An Embarrassing Meeting With Nigel Clough

Bob The Badger

22 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Sweeper-1.jpg

WT....

Had to look this up and I seem to remember these now. 

Here’s bum face’s review of his own books:

Asked if he planned to write anymore, Bruce explained: "No, have you read them? Go and read them and you'll understand why”.

i admire his honesty!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

I thought this (link below) was a great football / sport read too. So good in fact, you can ‘excuse’ the timeline. It’s about the man first and foremost. A fascinating read and superbly written.

(anyway, as good as DU is, it does finish with a reference to notts which is annoying but hardly surprising, given the storyline of success and obsession etc).

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/provided-you-dont-kiss-me-by-duncan-hamilton-763980.html%3famp

Agreed...it’s a great account. Duncan Hamilton was the Nottm Evening Post’s sports journo. I love his intro about how he went down to Notts County to interview Jimmy Sirrill but got short-shrift so sidled down to Florist to try BC...tells some rare stories that have not been aired much. Duncan Hamilton has also written great accounts of Harold Larwood and iirc Gary Sobers. Defo recommend. 

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Agreed...it’s a great account. Duncan Hamilton was the Nottm Evening Post’s sports journo. I love his intro about how he went down to Notts County to interview Jimmy Sirrill but got short-shrift so sidled down to Florist to try BC...tells some rare stories that have not been aired much. Duncan Hamilton has also written great accounts of Harold Larwood and iirc Gary Sobers. Defo recommend. 

I love the bit near the beginning where BC gives him a whisky (which he hates) and he chucks it in a plant pot when he’s not looking. So BC gives him an even bigger one in appreciation! All before 10am.

Without having a nip or 5, he won’t get the stories, so he has to drink up or find ingenious ways of getting rid.

Funny, when you think back, manager of the month always got a super massive bottle of Bells whisky. And I bet BC won a fair few.

Actually, you know what; I’m going to read it again. 

11 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

He wasn't mate. My mum died in 2007 and he didn't become boss until 2009.

The book was published in August of 2006.

You may be thinking of the movie, he was manager when that came out.

Crikey, almost 10 years since Nigel arrived. I thought something special was about to begin. 

And people say I’m not patient!

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Try 'With Clough' by Peter Taylor imo one of the best football books ever written worth trying to hunt a copy down 

I read that one many moons ago. The bit where he took Cloughie to see a certain unknown called Gary Birtles play and Brian told him 'don't ever waste my time like that again' is hilarious!

That's on eBay anorl BTW

15 hours ago, steve brummie said:

I read that one many moons ago. The bit where he took Cloughie to see a certain unknown called Gary Birtles play and Brian told him 'don't ever waste my time like that again' is hilarious!

That's on eBay anorl BTW

Yep - 'I've seen Birtles and the Bovril was better than he was' - classic. The book price on eBay is holding up well...

Archived