Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

26 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I half agree @Tony Le Mesmer, especially when you read about people raping kids getting 8 years. Cocaine smugglers getting 23 years.

The whole lot needs ripping up and starting again.

Personally, make lorries like Faraday cages where no signal can be received, except for navigational purposes.

If everyone knew the score (15 years ban non negotiable ) before using their phones then many many people will think twice about risking it. A good thing . You'll always get those who simply don't give a toss and will still do it anyway.

These are likely to be the more persistent offenders so hopefully they'll get caught one day and be off the roads for 15 years or at the very least they might take more care about driving and using their phones than they did before even though they are still doing it.

Those currently that drive round holding their phones to their ears should also be fined 5,000k in addition just for being total cretins.

Yes there will be loads of people unable to drive their kids to school or drive to work having been caught but there are loads of people out there who manage perfectly well without a car so they need to accept responsibility for being a stupid moron and get on with life as best they can without bleating about it.

Agree about the Brexit thread though Mostyn. Well, Brexit in general really. My life hasn't changed one iota since Brexit and it won't. People are obsessed with it. Just get on with your lives and what happens happens is what I say. The world still turns. We have food, water and can go and watch Derby. What's the problem?

48 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

threads that I am bored of reading, right now, the Brexit or Eurin thread, and the gay footballers thread.

showing as having new posts in the Football and The Pub sections and when you get there, it's threads you have no interest in.

We are going to have to work on 'The Pub' threads, as when Steve Mac makes us all happy the 'Rams Talk' area will be all blue birds on our shoulders and the sun having his hat on. :):):)

3 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Lorry driver today gets 10 years for ploughing into the back of a car and killing children in the process as he was looking at his mobile phone.

What's wrong with this country?!

He should never come out. As it is he'll do about 6 years.

Drivers caught using their phones at the wheel should get a 15 year driving ban. None if this "oh I need to drive for work " sob story crap. Get caught - you don't get behind a wheel for 15 years REGARDLESS. Makes my blood boil the niceness of our laws. Some poor woman has lost her kids and I'm damn sure that if everyone knew they'd be banned for 15 years then the numbers of ****** using them whilst driving and thus the numbers of injuries / fatalities will be reduced.

Common sense to me, AND fair.

Agree with having far stiffer sentences for using mobile phones whilst driving but for it to be effective there needs to get a much greater police presence on the roads - no point if people think there's only a 1 in 10,000 chance of getting caught. Reduce those odds to 1 in 100 and there'd be far more convictions, increased publicity which in itself would further reduce the chances of getting away with using mobiles because, unless you're a complete numpty, you know your day to be caught will come.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Agree with having far stiffer sentences for using mobile phones whilst driving but for it to be effective there needs to get a much greater police presence on the roads - no point if people think there's only a 1 in 10,000 chance of getting caught. Reduce those odds to 1 in 100 and there'd be far more convictions, increased publicity which in itself would further reduce the chances of getting away with using mobiles because, unless you're a complete numpty, you know your day to be caught will come.

I agree wolfie that the reason many people do it is because generally they get away with it. The policing of it is non existent which surprises me. All it needs on some roads is a PCSO in an unmarked car, parked up and taking photos of motorists on the sly. The money raked in from fines would be astronomical, it's that common now. The coppers are missing a trick to make huge amounts of money fir little manpower outlay.

I just think that a 15 year ban regardless will put some people off even those who have done it for ages without getting caught because they know if they DO get caught then its not simply a paltry fine and some points and they go out and do it again. They get caught and its a 15 year driving ban. Its a big deterrent. Currently there is NO deterrent.

4 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Lorry driver today gets 10 years for ploughing into the back of a car and killing children in the process as he was looking at his mobile phone.

Drivers caught using their phones at the wheel should get a 15 year driving ban. None if this "oh I need to drive for work " sob story crap. Get caught - you don't get behind a wheel for 15 years REGARDLESS. Makes my blood boil the niceness of our laws. Some poor woman has lost her kids and I'm damn sure that if everyone knew they'd be banned for 15 years then the numbers of ****** using them whilst driving and thus the numbers of injuries / fatalities will be reduced.

