I hope he starts Vydra

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/05/2018 at 08:55, angieram said:

You don't think Fulham fans would take Curtis Davies or Richard Keogh? Davies in particular had one of the most dominant defensive performances I've witnessed this season last night.

I agree about Vydra though.

I thought Davies was excellent and am in agreement with your assessment with the exception of the first 5 minutes of the second half where all our defenders came out asleep and Fulham should have scored 1 and possibly 2 without having to play great football. Keogh has been a fantastic servant of the club but I don’t think they would improve Fulham. 

On 12/05/2018 at 08:16, irobinson said:

he'll be on the bench Monday. We need Anya in this role and need to keep it tight.

Vydra was pretty ineffective in this role

We will spend a long time at Fulham without the ball also and tracking the wingers

Yes Vydra's performance on Friday vindicated Rowetts preference to use him as an impact sub. Doubt Vydra  will be happy about it. Be intriguing to see what happens if other clubs show interest in the summer. 

On 12/05/2018 at 10:38, Wolfie20 said:

To say Weimann "runs around a lot" is doing him a huge disservice . Agreed his final pass isn't his greatest asset but he's the best we have at pressurising defenders and keepers into making hurried clearances, which in turn spurs the crowd into more vocal support. His energy levels are second to none - oh, did you miss the major part he played leading up to the goal?

I agree, mate.

Weimann is one of those players who makes things happen, he may not score alot himself, or even get all the

assist's, but his pace means he can pull people out of formation, he definitely panics defences and starts things off.

Its exciting when he's galloping down the sidelines, anything can happen!

It’s kind of interesting this thread in terms of there appears to be a growing trust in rowett picking the team , there’s less wtf is he thinking (myself included on the vydra/Palmer ones). 

I think he must play Vydra again. For 3 reasons, firstly even if he has a quiet game he attracts defenders giving others more space. Secondly it gives the team a great balance of attacking and defensive ability. Lastly, chances are going to be limited tonight. If there’s one bloke in this league who I would want on the end of chance from the edge of the box, it’s Vydra 

9 hours ago, europia said:

Yes Vydra's performance on Friday vindicated Rowetts preference to use him as an impact sub. Doubt Vydra  will be happy about it. Be intriguing to see what happens if other clubs show interest in the summer. 

Vydra will always be ineffective in the the formation used on Friday, it’s a horrible negative formation that doesn’t suit his style of play at all.  Seems strange that you set your team up that doesn’t utilise your top scorers strengths.

Time will tell if he is right or not.

Don't think we can start with Vydra. His defensive work in the first leg was non-existent and I can see Fulham carrying even more of a threat in our half than was the case on Friday so shore things up even more in midfield. Anya to LWB, moving Weimann further forward.

Having said what I would do, Vydra will start, score an early goal out of nothing and the pressure and nervousness will just evaporate.

28 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Don't think we can start with Vydra. His defensive work in the first leg was non-existent and I can see Fulham carrying even more of a threat in our half than was the case on Friday so shore things up even more in midfield. Anya to LWB, moving Weimann further forward.

Having said what I would do, Vydra will start, score an early goal out of nothing and the pressure and nervousness will just evaporate.

Could be not do a straight swap...Palmer for Vyds ? I like Weimann in that WB possession. I've seen enough of Palmer to know that he is clever and good enough to keep the ball.

2 hours ago, AdamRam said:

Vydra will always be ineffective in the the formation used on Friday, it’s a horrible negative formation that doesn’t suit his style of play at all.  Seems strange that you set your team up that doesn’t utilise your top scorers strengths.

Not when you set yourself up to prevent a team that has scored in every single game since mid-December from scoring in your goal, and in the process win the game. Seems to make perfect sense to me. Tactically Rowett got it absolutely spot on on Friday. 

12 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Not when you set yourself up to prevent a team that has scored in every single game since mid-December from scoring in your goal, and in the process win the game. Seems to make perfect sense to me. Tactically Rowett got it absolutely spot on on Friday. 

He has used this system though for several games now though and my post was more around Vydra and his effectiveness or lack of it, not so much Fridays result.

3 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

It will be an interesting selection tonight, I tend to agree that dropping Vydra to the bench, Weimann back to wide right and Anya as LWB would seem logical.

I know dropping your top scorer doesn't sound logical, its just in the improved "team formation" I don't think Vydra contributes enough.

Also, if the formation doesn't seem to be working out, he would be a strong sub.

Anya each time I see him, seems to put in a great shift, makes things happen, there must be a reason Rowett doesn't give him more game time, I'm just buggered if I know why?

10 hours ago, AdamRam said:

We've based our whole season on setting the team up to get the best out of Vydra, now you're saying that the system doesn't suit him? 

He can't score when he's played as a striker, so I'd love to know what you think his best position is?

31 minutes ago, curb said:

We've based our whole season on setting the team up to get the best out of Vydra, now you're saying that the system doesn't suit him? 

He can't score when he's played as a striker, so I'd love to know what you think his best position is?

You know we changed system recently don’t you?

Archived