Lampard too expensive?

Topram

1 hour ago, DCFC1976 said:

Lampard is a pundit tonight for BT isn’t he... he’s bound to get quizzed by them in conversation as to whether he is interested / getting the job?!

Probably tell them not to ask that question beforehand.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, feisty said:

The point is he started at Hartlepools and worked his way up. He didn't start at the club that finished 26th in the football pyramid.

And where were Liverpool when Dalgish took over ? Oh yeah, they were in the Northern Premier League and he took them all the way to the first division didn’t he.

27 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Wonder if Lamps knows whether hes got it or not and annoucement will be made once hes back in the UK.

He will def bring bums on seats. Look at the impact Gerrads had on Rangers season ticket sales.

I accept I'm in a minority but I find the excitement for Lampard baffling. He was a good player for sure.  Excellent in fact. 

But there's absolutely nothing to suggest he's going to be a good (or bad) manager. It would be a complete jump in the dark. There's no reason to think he'd be a better manager than any other ex player with zero coaching experience (Not even managed a youth team). 

On this basis, why not appoint Shaun Barker? Michael Carrick? 

Complete lottery. Maybe that's what Derby fans want. 

I'd rather have someone who has coached previously and knows what the job involves 

Obviously if Lampard DOES get it, he'll have my full support

3 minutes ago, feisty said:

I accept I'm in a minority but I find the excitement for Lampard baffling. He was a good player for sure.  Excellent in fact. 

But there's absolutely nothing to suggest he's going to be a good (or bad) manager. It would be a complete jump in the dark. There's no reason to think he'd be a better manager than any other ex player with zero coaching experience (Not even managed a youth team). 

I'd rather have someone who has coached previously and knows what the job involves 

Your right, there's no sensible reason why we should want Lampard. I just think after Rowett anyone is more interesting. The jump into the unknown is intriguing and who doesn't like a surprise.

it may be a huge let down but most managers are. Some just take longer to be a let down than others.

8 minutes ago, feisty said:

I agree with most of that. I would rather appoint a decent manager with experience. If the choice was Lampard or Mad Mick or say someone like Lambert I would rather take a chance on Frank to be fair.

6 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Your right, there's no sensible reason why we should want Lampard. I just think after Rowett anyone is more interesting. The jump into the unknown is intriguing and who doesn't like a surprise.

it may be a huge let down but most managers are. Some just take longer to be a let down than others.

I think you're spot-on here. Fingers crossed that whoever we get is successful.

The reality of it is that Rowett has screwed us all up and proved that at the interview stage of any appointment the candidate will say what’s necessary to gain a position.

We have now reached a point where knowingly leaping into the unknown is infinitely preferable than believing the absolute crass coming out of the mouths of journey men managers.

My view is take a punt and let’s fly by the seat of our pants and with a little bit of nouse and luck enjoy the journey.

26 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I agree with most of that. I would rather appoint a decent manager with experience. If the choice was Lampard or Mad Mick or say someone like Lambert I would rather take a chance on Frank to be fair.

bang on mate ,lets jump ship on the manager merry go round and try something different

24 minutes ago, Rosythram said:

The reality of it is that Rowett has screwed us all up and proved that at the interview stage of any appointment the candidate will say what’s necessary to gain a position.

We have now reached a point where knowingly leaping into the unknown is infinitely preferable than believing the absolute crass coming out of the mouths of journey men managers.

My view is take a punt and let’s fly by the seat of our pants and with a little bit of nouse and luck enjoy the journey.

as i said above ,spot on

33 minutes ago, feisty said:

That’s a very narrow minded way to look at it. Lampard wants to coach, he comes with a big name and a big career behind him. He’s played in some of the biggest games that football has to offer. 

Out of all the ex players that want to go into management, there’s two that I believe most would want to see do well just for the careers that they’ve had and the many times we’ve watched them do something special that you don’t see many times from English players. 

Gerrard is one and Lampard has to be the other. 

If he is appointed, it might go tits up but only like anybody else that we bring in. It’s the unknown that excites me and also the approach he will take that nobody knows yet. 

I think we should just be happy that somebody like him has even sent his CV in. 