Unfortunately it is more tragic than that. The driver of the car that was hit was two of the children's mother, the third child a family friend. The father and husband of the victims was travelling a few vehicles behind them in another car and he had to witness the devastation. It's one thing to be informed of a fatal accident, it's another to see it. 

The punishment doesn't fit the crime in this particular case in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I agree to this in some respects and to your other post about stiffer penalties.

I do however believe in rehabilitation, I wouldn't have a problem with a ban or big fine for using a phone, not sure I would go along with 15 years, 1 year should be enough detterant for most. I don't have any figures to quote and I may be wrong, but I would expect speeding kills more per year than mobile phone use, do we apply the same detterant to speeders?

I agree the penalty needs to be higher just not sure the levels you quote allow for rehabilitation.

With regards to sentence for this guy, its hard and I am quite sure if I was involved I would want they key throwing away, but I think with any sentence its not just about the punishment its about the chances of reoffending also. I doubt he will, I don't know of course but I doubt it.  Should he be treated the same as someone like peter Sutcliffe? Probably not.

Don't read this as condoning it at all, I am not. 

4 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Unfortunately it is more tragic than that. The driver of the car that was hit was two of the children's mother, the third child a family friend. The father and husband of the victims was travelling a few vehicles behind them in another car and he had to witness the devastation. It's one thing to be informed of a fatal accident, it's another to see it. 

The punishment doesn't fit the crime in this particular case in my opinion.

Wanted to 'like' this but did not seem appropriate.

1 hour ago, Fraser_23 said:

Trick-or-Treaters

I used to think like this but it's not until you have kids that you realise that they get so much out of it. Dressing up and getting free sweets from people most of whom are generally very decent and giving.

I think for younger kids it's really enjoyable and most folk aren't put out by them knocking on doors with their parents, it's when you get groups of older kids that I ignore. Purely because some of them can be rude and obnoxious and I don't want that on my doorstep thanks.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I agree to this in some respects and to your other post about stiffer penalties.

I do however believe in rehabilitation, I wouldn't have a problem with a ban or big fine for using a phone, not sure I would go along with 15 years, 1 year should be enough detterant for most. I don't have any figures to quote and I may be wrong, but I would expect speeding kills more per year than mobile phone use, do we apply the same detterant to speeders?

I agree the penalty needs to be higher just not sure the levels you quote allow for rehabilitation.

With regards to sentence for this guy, its hard and I am quite sure if I was involved I would want they key throwing away, but I think with any sentence its not just about the punishment its about the chances of reoffending also. I doubt he will, I don't know of course but I doubt it.  Should he be treated the same as someone like peter Sutcliffe? Probably not.

Don't read this as condoning it at all, I am not. 

All fair points Paul and I suppose I lean much more towards custodial sentences being there solely as a punishment for a crime committed rather than an opportunity to be rehabilitated.

I think prisoners get a lot of opportunities and help that many ordinary folk struggling day to day don't and this is another issue I have with the penal system.

A bloke who does 10 years for armed robbery should do 10 years and then be released with minimal support. He made the decision to hold up the post office and if by the passing of 10 years he still can't work out that what he did was wrong and shouldn't be done again then he shouldn't be released anyway.

Free health care, free dental care, free food, free gym, free sports facilities, free courses and the list goes on. All things that decent hard working folk struggling day to day maybe could not get access to yet prisoners can.

I don't get this rehab idea to prevent reoffending. If you commit a crime and go to prison then the only thing you need to know is why. Once that is established then if you reoffend you're really a bit simple.

It's about self control and taking responsibility for your actions and if someone can't get a job upon release because they've been inside the last 10 for drink death driving then tough. They just have to deal with it and accept that their actions are the reason why.

