The Kasey Palmer Situation

Parsnip

If there's one thing we have achieved this season, it's that we've sent out a very clear message to all the top Premier league clubs that this is not the place to send your exciting, creative young players for development.

I was buzzing when we got him on deadline day but Kasey Palmer has sat and watched all season while Lawrence is relentlessly selected regardless of form.

How has Kasey Palmer benefited from his time here? How have we benefited? Does Lookman feel like he's dodged a bullet? 

The fact that Palmer, along with the likes of Hughes, is not a 'Derby Type' player is the hardest thing to accept from my point of view.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

The fact that Palmer, along with the likes of Hughes, is not a 'Derby Type' player is the hardest thing to accept from my point of view.

Hughes should have been our 'arry Kane. He's 'one of our own'. 

110% agree with this. And I cant understand why, because he is better than what we've got. The whole Vydra and Palmer cant play together is a load of b*llocks. They came on yesterday and caused some problems. nothing wrong with having to flair creative players in the team at all.

Tommy smith said on sky we needed a creative midfielder we had one on the bench he's not been given enough game time chelsea will want him playing more and loan him to a club that will play him - if he's been injured fair enough but in that case why is he on the bench. 

34 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Owen Bradley posted on Twitter late last night that Kasey has been nursing a knee injury during his whole time here.

Then that highlights the limited nature of our transfer market dealings.

Yup. I think this is the main criticism I have. We just haven't seen anywhere near enough of him. If I were him I wouldn't have even bothered getting on the team bus back from Fulham, just cross town back home. 

He must regret having signed for us as he's just wasted several months sitting on the bench watching inferior players get selected week after week after week.

All because he isn't "defensive enough". Very poor.

3 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Owen Bradley posted on Twitter late last night that Kasey has been nursing a knee injury during his whole time here.

It had to be something like that, but the fans always but always know better.

What gets me is that even after you posted that, we have had the usual suspects moaning!

3 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Was he? I didn't know that.

The last thing I heard Gary say about it was that he couldn't possibly play him in any other position but #10, and he couldn't drop Vyds. Then he dropped Vyds.

3 hours ago, Parsnip said:

If there's one thing we have achieved this season, it's that we've sent out a very clear message to all the top Premier league clubs that this is not the place to send your exciting, creative young players for development.

I was buzzing when we got him on deadline day but Kasey Palmer has sat and watched all season while Lawrence is relentlessly selected regardless of form.

How has Kasey Palmer benefited from his time here? How have we benefited? Does Lookman feel like he's dodged a bullet? 

It's a fair comment really. I suppose other managers might have tried to string him along and tell him that he had a future here but I guess it's to GR's credit that their conversation was frank and to the club's credit that they didn't stand in Will's way and wait for a fatter fee. Whether it was the right call, I don't know but once Will decided to go, there was little point in trying to stop him. Worse still, I'd imagine Will's worth 4 to 5 times what we received already, but much of his improvement is, I suspect ,down to having better players around him as much as the coaching staff at Watford. Hopefully we have some kind of sell on clause. Optimist that I am, I also wonder whether we might not see him back at the club at some point in time. Maybe Watford and Derby will meet going in opposite directions one year, you never know.

As for Kasey, I got mugged off for giving him a big up when he joined but my lad's Chelsea and trained with their youth teams as a nipper and he's got a good inside track on their younger players - the word was really positive about Kasey and I highlighted the fact that the Chelsea brains were saying he could play anywhere across the midfield or forward line - really adaptable. It's a shame therefore that it seems to have been an either or scenario with him, initially with Vyds and then with young Tom. Much as I love Andi Weimann's work ethic, he doesn't really seem to have the quality to hurt teams in the final third. Pains me to say it but maybe he was the one who should have made way as I think Tom remains a player of great promise and has a longer-term future at the club than Andi. Worse still, I can't see Kasey extending his stay.

I think the same argument extends to the youth players who've not had a look-in this season. I can't claim to have seen enough of them to be dogmatic about it but there were surely games we could have had a look at them? I was a bit crestfallen to see Elsnik and Lowe shipped out on season long loans as we've seen a bit of both in the first team already and they seem to have the technical prowess and quality that some of the seniors apparently lack. I think GR saw this season as being a dogfight (he was right!) and maybe that was the thinking but you gotta think that we need to look at them along with the likes of Bogle and Thomas. I'm probably being a soppy **** but I'd be gutted if Luke went to the Hammers without ever getting a proper run at Derby. Not sure what that would say about the value of the academy either to be honest. Who'd be a manager, huh?

5 hours ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Sdaly, Hughes had to leave Derby to fulfil his potential, because we couldn't provide him with the platform to play at the highest level which he is clearly capable of doing. Had Derby gone up in recent seasons, I suspect Hughes may have stayed as a local boy who clearly loves the club.

He was born in Weybridge.. Surrey lad.

Pretty sure the tweet said he thinks that he had a knee problem, unless I have missed it, which could be the case, there has been no official confirmation of this.  

I’d also be surprised if true, that Chelsea would let him play with an injury if it had any potential impact on his long term career.

Archived