I hope he starts Vydra

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Knowing (as far as we do) the situation at the club what would you like to see happen? I'm not asking you about Gary Rowett.

Well what I wanted to see was young, 'hungry' players being blended into an experienced squad - so that's what I'd like to see. Where is our future?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, curb said:

You're talking about the style of football we play, rather than the system, the system change to three at the back didn't change Vydra's role, or the fact that he looked disinterested when things started to go against us.

I agree that it probably wore him down having to do all that running and chasing back, but we tried him as a striker and he didn't score hardly any last season.

Rowett said at one of the fan forums that he was playing him behind the main striker because he picks the ball up deeper, and can get in the pockets of space between the defence and attack, which is why he's scored so many.

Unfortunately for him (and us), if he's going to play in a forward midfield role he's going to have to do the hard work expected of a player in that position, which is where it all falls down, because he hasn't got the mentality to do it.

What is confusing about your post is you seem to think he's good with the ball at his feet, he isn't really is he? If he gets chance and manages to do his little turn he'll run at defences, but he's not a footballer like Hughes or Cairney, or even Palmer, players always looking to get on the ball and pull strings, Vydra's only interested in getting himself into positions.

I think your last paragraph is spot on. Close enough a goal and with the shot he has those positions are lethal as we saw earlier in the season.

I do disagree with the first paragraph though. He still played behind the striker but the whole attacking balance is different with two behind the striker than one + wingers. Wingers could bring the ball forward run behind the defence and Vydra could use his positional sense to maximum effort. This wasn't happening anymore with Lawrence and Vydra behind the striker. While Lawrence carried the ball (and made a bad decision with it), Vydra was just lost. Straight effort from role twitch.

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

You don’t have to be a Hughes or Cariney to be good on the ball, he likes the ball to feet, he can play one twos around the box, no he is never going to control the game, but he can influence it, but to do so he needs players around him and also the ball.  I’d still say the change in formation also had an impact, going to a back 5 meant we had 7 defensive players, and only three that meant it was a lot easier to defend against, Vydra couldn’t drop into them spaces anymore you mention as we started to play a lot more into the channels.  

We sacrificed our limited attacking intent, and Vyrda suffered as the result of this, we played better in the first half against Fulham with him in the team, because he is a threat, without him last night we didn’t have any players that could string more than two passes together.

We'll have to agree to disagree about his football ability then (or lack of). 

The other point is that Vydra's performances had dropped off long before the change of system. 

I felt that the change of system was to try and freshen things up because the players (and Vydra in particular) had gone stale and we needed to shake things up a bit, a reaction to the drop in performances rather than the cause of them. 

33 minutes ago, curb said:

The other point is that Vydra's performances had dropped off long before the change of system. 

I felt that the change of system was to try and freshen things up because the players (and Vydra in particular) had gone stale and we needed to shake things up a bit, a reaction to the drop in performances rather than the cause of them. 

Did the drop in performances not coincide with the January transfer window though ?  Other than a 3 month period we have been dire for the season, I just felt that we found ourselves in 2nd come January and we brought Jermome in and let others go that meant our attacking options both weakened and didn’t suit Vydra.  

Just now, belperam96 said:

I wonder if Liverpool and Real Madrid will leave Salah and Ronaldo on the bench next saturday? Ridiculous decision to not start either Palmer or Vydra instead of Lawrence.

When you put it like that

46 minutes ago, curb said:

If I'm right in thinking Vydra's impact on games (I'll be careful not to suggest his form) after the Brentford home game where he got clattered early on. He was possibly injured when Rowett kept playing him which didn't help. To me that's when the tweaks to the formation were needed so we could be effective without relying on Vydra. That should have been his focus earlier in the season too and partly what we were punished for after the drop from 2nd.

26 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Did the drop in performances not coincide with the January transfer window though ?  Other than a 3 month period we have been dire for the season, I just felt that we found ourselves in 2nd come January and we brought Jermome in and let others go that meant our attacking options both weakened and didn’t suit Vydra.  

A bit precious is Mr. Vydra, not many systems suit him, now the players we bring in don't suit him. 

Is the colour of the grass OK for him? ?

Archived