An Embarrassing Meeting With Nigel Clough

Bob The Badger

About ten years ago my mum passed away. I’d not long moved to Florida and immediately got a flight home to make all the arrangements.

I stayed with one of my sisters in Darley Dale and on the first night Julian, my brother-in-law, (who for his sins supports Hereford!) gave me his copy of 'The Damned United' to read.

I was aware of the book and the furor it had created in the Clough household, but for some reason had never read it. 

I was immediately sucked in and couldn’t put it down. Reading about games that I remembered attending was incredible and brought waves of nostalgia flooding back. Also as my dad was good friends with Sam Longson I also remember the shenanigans going on.

It’s easy to look back now and think ‘what one earth were the board thinking of, winding up Cloughie to the extent that he walked out?’

But it really wasn’t that clear cut at the time. I spoke many times to my dad in later years and he bitterly regretted siding with Sam from a footballing perspective. But Brian created most of the problems for himself, he was seriously embarrassing the directors with his comments on TV. 

What we see now as personality, confidence, humor and Cloughie being Cloughie, looked more like arrogance and a man thinking he was bigger than the club at the time. As much of a giant as he was, he was never bigger than the club as Dave McKay demonstrated 3-years later.

I think we got him 10 years too early because if we’d have had the slightly more mature and reasonable Brian Clough we’d have been a massive force to be reckoned with. Such is life.

Anyway I digress, but I do think ‘The Damned United’ is probably the best sports book I have ever read, but then again I’m massively biased.

A couple of days after I’d got there and we were clearing out my mums stuff and going through boxes of memorabilia. My sister found a copy of the Bakewell Parish Magazine for the week after I was born with the announcement of my arrival. Yeh they did weird stuff like that back in 1962!

My sister is huge on things like that and insisted I took it, so I did and slid it in the outside pocket of my laptop case.

The day I came to fly back I handed the book back to Julian. ‘Have you finished it? he asked. ‘No, but I’m close’ I responded. he insisted I took the book and as I’d left in a hurry and not brought anything to read with me I was grateful of something to read on the flight home.

I finished the book and as I was waiting to get off in Orlando I put it into my laptop case alongside the Parish Magazine. 

For those of you who have flown into Orlando International you’ll know it’s a pain in the ass, especially when you get more than one flight coming in from the UK at roughly the same time. It was crazy busy and I was sat on one of the conveyors that wasn’t being used waiting for my suitcase and then I saw him.

He must have flown in on a flight before me because our luggage hadn’t begun to come through, but about 10 feet in front of me was Nigel and a large group of assorted kids and a woman who I was pretty sure was Barbara Clough collecting their luggage of a conveyor.

They looked like they were ready to go so I thought I’d go and say hello and grab an autograph. I walked up to him and said, ‘Hiya Nigel I’m a big fan of you and was of your dad, could I grab an autograph please?’ ‘Sure’ he smiled. 

As I rummaged in my bag for something he could sign I muttered something about wanting to see him at Derby one day. I pulled out the Parish Magazine and immediately thought that wasn’t suitable.

I put it back and pulled out ‘The Damned United’ without even thinking. I opened the cover and thrust the book at him to sign on the blank first page. He was about to sign and then he hesitated and flipped the cover forward.

He took one look at the cover and thrust the pen and book into my hand and turned to pick up his bags and walk away without saying a word.

I was sooo embarrassed, it never for one moment crossed my mind as to what I was doing giving him the book. He must have thought I was setting him up. I mean come on, can you imagine having THAT book, a book denounced by the family actually signed by Nigel Clough?

I don’t think I moved for a minute, I just stood there staring at him and his family disappear out of arrivals. When he came to Derby I toyed with writing to him to apologize and say it had been a genuine error, but I figured he wouldn’t remember anyway.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Villa supporting mate of mine delivers supplies to the Pirelli Stadium.

He was met by someone he recognised and said...'You're Nigel Clough!"

"I know who I am, but who are you?"

"I'm delivering supplies for the team."

"Then you're welcome, you're a vital part of our team here at Burton!"

He said Nige came over as a friendly bloke with a keen sense of humour.

Well, just remember who his dad was!?

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

About ten years ago my mum passed away. I’d not long moved to Florida and immediately got a flight home to make all the arrangements.

I stayed with one of my sisters in Darley Dale and on the first night Julian, my brother-in-law, (who for his sins supports Hereford!) gave me his copy of 'The Damned United' to read.

I was aware of the book and the furor it had created in the Clough household, but for some reason had never read it. 

I was immediately sucked in and couldn’t put it down. Reading about games that I remembered attending was incredible and brought waves of nostalgia flooding back. Also as my dad was good friends with Sam Longson I also remember the shenanigans going on.

