I hope he starts Vydra

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well maybe Vyds should have started afterall.

He was absolutely appalling in the first leg. Starting him on the bench is something you can't hold against Rowett I'm afraid.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

He was absolutely appalling in the first leg. Starting him on the bench is something you can't hold against Rowett I'm afraid.

He wasn't great in the first leg but then playing him in left mid isn't a good idea either.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He wasn't great in the first leg but then playing him in left mid isn't a good idea either.

He didn't play left mid though did he. He played on the left side behind the striker, which is a minimal change to where he's been playing all season. Please Roy, stop it.

21 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

He didn't play left mid though did he. He played on the left side behind the striker, which is a minimal change to where he's been playing all season. Please Roy, stop it.

He hardly got over the half-way line. Who's fault is that? Fook knows how he scored so many goals!

5 hours ago, AdamRam said:

You know we changed system recently don’t you?

Aah, so are you saying the new system where he plays behind the striker doesn't suit him, or the old system where he plays behind the striker?

6 hours ago, curb said:

Aah, so are you saying the new system where he plays behind the striker doesn't suit him, or the old system where he plays behind the striker?

The formation that more often than not results in him being on the bench.

14 minutes ago, curb said:

The reason he was on the bench was because of a number of awful disinterested performances, nothing to do with what system we play. 

Why do you think that is? He's Golden Boot, why be disinterested?

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't know, maybe it's because he thinks he's above doing all the hard work a midfielder cum striker has to do, now he's proved he can score.

Maybe he doesn't like the style of football we play where the attackers hardly touch the ball for hours on end.

We can only speculate.

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Because rowett is manager ? Because mel is owner? Because he’s not Chris Martin ? Because the fans are disenchanted ? Could go on but there’s a few for you to get your teeth into

1 hour ago, curb said:

The reason he was on the bench was because of a number of awful disinterested performances, nothing to do with what system we play. 

Sorry can’t agree with that, we play a system that encourages the opponent to have the ball, he therefore spends the majority of his time running after it, closing players down and doing things that are expected of him that aren’t his strengths.

The same reason why Hughes was on the bench, they are not Rowett type players, they thrive with the ball at their feet and need to be on the front foot to be effective, the change of system required Vydra to run even more then the old formation.  Putting Weimann in the team ahead of Vydra tells you all you need to know about the managers mentality, preferring a player who runs about all day with little end product however is more effective off the ball, compared to one that has the ability to win matches however is more effective with the ball.

22 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Roy............Stop going on for goodness sake you are driving me demented!!

Don't read what AdamRam has put then. 

I imagine you're hoping that by the start of next season there will have been a miraculous transformation of manager and squad and we'll be off to the Promised Land? ?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't read what AdamRam has put then. 

I imagine you're hoping that by the start of next season there will have been a miraculous transformation of manager and squad and we'll be off to the Promised Land? ?

No of course not. Like you I am bitterly disappointed but I want time to reflect with fellow Rams. You are just figuratively constantly jabbing a stick in my ribs!

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

No of course not. Like you I am bitterly disappointed but I want time to reflect with fellow Rams. You are just figuratively constantly jabbing a stick in my ribs!

Why should you need time to reflect - this has been how it is all season, except for when it was worse. ?

If Rowett couldn't afford young, hungry players last season how is he going to afford (and attract) them next?

20 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Sorry can’t agree with that, we play a system that encourages the opponent to have the ball, he therefore spends the majority of his time running after it, closing players down and doing things that are expected of him that aren’t his strengths.

The same reason why Hughes was on the bench, they are not Rowett type players, they thrive with the ball at their feet and need to be on the front foot to be effective, the change of system required Vydra to run even more then the old formation.  Putting Weimann in the team ahead of Vydra tells you all you need to know about the managers mentality, preferring a player who runs about all day with little end product however is more effective off the ball, compared to one that has the ability to win matches however is more effective with the ball.

You're talking about the style of football we play, rather than the system, the system change to three at the back didn't change Vydra's role, or the fact that he looked disinterested when things started to go against us.

I agree that it probably wore him down having to do all that running and chasing back, but we tried him as a striker and he didn't score hardly any last season.

Rowett said at one of the fan forums that he was playing him behind the main striker because he picks the ball up deeper, and can get in the pockets of space between the defence and attack, which is why he's scored so many.

Unfortunately for him (and us), if he's going to play in a forward midfield role he's going to have to do the hard work expected of a player in that position, which is where it all falls down, because he hasn't got the mentality to do it.

What is confusing about your post is you seem to think he's good with the ball at his feet, he isn't really is he? If he gets chance and manages to do his little turn he'll run at defences, but he's not a footballer like Hughes or Cairney, or even Palmer, players always looking to get on the ball and pull strings, Vydra's only interested in getting himself into positions.

13 minutes ago, curb said:

You're talking about the style of football we play, rather than the system, the system change to three at the back didn't change Vydra's role, or the fact that he looked disinterested when things started to go against us.

I agree that it probably wore him down having to do all that running and chasing back, but we tried him as a striker and he didn't score hardly any last season.

Rowett said at one of the fan forums that he was playing him behind the main striker because he picks the ball up deeper, and can get in the pockets of space between the defence and attack, which is why he's scored so many.

Unfortunately for him (and us), if he's going to play in a forward midfield role he's going to have to do the hard work expected of a player in that position, which is where it all falls down, because he hasn't got the mentality to do it.

What is confusing about your post is you seem to think he's good with the ball at his feet, he isn't really is he? If he gets chance and manages to do his little turn he'll run at defences, but he's not a footballer like Hughes or Cairney, or even Palmer, players always looking to get on the ball and pull strings, Vydra's only interested in getting himself into positions.

You don’t have to be a Hughes or Cariney to be good on the ball, he likes the ball to feet, he can play one twos around the box, no he is never going to control the game, but he can influence it, but to do so he needs players around him and also the ball.  I’d still say the change in formation also had an impact, going to a back 5 meant we had 7 defensive players, and only three that meant it was a lot easier to defend against, Vydra couldn’t drop into them spaces anymore you mention as we started to play a lot more into the channels.  

We sacrificed our limited attacking intent, and Vyrda suffered as the result of this, we played better in the first half against Fulham with him in the team, because he is a threat, without him last night we didn’t have any players that could string more than two passes together.

38 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why should you need time to reflect - this has been how it is all season, except for when it was worse. ?

If Rowett couldn't afford young, hungry players last season how is he going to afford (and attract) them next?

So how would you think next season realistically should go? Its very easy to be negative but try to be constructive. 

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

So how would you think next season realistically should go? Its very easy to be negative but try to be constructive. 

I will be as constructive as Rowett is - that's the difficulty isn't it. Most of the positive stuff posted revolves around selling our better players for Rowett to buy more of his choice. So it will be interesting to see in which direction he finds himself able to go. See that was *almost* positive! Lol. G'wan help me out, but be realistic! ?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

I will be as constructive as Rowett is - that's the difficulty isn't it. Most of the positive stuff posted revolves around selling our better players for Rowett to buy more of his choice. So it will be interesting to see in which direction he finds himself able to go. See that was *almost* positive! Lol. G'wan help me out, but be realistic! ?

Knowing (as far as we do) the situation at the club what would you like to see happen? I'm not asking you about Gary Rowett.

Archived