Matej Vydra - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Waffle said:

Leeds fans seem to believe he will be happy playing left wing

He probably will be on the wages he wants, but he’d get ripped to shreds by their fans. He’s a shadow striker/false 9 type of player, there’s no other position for him. He’s at his best when he’s got a bit of space, so you can play it into his feet and then he can turn and get a shot away. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen him produce a decent cross? 

Love Vydra and he had a brilliant season last year,however it does look like FL as opted for a 4-3-3 system and after what i have seen so far we look a complete different and better  side now.

So in this system there is no place for Vydra and the worry is if we dont get top money for him now come January he will be half the value

Still struggling to comprehend how, after years of crying out for a 20 goal-a-season striker under Clough, we have the Championship’s top scorer nowhere near the first team entirely of our own accord. I think that’s one of many reasons why I call ******** when people suggest we haven’t moved forward since Clough left.

I don’t disagree with our decision to attempt to force Vydra’s sale, and I would probably take anything upward of £10 million (even if it does sting to see the price that others go for). However, if he doesn’t leave, surely it would be worth a try putting him in one of the wide forward positions as competition for Lawrence/Jozefzoon/Wilson/Bennett/etc?

I know he’s been poor whenever he’s played there since joining, but on those occasions he was simply thrown into an underperforming team whilst he himself was incredibly low on confidence. If he really worked hard to get back up to speed with the rest of the boys and put in the graft on the training pitch to learn how to play the position, I could see him being effective at drifting around, picking  the ball up in pockets and doing something special - just as he did on many occasions last season.

I think we as fans become too narrow-minded when we see a player have his best run of form in a specific position under a specific manager and a specific style of play. For example, just because Tom Lawrence looked handy behind the striker for a few games last season doesn’t mean he can’t be a key player for us out wide this term. By all means, his best moments for Ipswich came from the flanks. As another example, this time in terms of the importance of a player suiting a manager’s philosophy and the mood of the team, would you rather see Will Hughes out wide in an exciting, free-flowing Mac 1 team or in the middle of a turgid, hoofball Pearson team. Professional football is far from the linear nature of FIFA 18, and is a deeply complex sport in which the finest margins matter hugely.

I didn’t watch he Watford of a few years back too closely myself, but am I correct in saying that Vydra played in a wider role in that team, and scored a hatload in the process? I don’t think he should be defined by one season with a semi-successful side last year when his previous season was one of huge turmoil in which he played under 3 different managers and was thrown into a multitude of different roles, all whilst a certain thread on here stating that he should never wear the shirt again was supported by some.

He had already been written off by many prior to last season before proving people wrong. I would be wary of making the same mistake again.

6 hours ago, vidukasbox said:

"Please please me Vydra, please don't go to dirty Leeds. Anyone else, West Brom, Stoke, just not them. He'll want to stay now after watching a pre season friendly"

?

I guess the lure of a 'really big club' with the league's 'best manager' hasn't really proved much of a lure at all, huh? Still, even 'really big clubs' have to live within their means. eh?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                On the plus side, you can now brag on having Patty Bouffant Bamford in your line-up. Silver linings....

He is our best goal scorer currently at the club out of all of them and there is no reason what’s so ever why he wouldn’t do very well at the middle of our attack especially the way we are attacking - why are we selling possibly? Well basically we can get a fair bit of money and reduce the wage bill by a chunk and there simply is no other reason 

I genuinely can’t see Vydra moving on now. Leeds got tired of his demands and now have gone elsewhere. We’ve planned on life without him, so he has a lot of graft to put in to force himself into the team. 

I’d not be surprised to see him out of the matchday squad even if he is fit for the first game. Outrageous considering he’s the Championship golden boot holder. 

1 minute ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

We've improved our team and look to be keeping the golden boot winner (unless Boro come in for him to replace Bamford) which is great news, but I really hope this doesn't mean we have to look at selling someone like Lawrence instead to abide by FFP rules

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

He is our best goal scorer currently at the club out of all of them and there is no reason what’s so ever why he wouldn’t do very well at the middle of our attack especially the way we are attacking - why are we selling possibly? Well basically we can get a fair bit of money and reduce the wage bill by a chunk and there simply is no other reason 

Disagree, Vydra was invisible as the lone striker, he is a number 10....

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

I genuinely can’t see Vydra moving on now. Leeds got tired of his demands and now have gone elsewhere. We’ve planned on life without him, so he has a lot of graft to put in to force himself into the team. 

I’d not be surprised to see him out of the matchday squad even if he is fit for the first game. Outrageous considering he’s the Championship golden boot holder. 

We have until the end of August to see if he moves with a view to a permanent transfer in our league and also the several European leagues shut after our window shuts on the 9th and probably some wierd leagues like China 

Going to be interesting to see where he fits in. I would like to see him given another crack as a striker just to see how he does in Frank's system. It didn't work before under Mac but who knows, might be different this time. 

Hope this doesn't mean we're going to get stuffed by ffp. I am however delighted he's not going to end up at Leeds. 

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Invisible under other managers and different personnel alongside him but my point was with this set of players and the way we are playing he could be successful- we have obviously planned to use nugent short term and Bennett occasionally with Marriott expected to force his way in there. Talk of number 9 or number 10 stuff is a nonsense he is a goal scorer and give him the chances and he will put more away than anyone else we own 

6 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Invisible as a lone striker maybe. But he won’t be a lone striker this season. Wilson, Lawrence, mount and Bryson will be buzzing around him. If he stays he will score shedloads again ???

Archived