It’s easy to look back now and think ‘what one earth were the board thinking of, winding up Cloughie to the extent that he walked out?’

But it really wasn’t that clear cut at the time. I spoke many times to my dad in later years and he bitterly regretted siding with Sam from a footballing perspective. But Brian created most of the problems for himself, he was seriously embarrassing the directors with his comments on TV. 

What we see now as personality, confidence, humor and Cloughie being Cloughie, looked more like arrogance and a man thinking he was bigger than the club at the time. As much of a giant as he was, he was never bigger than the club as Dave McKay demonstrated 3-years later.

I think we got him 10 years too early because if we’d have had the slightly more mature and reasonable Brian Clough we’d have been a massive force to be reckoned with. Such is life.

Anyway I digress, but I do think ‘The Damned United’ is probably the best sports book I have ever read, but then again I’m massively biased.

A couple of days after I’d got there and we were clearing out my mums stuff and going through boxes of memorabilia. My sister found a copy of the Bakewell Parish Magazine for the week after I was born with the announcement of my arrival. Yeh they did weird stuff like that back in 1962!

My sister is huge on things like that and insisted I took it, so I did and slid it in the outside pocket of my laptop case.

The day I came to fly back I handed the book back to Julian. ‘Have you finished it? he asked. ‘No, but I’m close’ I responded. he insisted I took the book and as I’d left in a hurry and not brought anything to read with me I was grateful of something to read on the flight home.

I finished the book and as I was waiting to get off in Orlando I put it into my laptop case alongside the Parish Magazine. 

For those of you who have flown into Orlando International you’ll know it’s a pain in the ass, especially when you get more than one flight coming in from the UK at roughly the same time. It was crazy busy and I was sat on one of the conveyors that wasn’t being used waiting for my suitcase and then I saw him.

He must have flown in on a flight before me because our luggage hadn’t begun to come through, but about 10 feet in front of me was Nigel and a large group of assorted kids and a woman who I was pretty sure was Barbara Clough collecting their luggage of a conveyor.

They looked like they were ready to go so I thought I’d go and say hello and grab an autograph. I walked up to him and said, ‘Hiya Nigel I’m a big fan of you and was of your dad, could I grab an autograph please?’ ‘Sure’ he smiled. 

As I rummaged in my bag for something he could sign I muttered something about wanting to see him at Derby one day. I pulled out the Parish Magazine and immediately thought that wasn’t suitable.

I put it back and pulled out ‘The Damned United’ without even thinking. I opened the cover and thrust the book at him to sign on the blank first page. He was about to sign and then he hesitated and flipped the cover forward.

He took one look at the cover and thrust the pen and book into my hand and turned to pick up his bags and walk away without saying a word.

I was sooo embarrassed, it never for one moment crossed my mind as to what I was doing giving him the book. He must have thought I was setting him up. I mean come on, can you imagine having THAT book, a book denounced by the family actually signed by Nigel Clough?

I don’t think I moved for a minute, I just stood there staring at him and his family disappear out of arrivals. When he came to Derby I toyed with writing to him to apologize and say it had been a genuine error, but I figured he wouldn’t remember anyway.

I know a Julian from Derbyshire who supports Hereford , can't be many of them can they ? 

I thought this (link below) was a great football / sport read too. So good in fact, you can ‘excuse’ the timeline. It’s about the man first and foremost. A fascinating read and superbly written.

(anyway, as good as DU is, it does finish with a reference to notts which is annoying but hardly surprising, given the storyline of success and obsession etc).

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/provided-you-dont-kiss-me-by-duncan-hamilton-763980.html%3famp

1 minute ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

I thought this (link below) was a great football / sport read too. So good in fact, you can ‘excuse’ the timeline. It’s about the man first and foremost. A fascinating read and superbly written.

(anyway, as good as DU is, it does finish with a reference to notts which is annoying but hardly surprising, given the storyline of success and obsession etc).

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/provided-you-dont-kiss-me-by-duncan-hamilton-763980.html%3famp

I have this book if someone wants to give it a good home.

6 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Don’t want to hijack the thread but what’s everyone’s top football books? I’m after a new one!

I'm reading the autobiography of a certain Brian Clough right now. Got it off eBay.

It may not be the best football book I've ever read but it's in the top one!

(original eh? Well the book is anyway!)

10 minutes ago, steve brummie said:

I'm reading the autobiography of a certain Brian Clough right now. Got it off eBay.

It may not be the best football book I've ever read but it's in the top one!

(original eh? Well the book is anyway!)

which one, there are supposedly a few.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Just a point @Bob The Badger of fact: NC was the Derby manager when the book was published. 

Archived