The rebuild starts:

clarkeram7

I think all the Rowett haters will be in for a bumper season 2018-19. They will love it as I think next season will be very difficult for Derby and Rowett. I think there are about 12 members of the current squad who's contracts run out in 2019 and a further 4/5 that run to 2020 - so when we say the rebuild begins - how ??  How do you get rid of most of those ageing players who are on high salaries?? Some out on loans maybe but I don't see much change until the end of next year. If Mel is not investing then Vydra must be sold - he is probably our only saleable asset of note - to create some funds for fresh blood but changing the system/ style of football is going to be very difficult in the short term, hence a field day for the Rowett haters !!

2018-19 a difficult season I think.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The teams coming down arent great- and there will be no (hopefully) team buying the CC like Wolves did

I think Boro will win the league next year (as I think they will back Pulis, who is a good manager) and then its anyones for that second spot

WBA- Will do well if they keep Moore, but have lots of average players

Stoke- Mass rebuilding, selling and buying, need a new manager ect, even if they end up doing well, theyll struggle for the first few months

Swansea- garbage players apart from Mawson and Clucas,  honestly nothing to be scared off

Villa cant spend as much next year (assuming Fulham beat them in the finals), and lets be honest, the teams below us are nothing special. We are probably one of the few teams that dont rely on one player (I dont think we rely on Vydra as much as people think).

Jerome can easily get 10-15 next year and I think Lawrence will have a much better second season (He definately has the talent, just needs the composure). If we can add one good striker and winger, we will be golden. 

1 minute ago, GeneralRam said:

Every year we say it's a bloody rebuild.

Maybe if we stuck by a manager for more than 12 months we might get to start tweaking.

We just need a few tweaks, no need to tear down the shed and start again,

We all know what ******* us, Winalls injury, russell leaving, and us not being able to get a winger or a striker to replace them (Jerome was awful when he first came)

I know Rowett likes his tight-knit squad, but the lack of depth hurt us this season, particularly in our bad run. It's all a bit of fun to throw ideas out on potential targets, so here's my shopping list for next season. Get some of these in please Gary 

GK - 

CB - Lindsay, Souttar, Odarabioyo (loan), Tuanzebe (loan), Flint, Bartley

RWB - Tavernier, Byram, Yiadom, Aina (loan), Odubajo (out of contract)

LWB - Brad Smith, Charlie Taylor, Antonee Robinson (loan), Max Clark (out of contract), Knudsen

CM - Mount (loan), Windass, Kamara, Woods, Luongo, Saville, Honeyman

RW/LW - Brandon Barker (loan), Marcus Maddison, Celina (loan), N'Koudou (loan), Marshall, McGeouch (out of contract)

ST - Winall, Marriot, Abraham (loan), Woodburn (loan), Brewster (loan), Eisa, Wells, Abel Hernandez (out of contract)

4 minutes ago, Bazal77 said:

his squad needs more than a few tweaks 

Not really, we finished 6th with the current players and an awful awful January Market 

We had too many draws in February and thats where we lost ground on Automatics 

Remember, a full pre season would do players like Ledley and Jerome wonders, absolute wonders. If we can do our business early this time, we will have a good start whilst relegated teams take a dozen games or so for their new players to gel

2 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I know Rowett likes his tight-knit squad, but the lack of depth hurt us this season, particularly in our bad run. It's all a bit of fun to throw ideas out on potential targets, so here's my shopping list for next season. Get some of these in please Gary 

GK - 

CB - Lindsay, Souttar, Odarabioyo (loan), Tuanzebe (loan), Flint, Bartley

RWB - Tavernier, Byram, Yiadom, Aina (loan), Odubajo (out of contract)

LWB - Brad Smith, Charlie Taylor, Antonee Robinson (loan), Max Clark (out of contract), Knudsen

CM - Mount (loan), Windass, Kamara, Woods, Luongo, Saville, Honeyman

RW/LW - Brandon Barker (loan), Marcus Maddison, Celina (loan), N'Koudou (loan), Marshall, McGeouch (out of contract)

ST - Winall, Marriot, Abraham (loan), Woodburn (loan), Brewster (loan), Eisa, Wells, Abel Hernandez (out of contract)

CB is the last area we need to be honest if we keep pearce. We need a LB though

6 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Not really, we finished 6th with the current players and an awful awful January Market 

We had too many draws in February and thats where we lost ground on Automatics 

Remember, a full pre season would do players like Ledley and Jerome wonders, absolute wonders. If we can do our business early this time, we will have a good start whilst relegated teams take a dozen games or so for their new players to gel

i really hope we are not relying on jerome for our goals next season. 

we need new left back and right back 

we need a centre midfielder who can run 

we need attacking midfielders who arent workman like 

we need a prolific striker

the concern was we had all of these and they were shipped out the club (aside from left back and right back) 

2 minutes ago, Bazal77 said:

i really hope we are not relying on jerome for our goals next season. 

we need new left back and right back 

we need a centre midfielder who can run 

we need attacking midfielders who arent workman like 

we need a prolific striker

the concern was we had all of these and they were shipped out the club (aside from left back and right back) 

Think Wisdom is fine, solid enough

Agree, new CM would be good but with Johnson, Hudders, Thorne and Ledley, not essential, we just need to get the combination right

A new AM/Winger and  a new striker and a LB top 3 AIMS

Sorry to throw a giant size spanner into this but didnt Mel Morris clearly state on RD a few weeks back that " there would be no spend in summer if we dont get promoted and THIS LOT will have to do the job"!! 

Did I dream he said that? Im sure I didnt...

5 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

He will be in the Prem next season, what we need to do is get the likes of Maddison whilst they are at the Coventrys of this world, our recruitment is dreadful

Even better recruit their academy scout. They've had loads of good players coming through in recent years maddison and Calum Wilson to name just 2. For all the millions spunked into our academy the results have been very poor 

No messing about this summer, get straight on with it. No waiting till August, shift what you can and bring in some youth ! 

21 minutes ago, timmo said:

Even better recruit their academy scout. They've had loads of good players coming through in recent years maddison and Calum Wilson to name just 2. For all the millions spunked into our academy the results have been very poor 

Agree totally and our overseas recruitment is non existent, shake up needed to allow us to compete especially with the threat of little investment hanging over us.

10 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

People keep picking out Lowe as the next big thing. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but he hasn't got in Shrewsbury's side since he's gone there.

And he's made of quavers. 

kane didn't get in the Leicester team very often either

Archived