Liverpool v Real Madrid - Champions League Final

Day

2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I thought I was quite refrained.....?

I didn't even question all the ticketless drunken fans all over the news today........because obviously they never ever go to a game without a ticket...

Touts.

so you wouldn’t go on the off chance there maybe a chance of gaining a ticket if in a couple of years Lampard gets us there? ?.  

I don’t think it’s the first time a group of supporters have travelled to the final with no chance of getting a ticket but just to enjoy the trip, and maybe get a bit drunk.

Or maybe caused a bit of trouble, the press will be praying some scouser knocks over a table, the lenses will be firing ten to the dozen.  Ask @Angry Ram about the press and trips to Europe etc.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, David said:

Given the extra tickets available after flights were cancelled, those without tickets may get one now with the club refunding those who can’t find flights now. 

Every cloud and all that.

pardon the pun.

38 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Touts.

so you wouldn’t go on the off chance there maybe a chance of gaining a ticket if in a couple of years Lampard gets us there? ?.  

I don’t think it’s the first time a group of supporters have travelled to the final with no chance of getting a ticket but just to enjoy the trip, and maybe get a bit drunk.

Or maybe caused a bit of trouble, the press will be praying some scouser knocks over a table, the lenses will be firing ten to the dozen.  Ask @Angry Ram about the press and trips to Europe etc.

I have been to loads of games where I have been drunk and loads of games where I have had no tickets and loads of games where I got in without paying.....and loads of games where I have been drunk, had no ticket and managed to get in without paying...but the difference is I don't mind admitting that....

So much crap is spoken ahead of this final by pundits etc.

I read one earlier that said if Real Madrid win it will confirm their status as the greatest club side in the world in the modern era. I'm sorry, but they've won just two league titles in 10 years... How does that make them the best?

Barcelona on the other hand have won 7. Their Guardiola team is better than this Real Madrid team, by far.

Champions League wins mean nothing. So much crap is spoted about it. It's a seven-game tournament, where of those seven games four or more can come against teams who aren't even top 10 in Europe like Porto and Roma.

And anything can happen. So how does fluking your way through like Chelsea 2012 make you the best?

As for the final, I think Liverpool will win. Real Madrid don't like to be pressed, as shown by the likes of Villarreal, Betis, Barcelona and Spurs this season. Liverpool are at their best when they press like mad. Their front three will exploit the space left by Marcelo, and they'll kill Madrid's defensive players for pace. 

I don't want to say Madrid are overrated. They're clearly a world class team. But Bayern were better, and the only reason they're in a position to win three straight CL titles is due to heavy refereeing favours along the way.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Touts.

Filth mate.  

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

So much crap is spoken ahead of this final by pundits etc.

I read one earlier that said if Real Madrid win it will confirm their status as the greatest club side in the world in the modern era. I'm sorry, but they've won just two league titles in 10 years... How does that make them the best?

Barcelona on the other hand have won 7. Their Guardiola team is better than this Real Madrid team, by far.

Champions League wins mean nothing. So much crap is spoted about it. It's a seven-game tournament, where of those seven games four or more can come against teams who aren't even top 10 in Europe like Porto and Roma.

And anything can happen. So how does fluking your way through like Chelsea 2012 make you the best?

As for the final, I think Liverpool will win. Real Madrid don't like to be pressed, as shown by the likes of Villarreal, Betis, Barcelona and Spurs this season. Liverpool are at their best when they press like mad. Their front three will exploit the space left by Marcelo, and they'll kill Madrid's defensive players for pace. 

I don't want to say Madrid are overrated. They're clearly a world class team. But Bayern were better, and the only reason they're in a position to win three straight CL titles is due to heavy refereeing favours along the way.

On the other hand, Liverpool struggle against teams who are physically strong and counter quickly. Liverpool got hammered 4-1 by Spurs, failed to beat Chelsea or Man Utd over two games, Sevilla in the group stages and Roma in the second leg. And the 5-0 loss against Man City, City overwhelmed Liverpool physically and Pep tried to be too clever in the other games.

Real Madrid have earnt the right to be arrogant having won 3 in the last 4 years whereas Liverpool have done nothing. The English media has been unbearable the past few weeks with some stating that Liverpool will be the greatest British team to win it in the modern era. And let’s not act like Liverpool haven’t had their fair share of lucky refereeing decisions too.

10 minutes ago, McLovin said:

On the other hand, Liverpool struggle against teams who are physically strong and counter quickly. Liverpool got hammered 4-1 by Spurs, failed to beat Chelsea or Man Utd over two games, Sevilla in the group stages and Roma in the second leg. And the 5-0 loss against Man City, City overwhelmed Liverpool physically and Pep tried to be too clever in the other games.

Real Madrid have earnt the right to be arrogant having won 3 in the last 4 years whereas Liverpool have done nothing. The English media has been unbearable the past few weeks with some stating that Liverpool will be the greatest British team to win it in the modern era. And let’s not act like Liverpool haven’t had their fair share of lucky refereeing decisions too.

