whatever it is that niggles me about having confidence in England. 

I understand that but you could argue Tunisia is a similar kind of game. Tunisia are a better side but still a game we should expect to win. We started really well and looked like we were going to blow them away, more composure from Lingard and we’d have been 3 up within 15 minutes. It was as good as anything I’ve seen from any team so far at this WC.

Our issues last night came from a series of poor decisions, either from the referee or VAR. We had two calls that were much more blatant the one actually given to them. With better decisions, we could’ve been 3 or even 4 up and all of.a sudden it’s a perfect performance instead of just scraping past.

If we play the same way, there’s no way we shouldn’t beat Panama. Their first game is gone, they have to win if they want to progress. They’re clearly not expected to progress, but that’s no reason for them to just sit back again. FWIW, I think we’ll get a couple then go through the motions and conserve energy for the Belgium game. 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Interesting start to Columbia v Japan

Handball by a Columbian in the box. Penalty (scored) and a the Columbian sent off.

Banzai!

Think he had to go for that handball.. looks like Colombia will try all they can to get it evened out..

We looked fantastic in the opening 30 Minutes - definitely did tire later on in the game, we looked like an organised Unit I thought.

Did anyone see Southgate's reaction to the first goal? after the keeper made the save, you saw him mouth "where's Harry" just before he prodded it into the goal. Makes you think that this sort of scenario has been thought out? 

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Interesting start to Columbia v Japan

Handball by a Columbian in the box. Penalty (scored) and a the Columbian sent off.

Banzai!

Should it have been a straight red though? Didn't look like it was going in, and I thought the rules changed to yellows for denying goal scoring opportunity in the penalty box (as you also get the penalty)

5 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Should it have been a straight red though? Didn't look like it was going in, and I thought the rules changed to yellows for denying goal scoring opportunity in the penalty box (as you also get the penalty)

No yellows are if you commit a foul that results in a penalty while attempting to play the ball (so cynical fouls are still reds).

Handball preventing a goal scoring opportunity is still always a red, in our out of the box.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Antiquated? It's not a fashion parade, its a sport. So rather play a system we don't have the players for and play it averagely? That shows no logic. 

And of course playing 4 at the back to mark one attacker makes plenty of sense, it's called evolution and tactics

Archived