Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

1 minute ago, SouthStandDan said:

People giving you training, explain a task and then saying "It's dead easy mate."

Yeah, easy for you because you've been doing the job for 10 years...... give me time to learn!

When im training people im worried I go the other way and am too patronising... Can't win!

16 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Probably mentioned this before but it still annoys me....uk tv programmes/news using kilometres per hour for speed or distance. Means nothing to us....use miles/mph!

It is one of those anomalies that we still use imperial miles most of the time when most other stuff is metric now. Mind you, I was taught in metric 30 odd years ago but still always judge distances in miles/feet & inches.

I presume it just sounds more impressive to say something's going at 200km/hour instead of 120mph.

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

It is one of those anomalies that we still use imperial miles most of the time when most other stuff is metric now. Mind you, I was taught in metric 30 odd years ago but still always judge distances in miles/feet & inches.

I presume it just sounds more impressive to say something's going at 200km/hour instead of 120mph.

Could be that. Always have to get the calculator out specially during Astronomy type programmes!

6 minutes ago, BobbyTheReadingFan said:

A girl in my office baffled me today by saying:

"I'm away this weekend... just checked and it's going to be about 75 degrees"

Why o why do some (very few) British people use farenheit. It means nothing to me or the majority here 

I (like many) use Farenheit when it's hot ie 80F, but use Centigrade when it's cold. No idea what -5C is in Farenheit

Sith Happens
7 hours ago, BobbyTheReadingFan said:

A girl in my office baffled me today by saying:

"I'm away this weekend... just checked and it's going to be about 75 degrees"

Why o why do some (very few) British people use farenheit. It means nothing to me or the majority here 

My wife is opposite to you, she will say how warm will it be at the weekend, i say 25, shes then saying 'whats that in big numbers?'

8 hours ago, BobbyTheReadingFan said:

Also why do people wear their watch either he face down so all most people see is the strap?  It makes people look like nutters. 

Never trust anyone that wears a watch like that 

Not had much contact with the military I assume?  Back in the day, before digital and other tech, infantry would turn the watch inward to avoid reflection.  Also it is an easier movement to look at the palm/inner wrist, than the back of it.

16 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Not had much contact with the military I assume?  Back in the day, before digital and other tech, infantry would turn the watch inward to avoid reflection.  Also it is an easier movement to look at the palm/inner wrist, than the back of it.

I've actually had a lot of military exposure, my Dad was in the Army for 24 years, so from birth - 16 I moved around all over the place.  Didn't realise there was any connection between that and the wrist - genuinely very interesting to read that.  

1 hour ago, BobbyTheReadingFan said:

Why do you flip between the two?

That's like saying you use mph when it's <40mph but when you really stick your foot down you switch to kmph

Loads do it. I guess they sound more extreme. 

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

My wife is opposite to you, she will say how warm will it be at the weekend, i say 25, shes then saying 'whats that in big numbers?'

What - she can't simply add 273.15 to convert to Kelvin?

On 01/08/2018 at 19:44, 1of4 said:

Men who don't wash their hands after using a public toilet. It means I then have to touch, with my freshly washed hands, the same door handle that they have just contaminated when opening the door to leave.

My dad used to be an auditor and he was on audit at some company in Derby. The board of directors were all crusty old blokes and dad ended up standing next to one at the urinals. This old boy finishes, takes out his handkerchief, dabs his pecker dry, neatly folds up the hankie and puts it back in his top pocket! That’s a whole new level of grimness.

People - like the stupid woman in my office - who prefer rugby or don't like football but then feel the need to start criticising football. 

The biggest issue I have here is two things:

1) their entire point is formed from what they see on the news and films. They've never been to a football match

2) they're comparing sports. Why is that acceptable. It's like saying "netball is alright but I wish they'd just dribble the ball"... oh so you mean it would then be bloody basketball wouldn't it. 

This one woman continually says things like "yea but in football I hate when players just go down when they've barely been touched, you don't see that in rugby" 

Well:

1) compare the build of a footballer to a rugby player firstly. You stupid woman. They're quite different. 

2) footballers don't train to take hits like rugby or boxing.  They train for skill, precision and tactics. 

3) your view of people going down is more than likely based on some high profile even like a World Cup game or final of some kind. Not from your typical game in the leagues. 

4) often players who do go down are doing so due to being hit quite hard or because for the 10th time they've been floored. It's not until you're up close that you realise that actually players do go in hard, elbows, digs, kicks. 

5) football is not bloody rugby.  Why not compare football with table tennis, cricket, curling?  Why stop at rugby  why don't footballers play on ice ... the ice hockey players do it  

I said to her "I tell you what Carol. You sprint as fast as you can down the corridor. I will chase you and kick your legs away. Then we will see how quickly you get up."

HR weren't too happy about that suggestion. And neither was carol who now doesn't talk to me. Excellent! 

It's not just Carol but sometimes you get fans of the big clubs saying it. Like the huge Man United fan in my office who had only been to Old Trafford once and that was for his 40th birthday. Or the Liverpool fan who hasn't been to Anfield before. 

8 hours ago, BobbyTheReadingFan said:

People - like the stupid woman in my office - who prefer rugby or don't like football but then feel the need to start criticising football. 

The biggest issue I have here is two things:

1) their entire point is formed from what they see on the news and films. They've never been to a football match

2) they're comparing sports. Why is that acceptable. It's like saying "netball is alright but I wish they'd just dribble the ball"... oh so you mean it would then be bloody basketball wouldn't it. 

This one woman continually says things like "yea but in football I hate when players just go down when they've barely been touched, you don't see that in rugby" 

Well:

1) compare the build of a footballer to a rugby player firstly. You stupid woman. They're quite different. 

2) footballers don't train to take hits like rugby or boxing.  They train for skill, precision and tactics. 

3) your view of people going down is more than likely based on some high profile even like a World Cup game or final of some kind. Not from your typical game in the leagues. 

4) often players who do go down are doing so due to being hit quite hard or because for the 10th time they've been floored. It's not until you're up close that you realise that actually players do go in hard, elbows, digs, kicks. 

5) football is not bloody rugby.  Why not compare football with table tennis, cricket, curling?  Why stop at rugby  why don't footballers play on ice ... the ice hockey players do it  

I said to her "I tell you what Carol. You sprint as fast as you can down the corridor. I will chase you and kick your legs away. Then we will see how quickly you get up."

HR weren't too happy about that suggestion. And neither was carol who now doesn't talk to me. Excellent! 

It's not just Carol but sometimes you get fans of the big clubs saying it. Like the huge Man United fan in my office who had only been to Old Trafford once and that was for his 40th birthday. Or the Liverpool fan who hasn't been to Anfield before. 

Clubs that build football grounds bloody miles from anything.... And then make it the worst away day of the season.

On 09/08/2018 at 13:32, TimRam said:

Probably mentioned this before but it still annoys me....uk tv programmes/news using kilometres per hour for speed or distance. Means nothing to us....use miles/mph!

Speak for yourself! Depends on your industry. Bizarrely at work we have a confusing habit of using km/m for distances but some bright spark insists we use mph for spees.