Jacob Butterfield - my insane prediction

Right since day 1 I have stuck up for Butterfield, I am convinced he has been the victim of derby county managers playing him too deep and stopping him playing to his strengths, which are in the opposition half playing killer balls or shooting.

If we get Lampard in my prediction is we play more attacking football, our midfield will play in the middle of the pitch if not further up and we will finally see why we spunked millions on Butterfield.

Book Mark, so that when we will sell him for 250k to Rotherham you can all laugh at me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Right since day 1 I have stuck up for Butterfield, I am convinced he has been the victim of derby county managers playing him too deep and stopping him playing to his strengths, which are in the opposition half playing killer balls or shooting.

If we get Lampard in my prediction is we play more attacking football, our midfield will play in the middle of the pitch if not further up and we will finally see why we spunked millions on Butterfield.

Book Mark, so that when we will sell him for 250k to Rotherham you can all laugh at me.

Yes, made a diary note. I can recommend CBT, might help....

10 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Entirely agree there's a player there - he's technically good, can score goals & set up goals. Whilst his sideways passing is often ridiculed, there's nothing wrong with retaining possession at certain times. Its a shame we've never seen the best of him & he's said this himself.

Unfortunately, many fans have already written him off & whilst that in itself isn't the end (see Baird's transformation), I don't get the sense Butterfield would relish that challenge. He seems very apathetic (if demeanour & appearances are anything to go by) & from his comments on loan, was keen to leave us. Would be superb management to get him back on track here.

According to Wikipedia you spent £5m on Jacob Butterfield ?

Please tell me that isn't true? 

Was a Norwich reserve player 2 years before that, where he did absolutely nothing in his few cup appearances.... and nothing out on loan... and then went to Middlesbrough where I thought he struggled to keep his place in the side.

Were quite excited to sign him at first but looked pants in his few appearances. Apparently ambidextrous.... looked more like he had two left feet. That's probably being a little bit too harsh, but looked very 'one paced' for a supposed attacking midfielder.... if you haven't got a turn of pace you are probably better suited as a deeper playmaker, but not if you are a complete lightweight. 

Never worked the kid out, was well down the pecking order with us. 

Did he have an amazing season with Huddersfield something before you signed him?

Cant blame Butterfield for his apathetic attitude,most of the squad ended up the same.Being played out of position and given the notion that they are not in the future plans of the club will do that.Hughes ,Bryson,Russell,Keogh etc all had their confidence battered this season.

Lets hope the new man does a better job and the lads want to play for him and us,i feel the cloud has lifted alleluya.

Everyone gets a second chance in my book.

can pass accurately, can control a ball and can shoot. Never looked strong or gritty  enough to me and lacked speed of reaction.

But players develop. If he is in the team we need to give him a lift. Getting on players backs never helps. 

25 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

Did he have an amazing season with Huddersfield something before you signed him?

Believe it was £4 million.

yes, can’t remeber what it was on, but some mag/website had a list of the top 10 midfielders of that championship season, which he made it into. Huddersfield played him as the attacking point of a midfield diamond in a 442, something we nor Wednesday have ever done.

At the right club (eg Huddersfield) given the right role he can flourish.

Awful signing. Seem to remember him saying less than complimentary stuff about Derby before he went to Wednesday, where he also failed and their fans hated him. Needs to be moved on for his good and for our good too. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Awful signing. Seem to remember him saying less than complimentary stuff about Derby before he went to Wednesday, where he also failed and their fans hated him. Needs to be moved on for his good and for our good too. 

Wasn’t it more a dig at Rowett and his style of football? Won’t get much of an argument back to that now.

Just now, jimbo jones said:

Wasn’t it more a dig at Rowett and his style of football? Won’t get much of an argument back to that now.

You're probably right! I don't remember what he said too much, just remembered it being a bit of a parting shot.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

You're probably right! I don't remember what he said too much, just remembered it being a bit of a parting shot.

Yeah, I can’t remember properly, but I’m sure it was something along the lines, he was glad to get out of derby because the style of football didn’t suit him.

wednesdays style didn’t seem to suit him much better...

He has shown plenty of ability for us, mostly under Clement mind. Had a great long range effort and could actually take a corner.

Completely devoid of confidence at the minute, as for any Derby player I hope he can turn it around and do well for us but I dont see how he can get himself out of the confidence crisis.

1 minute ago, Shuff264 said:

He has shown plenty of ability for us, mostly under Clement mind. Had a great long range effort and could actually take a corner.

Completely devoid of confidence at the minute, as for any Derby player I hope he can turn it around and do well for us but I dont see how he can get himself out of the confidence crisis.

Especially as a good number of derby fans would jump on his back after 1 mistake.

if we could find a buyer, it would probably be best all round for him to move. The way the last couple of seasons have gone for him, that’s a big if, unless we let him go for peanuts.

47 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Couldn't agree more. I've said it before but he gave the best midfield performance I've seen at PP by a visiting player when he was with Barnsley and he was only 20/21. Just as with Will Hughes, successive managers have played him far too deeply and his confidence has steadily ebbed away to the point where performances have been ridiculed by many.

I'd be surprised if the Wendies will want to sign him on a permanent basis so unless another club comes in for him he'll be back with us come pre-season. Whoever is appointed, it will be interesting to see whether he can recapture some decent form. He's still only 27 but maybe he might be one of those players who, for whatever reason, falls away when he should be approaching his prime.

In his first season for derby i remmeber him scoring a couple of very good goals and his passing was much more positive.  I dont remmeber him getting much stick either during  Paul clements time in charge. 

It was last season that he seemed to slip into a side ways passing maestro, he must have recieved a call from Paul thirwell.

He does have a pass in him and has good feet from time to time which is why he is annoying and frustrating and gets given stick. He seems like if his attitude and belief was greater he would make a decent champ midfielder.  

But probably time to move on as we arent a forgiving bunch. He would have to score a few screamers and reinvent his game to change opinions. Or work with a manager who knows how to get the most from him, if anyone can. 

38 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

Please tell me that isn't true? 

Was a Norwich reserve player 2 years before that, where he did absolutely nothing in his few cup appearances.... and nothing out on loan... and then went to Middlesbrough where I thought he struggled to keep his place in the side.

Were quite excited to sign him at first but looked pants in his few appearances. Apparently ambidextrous.... looked more like he had two left feet. That's probably being a little bit too harsh, but looked very 'one paced' for a supposed attacking midfielder.... if you haven't got a turn of pace you are probably better suited as a deeper playmaker, but not if you are a complete lightweight. 

Never worked the kid out, was well down the pecking order with us. 

Toward the end of the previous season he wasn't far of averaging an assist a game over the final month or 2 and scored 6 or 7 over the season.  Also turned in a couple of man of the match performances and scored in the first few games of the season before we signed him.

I remember a few teams linked with him close season but nothing came off - we had a couple of key players injured in the first game and him and Johnson were panic buys to replace them. 

£5m wouldn't surprise me, I'm pretty sure they rejected a few bids before they accepted it, and we know we really overpaid for Johnson.

8 minutes ago, Rample said:

£5m wouldn't surprise me, I'm pretty sure they rejected a few bids before they accepted it, and we know we really overpaid for Johnson.

Was a bit odd that one.

Had an amazing season for us as a left midfielder who would break into the box....

.... then you played him as a defensive midfielder just because he looks like he could handle himself in a bar fight.

His passing has always been atrocious, that's why he was moved to the left wing where it wasn't quite as dangerous for him to lose possession (which he constantly did in the middle of the park).

Archived