1 hour ago, feisty said:

How much previously coaching, management etc did Eddie Howe have? Didnt play at the top and then into management aged 29 when his career was ended by injury.

Lampard has the respect, the contacts, experience and that winning mentally required to make it to the top. Im sure he will bring a half decent backroom staff with him too.

36 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

That’s a very narrow minded way to look at it. Lampard wants to coach, he comes with a big name and a big career behind him. He’s played in some of the biggest games that football has to offer. 

Out of all the ex players that want to go into management, there’s two that I believe most would want to see do well just for the careers that they’ve had and the many times we’ve watched them do something special that you don’t see many times from English players. 

Gerrard is one and Lampard has to be the other. 

If he is appointed, it might go tits up but only like anybody else that we bring in. It’s the unknown that excites me and also the approach he will take that nobody knows yet. 

I think we should just be happy that somebody like him has even sent his CV in. 

You correctly point out he's a great player.  Doesn't mean it will have any bearing on his coaching abilities.  Some great players are great coaches. Some aren't.  Some average players are great coaches.  Some aren't.  No real correlation. 

You seem to be excited by the complete uncertainty of how he'll have his team play.  I'd rather choose someone who has a track record that excites. It's about opinions. 

I find your final sentence odd. He doesn't have a managerial profile.  So we shouldn't be honoured that 'someone like him' has applied. He's not managerial royalty (he may be player royalty which is different). I'm sure he wouldn't think like that. 

I think you're star struck to be honest. 

14 minutes ago, Papahet said:

How much previously coaching, management etc did Eddie Howe have? Didnt play at the top and then into management aged 29 when his career was ended by injury.

Lampard has the respect, the contacts, experience and that winning mentally required to make it to the top. Im sure he will bring a half decent backroom staff with him too.

I agree some gambles pay off. Some spectacularly so.  A lot don't. 

I don't want to gamble when we're in a delicate state financially o/a FFP and need to make good decisions now more than ever so our hands are not tied in future. 

Others are excited by the gamble. 

We'll probably never agree. Still it'll be interesting if he gets it

8 minutes ago, feisty said:

You correctly point out he's a great player.  Doesn't mean it will have any bearing on his coaching abilities.  Some great players are great coaches. Some aren't.  Some average players are great coaches.  Some aren't.  No real correlation. 

You seem to be excited by the complete uncertainty of how he'll have his team play.  I'd rather choose someone who has a track record that excites. It's about opinions. 

I find your final sentence odd. He doesn't have a managerial profile.  So we shouldn't be honoured that 'someone like him' has applied. He's not managerial royalty (he may be player royalty which is different). I'm sure he wouldn't think like that. 

I think you're star struck to be honest. 

Somebody as high profile as Lampard is attracted to our club, that’s what I’m excited about. 

It’s a heads and tails situation and I do quite like that. There’s plenty of managers who we wouldn’t want so why not go with the unknown. 

I do also appreciate your views 

The only problem with great players or players that have played at a high standard is they could get easily frustrated with lesser quality players. Roy Keane and Paul Imce suffered with this. They are use to a certain quality of player and when it doesn’t materialise they get frustrated. Frank will either be a huge success or ahuge failure. He will not be mediocre. If he is a success then he will envirably get the West Ham job or Chelsea job in a few years. We are just a stepping stone. However if he get# us promoted and playing good football then who cares.

To add my two cents to all these posts.

Any manager joining a new club can sink or swim. There’s no guarantee that even if they have experience of winning matches/gaining promotion/finding some hidden gems from Mozambique that become the next Messi or Salah that they will do the same in every job they take.

Pearson is a recent example for us of an experienced manager coming in with a reputation and it going spectacularly tits up.

I like the idea of us taking a punt into the unknown. I’d rather we gamble by choosing someone high profile than gamble on someone like Shaun Barker too. It makes us more attractive to players who wouldn’t necessarily care about Derby otherwise and someone with the pedigree of Lampard and his list of honours as a player will hopefully add to confidence within the dressing room and help him settle in quickly.

What’s the harm in giving it a go? Worst case scenario can’t leave us in any worse position than Pearson did with the team shape or Clement did with our financials.

My gut feeling is that lampard is one of those people that will succeed at whatever they turn their hands to ,smart ,hard working and determined,,, 

Archived