I just don't get the hype about the Champions League full stop. Both Real Madrid and Liverpool have been fairly average in domestic competition, yet it's being billed as some sort of super final. 

I also think it's rather sad that it's being billed as Ballon d'Or decider. Salah and Ronaldo have both had great campaigns.

But Messi has been better. And he's seemingly totally out of the running because Barcelona aren't in the final, ignoring the other 40+ games of the season in more difficult competitions to focus on a seven-game tournament.

It's all just a big UEFA hype-train. 

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I just don't get the hype about the Champions League full stop. Both Real Madrid and Liverpool have been fairly average in domestic competition, yet it's being billed as some sort of super final. 

I also think it's rather sad that it's being billed as Ballon d'Or decider. Salah and Ronaldo have both had great campaigns.

But Messi has been better. And he's seemingly totally out of the running because Barcelona aren't in the final, ignoring the other 40+ games of the season in more difficult competitions to focus on a seven-game tournament.

It's all just a big UEFA hype-train. 

That I do agree you with. I do think Real Madrid deserve to win it with their much harder run in though.

I just hope Madrid win as for me, they are the lesser of the two evils and these ex Liverpool pundits need a reality check. John Aldridge said that Kroos is only slightly a better player than Henderson, whilst mark Lawrenson believes Henderson is better than Casemiro and Isco. They deserve to lose just for their fans and pundits being so ignorant.

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That I do agree you with. I do think Real Madrid deserve to win it with their much harder run in though.

I just hope Madrid win as for me, they are the lesser of the two evils and these ex Liverpool pundits need a reality check. John Aldridge said that Kroos is only slightly a better player than Henderson, whilst mark Lawrenson believes Henderson is better than Casemiro and Isco. They deserve to lose just for their fans and pundits being so ignorant.

It's a pity both can't lose.

Madrid have definitely had the harder run to the final, but they've been so lucky on the way it grates me. They were largely second best in the PSG home game yet they were let off the hook by several misses by Cavani and Neymar while Madrid were awarded a dubious penalty. In the 2nd leg, PSG's attempts were gone after the sending off.

In the Juve games, yet more sending offs and dubious penalties.

In the Bayern tie, they were rubbish in Munich and largely battered at home. But again they got away with some dodgy decisions, notably when Bayern had two clear penalties ruled away. 

It seems to happen every game. I can't remember the last Madrid CL knockout game where the opposition either didn't get a man sent off, or weren't denied a blatant penalty, or when Madrid weren't awarded a dubious one.

35 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Because it's the only tournament where you get to compete against all the best teams from all over Europe rather than just teams from your own country.  It's a wonderful tournament in my opinion.

Yes, Real Madrid have been lucky in recent years (and Bayern particularly unlucky, but that's the way football goes a lot of the time. 

It's also true that a team shouldn't claim to be the best team in Europe just by winning the Champions League, clearly if you can't win your own league then you are not the undisputed 'best team in Europe'.  But TV stations want to hype everything, so it's inevitable that pundits will make those sort of claims.

The Champions League should be enjoyed for what it is, just a cup competition, last one standing wins. 

3 minutes ago, Highgate said:

It's also true that a team shouldn't claim to be the best team in Europe just by winning the Champions Leagu

This applies to all cup competitions. People should stop trying to read too much into events held over a short course... if it were held over 10,000 games everybody plays everybody then it might actually mean something. Otherwise just enjoy it for what it is, 2 of the best attacking sides up against each other for a trophy. C'mon Liverpool.

26 minutes ago, Carnero said:

This applies to all cup competitions. People should stop trying to read too much into events held over a short course... if it were held over 10,000 games everybody plays everybody then it might actually mean something. Otherwise just enjoy it for what it is, 2 of the best attacking sides up against each other for a trophy. C'mon Liverpool.

Absolutely right.  C'mon..... actually I don't care who wins, but I'll be watching nonetheless, could be a great game.

Agree with the sentiment that neither are particularly great. But we live in an era where hype is often greater than reality so the billing this game has received is inevitable.

I hope they both lose.

Ramos does not deserve one Champions League title let alone four, Marcelo is the biggest **** in world football, Zidane is probably not a great manager, yet will join a highly select group if he wins a third European title.  Franco, financial doping and an awful manner of playing the game further earn Royal Madrid my distain.

Then there's Liverpool.

The media wankfest before they've even won it is bad enough, there's that weird expectation of supporting the English team in Europe to rail against, Jordan flipping Henderson potentially being a European Cup winner, YNWA, special European night, stories of people with no sense of personal logistics chosing to take 4 days to travel to Kiev just to try to add weight to the 'best supporters in the world' tag.

Hopefully it's a good game with no diving and no unjust refereeing decisions... 

Archived