Ram of Steel

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Wait til the Twitter massive start. 

"We're skint! Mel wants out asap!!!!"

Already did, this morning.

Totally bizarre that FFP doesn’t register at all with some people. Or that they simply believe we should stick the middle finger up because QPR did. 

No significant investment has been passed on and now it’s no investment. Chinese whispers right there. 

It’s going to be a long summer.

1 minute ago, David said:

Already did, this morning.

Totally bizarre that FFP doesn’t register at all with some people. Or that they simply believe we should stick the middle finger up because QPR did. 

No significant investment has been passed on and now it’s no investment. Chinese whispers right there. 

It’s going to be a long summer.

Just wait till the threads start! ''When is our first signing going to be?'' ''Our rivals are spending more money than us''.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Just wait till the threads start! ''When is our first signing going to be?'' ''Our rivals are spending more money than us''.

Windows been open since Thursday, think it’s gone under the radar a little. I expect widespread confusion when it closes before a ball is kicked

3 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Any chance we are putting the story out there that we’ve got no money to spend because we’re actually trying to prevent ourselves from getting priced out of every player we try to buy?

Wishful thinking, perhaps 

I was hoping that also but now Rowett's left I'm not so sure

7 hours ago, Ram of Steel said:

I'm really struggling to see how we are suddenly unable to spend money because of FFP risks. Yes we've spent a considerable amount since 15/16 season but we have also commanded some relatively high transfer fees ourselves for players, most of which at a good profit. Off the top of my head - Hendrick £10m, Ince £11m, Hughes £8-9m, Christie £2.75m + Martin loan fee & Grant £1m?

I don't know a great deal about FFP, I know it works in cycles and that transfer fees are spread out over the length of the player's contract, and of course we have a high wage bill but when you consider that we will be getting high earners off of that wage bill this summer such as Bent, Shackell, Baird? And potentially Martin. Along with the potential of bringing in around £15m if we decide to sell Vydra and the further reduction in wages that will bring, then why are we suddenly unable to spend to the extent where the manager decides to leave? Worried about having to reduce the wage bill further and a lack of ambition. 

What has changed since just a few months ago when we were bidding £6m for the likes of James McClean?

Wage bill for starters is horrific.

19 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

The wages alone have gone from less than ten million in 2013 to thirty five million last season.

Where has the money gone? Probably an extra 60-75 million over five years?

You're comparing a players' wage bill ( though I'd put it at less than £9m) to a total wage bill there Ronnie, but the essence of your point is still valid. I always used to work on the basis of 'other' wages being £3m-£4m in the Clough days, but now I haven't got a clue. Whilst general commercial (and possibly catering) revenues have risen impressively, you never see the cost of this. We may have expanded certain staffs, and there's also the possibility that performance related bonuses may have been paid. We'll start to see RamsTV revenues hit the accounts, but we won't be able to identify the associated wage costs.

11 hours ago, loweman2 said:

IMG_3533.thumb.JPG.76a2c8c4d52097ced0030e02b85e3b74.JPG

It amuses me to think that some were saying at the time that we'd have been paying bigger fees without Sam's great negotiating skills.

6 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

****ing hell, who let Boy George into PP? ?

That's Boy Sam. ' Karma karma karma karma karma fiduciary. You come and go, you come and go'. 

Just now, ramblur said:

That's Boy Sam. ' Karma karma karma karma karma fiduciary. You come and go, you come and go'. 

Just so you know, that's not just a figurative laughing emoji mate, there was proper belly laughing and tears involved. ??

4 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Just so you know, that's not just a figurative laughing emoji mate, there was proper belly laughing and tears involved. ??

Feck it, hope I can't get done for plagiarism.

It’s both FFP and probably the fact Mel has had enough of ploughing millions into the club for little return.

This is a culmination of horrendous transfer business over the past 3 seasons, the majority of the damage done under Clement’s watch (although he might have not had much say). This combined with sacking managers. The Mac 1 squad only needed tweaking, the players were out there - it needed the right managerial appointment to build on  Mac and Clough. We went for Clement, spent a fortune signings players with no plan about how we were going to use them. This profligacy made the team worse in ability, raised the squad age and the wage bill doubled. 

Despite this we’ve still managed to make the playoffs twice but not been good enough to get over the line. No one wants our average and aging players, they don’t want to leave as they won’t receive the same pay day anywhere else, so we’re forced to sell our best players to comply with FFP, which if you get promoted you can escape with a fine, if you don’t it can land you with a transfer embargo - exactly what happened to the red dogs after Billy and Fawaz’s spending. It’s taken forest 4 years of nothing and near relegation to get over it.

We went for it to compete with the teams with parachute payments, got it wrong and now we’re paying the price. The worst thing is the parachute payments are getting bigger and bigger making it more difficult to compete! We were the only team in the top 6 this season without parachute payments, how long before all the top 6 are recently relegated clubs with parachute payments.

This was a difficult job for Rowett, it’s going to be equally tough for whoever comes in. People scoff at the style of football or the ambition but it might need a Nigel Clough or a Mick McCarthy for a couple of seasons just to lean out the whole club to enable us to rebuild in a sustainable way.

Archived