Random stuff that people do that annoy me

Wolfie

Sith Happens
8 hours ago, Coconut said:

It could be argued that if Mostyn is paying that much attention to other drivers' wing mirrors then he himself isn't paying due care and attention to his own driving or the road ahead! Anyway, whatever, I'm not here to have a dig at him really.

Today's idiot driver deserving of my opprobrium performed a near perfect showcase of one of my pet peeves - people who don't properly adapt their speed when joining an A road from a (decent length) slip road. I've mentioned this before.

It's OK mate, you just trundle along the entire length of the slip road at 50mph during rush hour with me stuck behind you, it's not like you're going (and subsequently I'm going) 10-15mph slower than the duck-off 40 tonne lorry closing in on us or anything. Who d'ya think he going to crush first if you don't get a move on?

Funnily enough there is such a thing as driving too slowly.

There is actually, its just not a defined law.

The highway code states you should make 'good progress', you are also supposed to, if travelling in a slow moving vehicle and holding up traffic, supposed to pull over when safe and let the traffic go past. I guess if someone didnt do this (which they rarely do), they might be able to be charged with driving without due care and attention. Cant imagine it happens though as its easier to catch people who are speeding.

The roads are full of people who cause congestion from driving too slow, either on a single carriageway or worse still on a dual carriageway or motorway. Fine if you want to do 50 thats ok, just stay in lane 1. If you need to overtake then at least try and speed up in order to do so and not hold up those who are able to drive at a faster speed.

42 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

There is actually, its just not a defined law.

The highway code states you should make 'good progress', you are also supposed to, if travelling in a slow moving vehicle and holding up traffic, supposed to pull over when safe and let the traffic go past. I guess if someone didnt do this (which they rarely do), they might be able to be charged with driving without due care and attention. Cant imagine it happens though as its easier to catch people who are speeding.

The roads are full of people who cause congestion from driving too slow, either on a single carriageway or worse still on a dual carriageway or motorway. Fine if you want to do 50 thats ok, just stay in lane 1. If you need to overtake then at least try and speed up in order to do so and not hold up those who are able to drive at a faster speed.

I don't think it is. If you're on a dual carriageway or motorway, you should at least be able to keep up with the lorries limited to 56mph. I live close to the A1 so use it loads (2 lanes) and the number of times I get stuck behind lorries taking ages to overtake and the realise it's a car doing 55 that's causing the hold up. It's not safe.

Either drive at closer to 60 or, if you're being overtaken, ease off to 50 to let them past in good time - but that annoys me about lorries being overtaken also - if the slower one just lets them past a bit quicker it could remove a lot of bottlenecks.

On 01/08/2018 at 23:47, Coconut said:

Today's idiot driver deserving of my opprobrium performed a near perfect showcase of one of my pet peeves - people who don't properly adapt their speed when joining an A road from a (decent length) slip road. I've mentioned this before.

It's OK mate, you just trundle along the entire length of the slip road at 50mph during rush hour with me stuck behind you, it's not like you're going (and subsequently I'm going) 10-15mph slower than the duck-off 40 tonne lorry closing in on us or anything. Who d'ya think he going to crush first if you don't get a move on?

Also one of my pet hates, and also bloody dangerous. 

The other day this person in a Honda Jazz left a petrol station and instead of driving up to speed on the 50m sleep road, they pulled straight onto the dual carriageway at a speed of about 10mph.  About two lorries had to somehow divert from their lane.  Was nearly a terrible accident. 

Another pet hate is cars over taking lorries on a dual carraigeway or motorway, but doing so at about 60-65 mph.  It just stalls and holds up the rest of the traffic.  At least bloody stick your foot down to get to 70 and over take before pulling back in 

23 hours ago, BobbyTheReadingFan said:

Also one of my pet hates, and also bloody dangerous. 

The other day this person in a Honda Jazz left a petrol station and instead of driving up to speed on the 50m sleep road, they pulled straight onto the dual carriageway at a speed of about 10mph.  About two lorries had to somehow divert from their lane.  Was nearly a terrible accident. 

Another pet hate is cars over taking lorries on a dual carraigeway or motorway, but doing so at about 60-65 mph.  It just stalls and holds up the rest of the traffic.  At least bloody stick your foot down to get to 70 and over take before pulling back in 

I hate it when you dominate a first half but don't take your chances and lose to a last minute goal.

?

Weird internet forum language. I've never liked how people say "This" to a post they like. This what? If I just said "this" in real life id probably really confuse people. (I'm setting myself up for someone to randomly annoy me here).

One I've noticed recently is people who start a reply with "Genuine question." Is there some reason to think they wouldnt be genuine?

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, StringerBell said:

Weird internet forum language. I've never liked how people say "This" to a post they like. This what? If I just said "this" in real life id probably really confuse people. (I'm setting myself up for someone to randomly annoy me here).

One I've noticed recently is people who start a reply with "Genuine question." Is there some reason to think they wouldnt be genuine?

This ^

Sith Happens
28 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

People who fill their cars up at a pump, leave them there and then take 20 mins getting a Gregs and coffee.. FFS move your car off the pumps, park in a space and then get your weekly shop. Some of us just want to fill the bloody car with fuel.

Or when you pull up behind them,  they are sat in their car. 1 minute later you are thinking ok you must be on your way,  then they get out and start the process of filling up, but not until they have stared at the pay by card options looking confused as though its all written in Chinese or something.

Then they do their weekly shop.

51 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

People who fill their cars up at a pump, leave them there and then take 20 mins getting a Gregs and coffee.. FFS move your car off the pumps, park in a space and then get your weekly shop. Some of us just want to fill the bloody car with fuel.

You do your weekly shopping at Greggs?

On 04/08/2018 at 10:13, sage said:

I hate it when you dominate a first half but don't take your chances and lose to a last minute goal.

?

Funnily enough I hate that too!  Was not a fun end to the game, gutting to be honest.  

I thought a draw was a very fair result.  From a Reading point of view I wanted to win just so that the hangover from last year was over and also a fairly underwhelming pre-season was put behind us. 

We have Notts Forest (hehe) next, that's away.  I'm fairly confident if we can play like we did we can get a win.