World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, David said:

If he meant it as 'look at you slant eyed scum who I despise', then it's racist.

If he meant it as 'I may not be up to speed with western liberal interpretations of racism, but I like to acknowledge and salute the differences in our equally wonderful cultures', then it's not.

No-one got hurt. Leave the fat druggy cheating dago bitch alone.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

'Careless, reckless or using excessive force'. That's all a matter of opinion. It's what the referee is there for. Or at least that's what they used to be for before VAR.

The whole emphasis of Law 12 is not the result of the tackle but its execution. Winning the ball first does not negate the manner of the challenge.

Sorry Andy that doesn't stack up for me. Nothing in that challenge was careless. The ball was there to win, he won it.

If that's a peno the rules are wrong, and I don't see how the rules say it was.

Anyway. Beer o'clock.

Well done to Iceland. As for Messi’s performance, let’s not forget that Ronaldo was also terrible against them in the euros. The way Iceland play means they have at least 2 or 3 men on the opposition players at all times. Iceland are very underrated defensively, there won’t be another team, aside from Uruguay, who will be as defensively organised as they are. They are like a national team Atletico Madrid, an absolute nightmare to play against.

32 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

This just isn't Messi's day at all.

Messi is very weak mentally, he lets his poor play get to him whereas Ronaldo uses it to motivate himself.

Messi as a player is out of this world but has a poor mental strength

Ronaldo is a very good player but his robot mentally means that he is always in the conversation along with Messi in terms of the greatest of all time. Without this he’d probably be as good as normal world class players like Griezmann, Lewandowski etc but his mentality and strive for success is what separates him and them. 

Put Ronaldo’s mentality in Messi’s body then he would have won many international trophies in my opinion.

Ronaldo’s obsession with Messi is what makes Ronaldo the player he is today. When he was younger he couldn’t even bare to say Messi’s name but he’s matured now(probably helped by the fact that Ronaldo’s son thinks that Messi is better than his dad).

To get back on top, Messi needs to develop mentally but that seems unlikely as he seems to have fallen out of love with the game.

Wasn’t Leo’s or Argentina’s day. Plenty of time to get it right though. It’s all about peaking at the right time.

Great result for Iceland. Bad result for Croatia who may have to beat Iceland now to progress, assuming Argentina beat both Nigeria and Croatia.

Peru woz robbed though. By far the better team (from what I could tell on the radio). 

My wife said she’s never seen them play like that. If they keep it up they might do alright. 

I want Peru to go through, and I quite like the socceroos. Denmark are meh since Laursen stopped playing, and France can duck off. 

So I’m hoping for Australia and Peru to beat Denmark and France respectively, both by at least 2 goals, and then everyone draw there other game. Everyone ends up on 4 pts. Australia and Peru go through on goal difference. 

All is not lost. 

Archived