Who is the best support band you have ever seen live?

4 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I don't care what you lot say, Urban Hymns was boss.

Yeh it was brilliant. Never said otherwise.

I was (and still am) hugely into dance (I had a record shop selling vinyl) and half of that was sampling and flat out stealing, but they tend to admit it.

And I mentioned Weller, but he totally tipped of  'Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag' by Pigbag for Precious and 'Tax Man' by The Beatles for Start, I still like all 4.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
14 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Queen, Wembley Stadium, Friday 11 July 1986.

Status Quo were the support band. I saw Queen but not Quo as I couldnt get out of work any earlier.

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

That would have been a good answer to the question "if you had been born 30 years earlier, what gig would you have gone to on your 16th bday and come out the closet at?"

Are you naturally homophobic, or do you have to practice? Idiot.

3 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Are you naturally homophobic, or do you have to practice? Idiot.

There is nothing wrong with been gay, not sure why you seem upset at the suggestion. Queen must have been a real positive for gay men back in the day, especially ones who felt they had to hide their sexuality.

You should have been more fed up with my suggestion that you were only 18. From your many posts on Gary Rowett this season, I thought you were maybe 15, but the maths was easier if I implied you were 18.

8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

There is nothing wrong with been gay, not sure why you seem upset at the suggestion. Queen must have been a real positive for gay men back in the day, especially ones who felt they had to hide their sexuality.

You should have been more fed up with my suggestion that you were only 18. From your many posts on Gary Rowett this season, I thought you were maybe 15, but the maths was easier if I implied you were 18.

Keep digging..and try and get you facts right.

58 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Top 3 in no order....

Trashcan Sinatra’s supporting They Might Be Giants at Sheffield poly in about 1990...

Stereo Mc’s supporting EMF at he leadmill around the same time. 

Saxon supporting Judas Priest this year  

Saw The Jam at Sheffield Poly and a huge fight kicked off between skinheads and mods.

Then saw Icicle Works at the Leadmill in the mid 80's.

Did you ever get to The Limit? An underground tiny club behind the City Hall. I saw Skids there about 1978. 

I can't remember the bands name. I was on a ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm. It was in the 90's and the Three Tenors had made it big.

The knock offs were everywhere. On the ferry was some eastern European cover band as a house band. On the boat was a Spanish group that had three guys and a lady traveling to meet their friends in Stockholm. The boat crew arranged them to perform a 45 minute set. They were pretty good all of them but everytime this one dude started to sing the crowd went wild.

The next day as we were returning this group was also coming back. This time they were booked to perform two 45 minute sets. Everytime this one dude started to sing the crowd got even wilder than the previous night. The group had also arranged to extra solos for him.

It was great. A small space was roaring. You could also see how happy this dude was for being so well received. When they finished they had to return three times. The group told the audience they really had to stop because they had no more numbers and they were not supposed to perform anyway. They thanked the audience for being so wonderful towards them and left.

Right after they left the main band got on the stage and got fierce booing. Poor blokes got almost lynched. It was funny as hell.

The Spanish group was nice though.

Was hoping to do a top five, but struggling for a fifth...

British Sea Power supporting The Strokes at Ally Pally. Dreadful venue but Americans presumably keep booking it because they think it's actually a palace. 

These New Puritans supporting Crystal Castles at Goldsmiths. Very cool gig. 

Palma Violets supporting The Vaccines at the Brixton Academy. 

Kings of Leon supporting U2 for a CD:UK prerecord at the Riverside Studios! 

Archived