It may seem harsh and I concede a little support and guidance whilst inside will no doubt help however, they need to be aware every single day just what their actions have had on others. Not for some sadistic purpose but because victims of their crimes will often be left with a lifetime of grief and suffering.

5 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

All fair points Paul and I suppose I lean much more towards custodial sentences being there solely as a punishment for a crime committed rather than an opportunity to be rehabilitated.

I think prisoners get a lot of opportunities and help that many ordinary folk struggling day to day don't and this is another issue I have with the penal system.

A bloke who does 10 years for armed robbery should do 10 years and then be released with minimal support. He made the decision to hold up the post office and if by the passing of 10 years he still can't work out that what he did was wrong and shouldn't be done again then he shouldn't be released anyway.

Free health care, free dental care, free food, free gym, free sports facilities, free courses and the list goes on. All things that decent hard working folk struggling day to day maybe could not get access to yet prisoners can.

I don't get this rehab idea to prevent reoffending. If you commit a crime and go to prison then the only thing you need to know is why. Once that is established then if you reoffend you're really a bit simple.

It's about self control and taking responsibility for your actions and if someone can't get a job upon release because they've been inside the last 10 for drink death driving then tough. They just have to deal with it and accept that their actions are the reason why.

It may seem harsh and I concede a little support and guidance whilst inside will no doubt help however, they need to be aware every single day just what their actions have had on others. Not for some sadistic purpose but because victims of their crimes will often be left with a lifetime of grief and suffering.

I can't agree with this Tony, surely the chance to educate and rehabilitate once inside is a golden opportunity for prisoners to change their ways, and come out with at least the intention of making a positive contribution to society?

Far cheaper for society as a whole, in many ways, to have prisoners released with at least a chance of making it in the world, than to waste the chance of improving both theirs, and subsequently our way of life.

Anyone who thinks prison is easy needs to step out the door, breathe the air, take a walk and then imagine not being able to do that at your own violition.

Obviously some people should never be released, but far too many people are jailed to look tough on crime, rather than any great societal need.

37 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I used to think like this but it's not until you have kids that you realise that they get so much out of it. Dressing up and getting free sweets from people most of whom are generally very decent and giving.

I think for younger kids it's really enjoyable and most folk aren't put out by them knocking on doors with their parents, it's when you get groups of older kids that I ignore. Purely because some of them can be rude and obnoxious and I don't want that on my doorstep thanks.

When I was young I didn't go around begging for sweets off people. If anything happened on Halloween it was trying to get an apple out of a bowl of water. Also you were lucky if your mum made you a ghost outfit from some old bed sheets not these fancy things you get from Sainsburys. 

So I detest the Americanisation of Halloween and the loss of anything traditional to this country . 

Some customer reviews on sites such as Amazon. You're looking for something and want to have a look at others who have bought the item and what they think, whether it's good, bad or indifferent. The number of idiots who waste their time writing in and more importantly, my time reading their drivel gets right up my nose! I'm not bothered if the item arrived within 2 days and was well packaged and then you get the twerps who say something like "looks good but not used it yet so I'll  give it 5 stars". I hope than when the time comes for you to take it out of its' box and do what you're supposed to with it, the bloody thing falls apart! Now what will you think of those 5 stars?

18 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Some customer reviews on sites such as Amazon. You're looking for something and want to have a look at others who have bought the item and what they think, whether it's good, bad or indifferent. The number of idiots who waste their time writing in and more importantly, my time reading their drivel gets right up my nose! I'm not bothered if the item arrived within 2 days and was well packaged and then you get the twerps who say something like "looks good but not used it yet so I'll  give it 5 stars". I hope than when the time comes for you to take it out of its' box and do what you're supposed to with it, the bloody thing falls apart! Now what

will you think of those 5 stars?

I agree with that. I've seen reviews ranting on about how the delivery man/women left the parcel in the rain/dustbin/dogshit. Also, they complain that it was 'smaller than they realised' even though the dimensions are quoted by the seller.

How can you make an assessment of an item with that drivel.